The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2019! Watch

J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by TCapplicant92)
I understand your point of view, but managing expectations isn't ''mental''. For e.g. I knew someone who had 2.2 in a non-law degree and a pass at GDL without much legal experience, but found that Magic Circle were the right fit for them, yet three cycles later and they still weren't getting passed the application form stage despite their really good answers - in those situations it makes sense to pragmatically look at the facts and assess the merits of the firm with your own and take it from there. But I agree, it's all about choosing the right firm you want to work for and the firm you holistically fit in with.
That’s not about calibre though. That’s not meeting their minimum criteria. The same person would have issues with firms of various levels of “calibre”.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ZKRU3ZK
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Current firms that are open:
- Clifford Chance
- Linklaters (Winter VS)
- Ashurst (Winter VS)

Anyone know any others?
TCapplicant92
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ZKRU3ZK)
Current firms that are open:
- Clifford Chance
- Linklaters (Winter VS)
- Ashurst (Winter VS)

Anyone know any others?
- Kennedys (Winter VS)
- HSF (UAE & Hong Kong TC)
- Jones Day (Winter & Summer VS)
readingmonkey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ManchesterApp)
Hey Guys,

Since winter vacation schemes are upon us I thought I'd make this thread so we can discuss and help each other out. Surprised this wasn't made yet, last year's thread kicked off a month earlier than now, well we're just as eager this year! Please feel free to share your thoughts on here.

I'm starting to prepare for my winter applications for Kennedys, HSF, & Linklaters too.

I feel more confident & organised from the experiences I gained last cycle and I was told about the '' GetinLaw.com '' site towards the end of the last cycle which really really helped so I'm using them now from the start. I also think Lex100 is a lifesaver. Anyone else want to share alternative platforms?

Thanks and good luck to all!
I'm with you re Kennedys
I've just spent 2 days gathering intel on how they are different from their competitors - that's the only application question giving me headaches. Wanna swap notes and intel ?
whoareyou123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Best of luck everyone!
ManchesterApp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by readingmonkey)
I'm with you re Kennedys
I've just spent 2 days gathering intel on how they are different from their competitors - that's the only application question giving me headaches. Wanna swap notes and intel ?
Hey I'll PM you, I've done my own research and I also have been working with a trainee from getinlaw.com (as part of my package) so they've guided me on how to nail the answer. I also recommend using lex100 and/or truepicture if you aren't using it already.
blueflame8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey I'll PM you, I've done my own research and I also have been working with a trainee from getinlaw.com (as part of my package) so they've guided me on how to nail the answer. I also recommend using lex100 and/or truepicture if you aren't using it already.
I assume you work at this getinlaw site? You've advertised the company in every post along with TCinTraining and you both signed up at the same time!
ManchesterApp
Rep:
?
(Original post by blueflame8)
I assume you work at this getinlaw site? You've advertised the company in every post along with TCinTraining and you both signed up at the same time!
Maybe one day if I get the TC! but for now I'm trying to get a discount for referrals, thanks for asking
laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Maybe one day if I get the TC! but for now I'm trying to get a discount for referrals, thanks for asking
It's very obvious you're promoting it because there's something in it for you, rather than because you just genuinely think it's a good website. Comes across as quite disingenuous. Considering you haven't secured a TC yet (and everything crossed that you do!) - how do you know it works?

Do you even have a sense of what proportion of their "clients" are successful in getting a TC? Or know what sort of people are behind the site and what their qualifications and experience are?

Think companies like this who try and take advantage of people are pretty low, to be honest.
ManchesterApp
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurenlodge)
It's very obvious you're promoting it because there's something in it for you, rather than because you just genuinely think it's a good website. Comes across as quite disingenuous. Considering you haven't secured a TC yet (and everything crossed that you do!) - how do you know it works?

Do you even have a sense of what proportion of their "clients" are successful in getting a TC? Or know what sort of people are behind the site and what their qualifications and experience are?

Think companies like this who try and take advantage of people are pretty low, to be honest.
Well if I didn't think they helped me then I wouldn't want the referral discount? So I do think they help and wanted others to potentially benefit. So let's not start throwing phrases like 'come across disingenuous' around. I know through the experiences I have had but clearly going to keep them to myself from now on haha !

Let's switch topics to; who else is applying to Kennedys...
readingmonkey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Is it still true that Kennedy’s does not pay for the LPC?
ZKRU3ZK
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hogan Lovells VS opens 17/09
blueflame8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The website charges up to £419.99 for application reviews! I'm not sure that's something you should encourage
lawdreams
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Jones day is open.
But require a whole cover letter in 300 words!!!!!!!!
Yes that’s right 300 words!!!!!!!
How can you be that concise???
thepaperhero
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The website charges up to £419.99 for application reviews! I'm not sure that's something you should encourage
If I paid that much I'd expect a TC handed to me on a silver plate. :laugh:
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by lawdreams)
Jones day is open.
But require a whole cover letter in 300 words!!!!!!!!
Yes that’s right 300 words!!!!!!!
How can you be that concise???
Because you want to be a lawyer and will need to learn to be that concise.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
WTAF?

£420 to review an application?? There are plenty of free recourses out there that I would expect would do just as good a job.

The problem with these paid for sites is that they tend to chuck out generic answers. They are becoming more obvious to see in applications submitted.

Ultimately people who rely on a such a service are going to really struggle as lawyers. They either haven’t got the drafting skills required or are so precious about their time that they are likely to struggle in a law firm environment.
ManchesterApp
Rep:
?
Why are you so hung up on this. In the post you actually referred to, I merely mentioned the getinlaw.com site as a reference to give credibility to my Kennedys advice and to show where I got the Kennedys trainee contact from. I was also showing I would share some of the advice I paid for, for free, with another TSR member (which I did).

I did not encourage any paid service, the website also offers free services which I have also used and I recommended True Picture which is also free so stop trying to manipulate what I have said. 419? Well with the referral I gave I managed to get that package for 380 and that's application review for the entire year with detailed assessment centre insights, mock interviews and other prep. But let's end the conversation about this getinlaw.com site here. Each to their own. Good luck to you and your apps

(Original post by thepaperhero)
If I paid that much I'd expect a TC handed to me on a silver plate. :laugh:
haha loads of free services are good, legal500, lex100, truepicture, legalcheek, getinlaw.com (free part).
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
haha loads of free services are good, legal500, lex100, truepicture, legalcheek, getinlaw.com (free part).
It is interesting to know who gets paid for the advice. If it is the trainees they suggest are connected to the organisation, they will probably find they are breaching their employment contract.

Which is why there are probably no names on the site and therefore slightly suspicious as to how reliable it actually is.
ManchesterApp
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
It is interesting to know who gets paid for the advice. If it is the trainees they suggest are connected to the organisation, they will probably find they are breaching their employment contract.

Which is why there are probably no names on the site and therefore slightly suspicious as to how reliable it actually is.
That is interesting. On a side note, I've passed some interviews and quoted trainee names and my experiences and contact with them and whether it was HR or Sr Associates they were impressed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads