The Student Room Group

Is University better in the UK or USA?

I have just finished my GCSEs and I am worried about universities because that's all my teachers keep asking about.

I am considering university life in America and want to study medicine. But I am worried about the life there and differences to USA.
What would they look at? Would they look at my GCSEs? Because they do finals or something right?
How would you pay for it?
Original post by kaui22
I have just finished my GCSEs and I am worried about universities because that's all my teachers keep asking about.

I am considering university life in America and want to study medicine. But I am worried about the life there and differences to USA.
What would they look at? Would they look at my GCSEs? Because they do finals or something right?

I’m not sure how they would look into your grades, its worth emailing them and asking them how you would go about applying just to get more information. However as I’m doing nursing I know that England have the most highly qualified nurses so that basically means we can work in other countries like America or Australia without having to have any extra training so that’s worth considering as well, although I’m not sure if it’s the same for medicine x
Original post by kaui22

America treats you like a child. you're judged not old enough to study medicine (in addition to alcohol), so you have to complete your 4 year bachelors degree before doing medicine as a postgrad.

you're also judged not old enough to do a degree subject, so you have to do liberal arts where your Major can only be a max. of 40% of your degree. the other 60% is evenly split between electives (any subjects you choose) and General Ed which is english, maths and then lots of wishy washy PC stuff.
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm sure someone more in the know will come along and correct me if I'm slightly off, but from what I know...

To get into US colleges, you need to complete a High School diploma equivalent and possibly advanced placement classes (APs). This roughly equates to GCSEs + A-Levels.

There's actually some debate stating British A-Levels are significantly harder to US APs e.g. since they include Multiple Choice Questions and the occasional short answer prose questions and essay questions.

I believe you need APs to get into the Ivy League Colleges, but can get into the less prestigious ones without. You need A-Levels minimum to get into ANY British Unis... That says something about the equivalency :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending