The Student Room Group

How to cope with Academic failure

My A Level results weren't as great as they were throughout the year nor what I'd imagined I would get and now I feel like absolute ****. I feel like less of a person and that no one will ever love me because of this. I feel like I've let myself down and that I'll be labelled as 'dumb' forever and beneath those that got higher grades than me.

The worse part of it all is that I couldn't help my situation and my life has always been empty but this was the one thing I wanted and I couldn't even get this. Now I feel terrible everyday and whenever I try and think that it's gonna be okay I feel disgusting again and like I should die because it's never going to get better. My pain and suffering didn't start with my education but it has certainly made it worse and now I have no idea how to cope with myself as I'm starting uni soon and all these self-esteem issues make it seem impossible to live anymore.

Please help me.
Reply 1
Don't dwell on it. Those results may seem like a big deal now but in the bigger picture of your life, it is just one small detail. Please, don't let it ruin your life. No one will think those negative things about you (and if you meet someone at school who does, get away from them). You are being too hard on yourself. Those results don't determine what the rest of your life will look like. You can still have a great future.
Original post by apple32
Don't dwell on it. Those results may seem like a big deal now but in the bigger picture of your life, it is just one small detail. Please, don't let it ruin your life. No one will think those negative things about you (and if you meet someone at school who does, get away from them). You are being too hard on yourself. Those results don't determine what the rest of your life will look like. You can still have a great future.

I feel like I'll always be beneath those who got their straight A*'s despite me having the same potential and even if I outperform them at uni it won't make a difference :frown:
You are starting a new chapter in your life, You are going to uni for the first time! You should go with fresh eyes and use this opportunity to work hard and meet new people. Join societies, volunteer in an animal shelter...

Like apple32 said, please don't think of the past. Use it as a learning experience to help you later on in life. Failing will help you become a stronger person.

I myself didn't do well in A-Levels and when I read your post, it felt like going back in time. I definitely had the same feelings like you are doing right now. They are terrible. It sounds cheesy to say but it definitely gets better. Surround yourself with people who will cheer you on. Do things you love for the rest of the summer.

The first year, I am assuming, is all about recapping on A-Levels and getting everyone on the same pace right?

You can do it :smile:

I would be happy to chat via PM if you would like x
Reply 4
Don't compare yourself to other people. There is always someone who is going to be taller, smarter, etc. Knowing that how will you ever feel good about yourself? Everyone would just be miserable if we kept comparing ourselves to others. Just because someone got perfect grades, doesn't mean that their life will turn out better than yours'. Their personal life might not even be pleasant. It's just one aspect of life. You still should go out and enjoy your life. In the end - even in the future 10-15 years from now, you're not going to care about those results. There are so many important things that you will need to focus on instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending