The Student Room Group

Can't find sixth form

I just finished year 12 and recieved horrible grades (which I was not surprised about as I wanted to retake anyway), however I had a meeting with my head of year and he said that I may not be able to retake at the same school. So the meeting was at 2PM on the exact same day as GCSE results day which also meant the Year 11s were enrolling for 6th form. As I was informed so late, I couldn't even enroll to other schools. Now I have tried calling and emailing some sixth forms but only got sent to voicemail. Heck, I even went to a few to see if I could talk to a member of staff and nobody was there. I really want to retake year 12 but I don't know what options I have left and I feel as if my school had just forsaken me without giving me any information or further notice...
Original post by Pataccino
I just finished year 12 and recieved horrible grades (which I was not surprised about as I wanted to retake anyway), however I had a meeting with my head of year and he said that I may not be able to retake at the same school. So the meeting was at 2PM on the exact same day as GCSE results day which also meant the Year 11s were enrolling for 6th form. As I was informed so late, I couldn't even enroll to other schools. Now I have tried calling and emailing some sixth forms but only got sent to voicemail. Heck, I even went to a few to see if I could talk to a member of staff and nobody was there. I really want to retake year 12 but I don't know what options I have left and I feel as if my school had just forsaken me without giving me any information or further notice...

Sounds like you're in a sticky situation, no school or Sixth Form should leave you hanging. They are there to help you get through A-Levels and if they can't help you, maybe you would be better elsewhere. If you don't mind me asking, is there a reason you want to retake? Most schools should allow it.
Reply 2
Original post by AJ_3003
Sounds like you're in a sticky situation, no school or Sixth Form should leave you hanging. They are there to help you get through A-Levels and if they can't help you, maybe you would be better elsewhere. If you don't mind me asking, is there a reason you want to retake? Most schools should allow it.

Well during the middle of the year I wanted to retake anyway because I wanted to change my subjects as they weren't for me. I was forced to pick maths by parents so I didn't particularly enjoy or do well in that and I also picked art and product design which I'm good at, but the workload was too much for me since they're coursework heavy subjects. When I got my results for year 12 they weren't that great either with my highest being a B in art, and I know I could have done a lot better.
Reply 3
Have you researched into colleges nearby that offer A Levels? I remember I was in the same rut as you are last year and my secondary school was against me resitting there again. Colleges around this time of year are very rapid with replies etc, my college got back to me half an hour after emailing them in a hectic rush and enrolling online.
Reply 4
Original post by azh1207
Have you researched into colleges nearby that offer A Levels? I remember I was in the same rut as you are last year and my secondary school was against me resitting there again. Colleges around this time of year are very rapid with replies etc, my college got back to me half an hour after emailing them in a hectic rush and enrolling online.

I have already tried contacting multiple schools but they're all on holiday. Did you email them after enrolment day or before? I'm scared nobody will be in until after the term starts!
Well during the middle of the year I wanted to retake anyway because I wanted to change my subjects as they weren't for me. I was forced to pick maths by parents so I didn't particularly enjoy or do well in that and I also picked art and product design which I'm good at, but the workload was too much for me since they're coursework heavy subjects. When I got my results for year 12 they weren't that great either with my highest being a B in art, and I know I could have done a lot better.

I'd suggest then doing A-Levels that you enjoy, your parents shouldn't have forced you into doing Maths, as a big factor in A-Levels is enjoyment. if you don't enjoy your subjects at A-Level then that can impact heavily on your grade. Well done for the B in Art, it's a very difficult subject to achieve highly in, only know 2 people who did it at my school and they got B's at the end of A2. What other subjects would you take if you redo Y12?
Reply 6
I have already tried contacting multiple schools but they're all on holiday. Did you email them after enrolment day or before? I'm scared nobody will be in until after the term starts!

I searched around etc. the same day I got my AS results last year and contacted colleges-the one I go to now spoke to me on the phone and I enrolled on GCSE results day. But I know plenty of classmates who enrolled later than me. If you can enrol on their website I'd suggest doing that ASAP!
Reply 7
Original post by AJ_3003
I'd suggest then doing A-Levels that you enjoy, your parents shouldn't have forced you into doing Maths, as a big factor in A-Levels is enjoyment. if you don't enjoy your subjects at A-Level then that can impact heavily on your grade. Well done for the B in Art, it's a very difficult subject to achieve highly in, only know 2 people who did it at my school and they got B's at the end of A2. What other subjects would you take if you redo Y12?

After doing some research, I decided that I want to do Psychology, Economics and continue with Art. I want to do Psychology in university because businesses tend to employ graduates with a psychology degree as they have the ability to analyse consumer behaviour. My end goal is actually to start my own business in fashion, which is why I want to work in the business industry to gain some knowledge.
Reply 8
Original post by azh1207
I searched around etc. the same day I got my AS results last year and contacted colleges-the one I go to now spoke to me on the phone and I enrolled on GCSE results day. But I know plenty of classmates who enrolled later than me. If you can enrol on their website I'd suggest doing that ASAP!

All the websites I have been on haven't had any options to enroll, only the applications for the year 11s to apply with during the middle of the year. I'll continue searching for sixth forms, but worst case scenario i'll have to contact them when school starts...
After doing some research, I decided that I want to do Psychology, Economics and continue with Art. I want to do Psychology in university because businesses tend to employ graduates with a psychology degree as they have the ability to analyse consumer behaviour. My end goal is actually to start my own business in fashion, which is why I want to work in the business industry to gain some knowledge.

Fair enough, that's a good combination of diverse A-Levels, Psychology and Economics are going to be more vital to you in the future but keep focused on your Art, as you are doing very well at it. It's good that you're thinking about your future and working out a good path and your career prospects.
Reply 10
They will most likely be on top of their game when school starts and could have you enrolled in a day or two. Good luck with everything!!! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by azh1207
They will most likely be on top of their game when school starts and could have you enrolled in a day or two. Good luck with everything!!! :smile:

Thanks for the support! I wish you luck too

Quick Reply

Latest