username2277483
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
is there still a possibility of getting past the raf medical if you have to have heart scans? Nothing wrong with my heart but I have to have heart scans due to my 10 year after plan from cancer. I’ve passed on call firefighter fitness test etc, I don’t smoke or anything and my heart is fine, and has been proven over the years with past heart scans, it’s just procedure, can I still get in or is there no chance at all?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by william hart)
is there still a possibility of getting past the raf medical if you have to have heart scans? Nothing wrong with my heart but I have to have heart scans due to my 10 year after plan from cancer. I’ve passed on call firefighter fitness test etc, I don’t smoke or anything and my heart is fine, and has been proven over the years with past heart scans, it’s just procedure, can I still get in or is there no chance at all?
The heart scan isn't the issue, the childhood/early adult cancer will be. You'll have to have a special consideration case for that. If that's OK, and they will consider why the cancer might have had an impact on your heart and require the tests, then the tests themselves won't be an issue.
username2277483
Rep:
?
I see! Basically the chemo I had was strong and could’ve affected my heart, I’ve had these echo scans for years now and my heart has been absolutely fine, so does this mean there is still a chance for me?! I’ve been put off by lots of people and it’s been difficult as I’ve wanted the raf since I was very young:/. Thank you so much for getting back to me quickly. Very best wishes
(Original post by threeportdrift)
The heart scan isn't the issue, the childhood/early adult cancer will be. You'll have to have a special consideration case for that. If that's OK, and they will consider why the cancer might have had an impact on your heart and require the tests, then the tests themselves won't be an issue.
JackBandicoot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got in the Army with LVH, don't tell anyone though
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I see! Basically the chemo I had was strong and could’ve affected my heart, I’ve had these echo scans for years now and my heart has been absolutely fine, so does this mean there is still a chance for me?!
Nobody here can really answer that.

I found this in a 2013 medical document:

"Malignancy (cancer)
Most cancers are considered to place an applicant below the medical entry standard.
Exceptions: some cancers in childhood or early adult life that have been successfully treated and are regarded as cured. Consideration of this category will be undertaken by the RAF medical staff."
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I see! Basically the chemo I had was strong and could’ve affected my heart, I’ve had these echo scans for years now and my heart has been absolutely fine, so does this mean there is still a chance for me?! I’ve been put off by lots of people and it’s been difficult as I’ve wanted the raf since I was very young:/. Thank you so much for getting back to me quickly. Very best wishes
You will have to make an application at the appropriate time, and when you medical records show childhood cancer, your docs will go to the medical experts for consideration.

I think you have to be realistic, the point of the medical check at entry is not to see that you are fit right now, but to anticipate that if the tax payer invests millions in you training etc, you will still be fit when you retire from service aged 55. Service life can by physically tough, and they aren't keen on taking on people that might only make it to their thirties or forties in the same fully-fit condition.

In your case, the repeated tests suggest that there is no time limit where a secondary effect of the chemo on your heart might occur, I fear that will lead to exclusion. If say, you'd only had the checks for 5 years, and then they were able to say, 'if nothing has happened by now it's not going to', then you might be OK, but they are still checking for something 10 years later.
username2277483
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
You will have to make an application at the appropriate time, and when you medical records show childhood cancer, your docs will go to the medical experts for consideration.

I think you have to be realistic, the point of the medical check at entry is not to see that you are fit right now, but to anticipate that if the tax payer invests millions in you training etc, you will still be fit when you retire from service aged 55. Service life can by physically tough, and they aren't keen on taking on people that might only make it to their thirties or forties in the same fully-fit condition.

In your case, the repeated tests suggest that there is no time limit where a secondary effect of the chemo on your heart might occur, I fear that will lead to exclusion. If say, you'd only had the checks for 5 years, and then they were able to say, 'if nothing has happened by now it's not going to', then you might be OK, but they are still checking for something 10 years later.
I see, thank you so much for your detailed response, so I will need my doctors to back me up and prove that I am fine, but it’s just protocol as I am 10 years clear and my doctor said I am fine just like a normal person, I really hope it will be ok but it’s going to take a while with the raf reviewing everything, thank you again mate!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (76)
16.67%
No one else does (141)
30.92%
I'm embarrassed about my background (51)
11.18%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (159)
34.87%
We don't use a video platform (7)
1.54%
I don't have a camera (10)
2.19%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (12)
2.63%

Watched Threads