If you were intolerant to beer, would you still drink it

Watch this thread
Thatlawchick
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Uni's about to start and my food intolerance results just came back. Basically, i can't have beer, starch, (yeasty, starchy, kinda foods). Now I don't even know what I can have. My diet includes plenty of pasta and beer. Is my social life going to suffer too?
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Thatlawchick)
Uni's about to start and my food intolerance results just came back. Basically, i can't have beer, starch, (yeasty, starchy, kinda foods). Now I don't even know what I can have. My diet includes plenty of pasta and beer. Is my social life going to suffer too?
Not at all, you don't need alcohol to have a good social life.

You probably shouldn't have it if you are intolerant to it though.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
i wouldnt risk it damaging your health,people manage uni with different dietary requirements and if it's just starch things you may be able to drink other alcohol.
esralled
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
There's no health benefits to alcohol and a lot of drawbacks, so yeah I'd probably still drink it.
MongoDB
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
From this post I'm assuming your intolerance isn't towards the alcohol itself. So...

Drink cider? Or spirits? Wine? Obviously? There's more to alcoholic beverages than beer.
R3negade
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I am in the same situation that I have had issues with starches and carbs for a long time now and I love alcohol. Looking in to it and certain alcoholic drinks seem to be more tolerable such as gin, vodka, whisky and dry red or white wine. Obviously experiment at your own risk given your situation.
Ol94
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
haha tht was basically my diet at uni pasta and beer
mrmeggs
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I wouldn't. I don't drink alcohol myself but i know for definite that i wouldn't want the sickness associated with intolerance. It's not worth drinking it if it makes you feel bad.You'll be financially better off and feel better by stopping.
crazychameleon
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
As a sufferer of Asian Flush, I am intolerant to alcohol and drinking 4 drinks within an hour leaves me violently sick as well as increasing my long term risks of oesophegal cancer. However I still drink simply because of its social factor, but only in very small amounts.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I know a very thin girl 40-45 kg like who is allergic to alcohol as she calls it, she breaks out, says she feels swollen and like she's choking after like one sip.

Still drinks hard shots no chasers and dances like no tomorrow, poor girl chucks her insides out. Failed rehab afterwards. Talk to her now, she's doing better, drinks less, but still drinks...

Anyway as for me, I mean..it would literally drive me mad for a while I think. I proper love certain beers and ales with a good hearty dinner.
londonmyst
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
There's still plenty that you can have without setting off your food intolerance.
I don't like the taste of beer, I've only drunk it twice and never want to taste beer again.
The last time it cost me £13.40 for a single pint.

I'm more into hard drinks with a higher alcohol volume.
Brandy, cognac, rum, whiskey.
doks
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
if you really wanted to drink beer, you could drink non-yeast beers such as desperados but if that's a risk as well just don't drink. it isn't worth it.
hollyoliviax
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Im intolerant and I drink still but it’s not that bad. If I drink a lot I’ll have really bad stomach pains the next day but usually I’m ok
Jono*
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I don't drink beer because I don't like the taste, some people find that odd but idk. there's lots of other alcohols out there, coke and whiskey (vodka if I'm feeling cheap) is one of my favorites, shots are great too. so why would your social life suffer in any way?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
20.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
10.71%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
7.14%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (19)
16.96%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (27)
24.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
20.54%

Watched Threads