Goblin228
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have just finished year 12 with getting DDE in Bio chem and physics respectively. I know it’s ridiculous that i done these options without maths but my school was not allowing me to do a level maths when I enrolled into the sixthform because I got a 6, and I didn’t want to go to another school because i applied to a selective school which I thought was good. Okay so here’s the thing, i want to study physics in the future as its the only subject i genuinely enjoyed and looked forward to of all three and i have loved it since gcse. On enrolment day I thought to myself il just find an alternative way to get into physics throughout the year. I started off with getting bad grades in my tests for all of my subjects but then I improved with hard work and I thought i could get the grades if i worked hard. I have done many extra curriculars for physics and even 2 work experiences. However i was always a step behind in physics because everyone else done maths and i realised how detrimental it is not doing maths is on me. I focused so much on physics that i started to pay less attention to bio and chem and hence as a result i done bad in those in my end of year test as well as still doing bad in physics after all my hard work. By hard work i mean doing past paper questions and going over my weak points watching videos etc. I also had to start ucas stuff so i had no idea on how to go about my path to physics so i done alot of research. I was going to do maths in a gap year but my teaches have said my current grades are going to be bad if i do it separately. Then i saw some unis accept you onto foundation courses with no maths but still, to me i want to get good grades in all the subjects i do which is impossible without maths ideally three As so i scrapped that. My teacher recommended I retake year 12 which i was against at first but then thought it would actually be beneficial, however on emailing the school they have said they don’t allow retakes and il have to move to another school or continue with my current subjects onto year 13 (which i think is a bad idea as i don’t feel ready to move onto year 13 and the year 13s in my actually didn’t do as well as they were predicted which was the main reason i started thinking my life all over again). So currently i am searching for schools near me that allow me to do maths with a 6 and i have found a few. But I really do have some concerns as i feel like this is all a big gamble. I haven’t done maths for a year and i only got a 6, i keep thinking is this worth it. What if i do bad again? I have no idea if what i am doing is the most rational. Oh yeah also i loved maths at gcse so I really did want to continue it onto year 12 so im not only doing this for the sake of physics and ngl I really want to drop chemistry now because im not doing that well and im not enjoying it as much anyway. So yeah any advise would be greatly appreciated!! Wow this feels so much better to have been typen out rather than being kept all in my head cos it feels like my heads messed up atm. Anyways sorry for the reallllyyy long ramble! Id be eternally grateful for any help! I feel like i have no where to turn. Thanks in advance

Oh yeah also if ur wondering why i got a 6, in my secondary school i have had supply teachers almost the whole 5 years. Since we were under the new reform of gcse my teacher also didn’t finish teaching the content. I took initiative and taught myself all of maths in a year in year 11 because i realised depending on teachers isn’t going to cut it at that point. I was getting A*s in the old spec but then i dropped all the way to a 6 for new. I wish i had more time to revise but what’s done was done and i was lucky to have even passed in my set let alone get a 6 so im glad I started doing it my own way rather than the teachers. I was hoping to get a 7 at least.

Anyways thats that
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Goblin228)
I have just finished year 12 with getting DDE in Bio chem and physics respectively. I know it’s ridiculous that i done these options without maths but my school was not allowing me to do a level maths when I enrolled into the sixthform because I got a 6, and I didn’t want to go to another school because i applied to a selective school which I thought was good. Okay so here’s the thing, i want to study physics in the future as its the only subject i genuinely enjoyed and looked forward to of all three and i have loved it since gcse. On enrolment day I thought to myself il just find an alternative way to get into physics throughout the year. I started off with getting bad grades in my tests for all of my subjects but then I improved with hard work and I thought i could get the grades if i worked hard. I have done many extra curriculars for physics and even 2 work experiences. However i was always a step behind in physics because everyone else done maths and i realised how detrimental it is not doing maths is on me. I focused so much on physics that i started to pay less attention to bio and chem and hence as a result i done bad in those in my end of year test as well as still doing bad in physics after all my hard work. By hard work i mean doing past paper questions and going over my weak points watching videos etc. I also had to start ucas stuff so i had no idea on how to go about my path to physics so i done alot of research. I was going to do maths in a gap year but my teaches have said my current grades are going to be bad if i do it separately. Then i saw some unis accept you onto foundation courses with no maths but still, to me i want to get good grades in all the subjects i do which is impossible without maths ideally three As so i scrapped that. My teacher recommended I retake year 12 which i was against at first but then thought it would actually be beneficial, however on emailing the school they have said they don’t allow retakes and il have to move to another school or continue with my current subjects onto year 13 (which i think is a bad idea as i don’t feel ready to move onto year 13 and the year 13s in my actually didn’t do as well as they were predicted which was the main reason i started thinking my life all over again). So currently i am searching for schools near me that allow me to do maths with a 6 and i have found a few. But I really do have some concerns as i feel like this is all a big gamble. I haven’t done maths for a year and i only got a 6, i keep thinking is this worth it. What if i do bad again? I have no idea if what i am doing is the most rational. Oh yeah also i loved maths at gcse so I really did want to continue it onto year 12 so im not only doing this for the sake of physics and ngl I really want to drop chemistry now because im not doing that well and im not enjoying it as much anyway. So yeah any advise would be greatly appreciated!! Wow this feels so much better to have been typen out rather than being kept all in my head cos it feels like my heads messed up atm. Anyways sorry for the reallllyyy long ramble! Id be eternally grateful for any help! I feel like i have no where to turn. Thanks in advance

Oh yeah also if ur wondering why i got a 6, in my secondary school i have had supply teachers almost the whole 5 years. Since we were under the new reform of gcse my teacher also didn’t finish teaching the content. I took initiative and taught myself all of maths in a year in year 11 because i realised depending on teachers isn’t going to cut it at that point. I was getting A*s in the old spec but then i dropped all the way to a 6 for new. I wish i had more time to revise but what’s done was done and i was lucky to have even passed in my set let alone get a 6 so im glad I started doing it my own way rather than the teachers. I was hoping to get a 7 at least.

Anyways thats that
You have a choice to either:
1. Resit your maths gcse. See if any unis need maths A level with your Physics A level.
2. Drop chem, and pick up maths A levels so you can try to complete it in 1 year to continue to year 13.
3. Resit year 12 else where.
4. Do a foundation year before you start your degree.
5. Work hard and see what you can do with the A levels you are taking.

Hope that helped. Ask your parents, or teachers for some advice too. They probably know you best, and know what you can manage.
Goblin228
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by MKaur18)
You have a choice to either:
1. Resit your maths gcse. See if any unis need maths A level with your Physics A level.
2. Drop chem, and pick up maths A levels so you can try to complete it in 1 year to continue to year 13.
3. Resit year 12 else where.
4. Do a foundation year before you start your degree.
5. Work hard and see what you can do with the A levels you are taking.

Hope that helped. Ask your parents, or teachers for some advice too. They probably know you best, and know what you can manage.
Thank you for your response! I can’t afford to retake gcse as my family are financially unstable. I think resiting year 12 else where is best but im worried if i fail again...
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Goblin228)
Thank you for your response! I can’t afford to retake gcse as my family are financially unstable. I think resiting year 12 else where is best but im worried if i fail again...
You could ask your college or centre to if they have an opportunities to help fund the resit, although it is probably unlikely.

Resitting year 12 will be easier maybe as you have done the year, but year 13 is also challenging. You need to keep up practising and don’t give up on your dreams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (591)
34.02%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.45%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads