The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2019! Watch

J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ManchesterApp)
That is interesting. On a side note, I've passed some interviews and quoted trainee names and my experiences and contact with them and whether it was HR or Sr Associates they were impressed.
That’s slightly different though - the same people wouldn’t be impressed if they heard the Trainee was getting paid for that interaction or that you had paid for it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ManchesterApp
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by J-SP)
That’s slightly different though - the same people wouldn’t be impressed if they heard the Trainee was getting paid for that interaction or that you had paid for it.
was just happy got the vac scheme haha! (return on my investment right haha) but on a serious note guess I didn't question that cause I don't know if it is the trainees that get paid or what their internal arrangements are. Anyways who are you applying to?
Perseverance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
was just happy got the vac scheme haha! (return on my investment right haha) but on a serious note guess I didn't question that cause I don't know if it is the trainees that get paid or what their internal arrangements are. Anyways who are you applying to?
I don't think J-SP will be applying to any firms this year.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I am an ex recruiter. Never have applied, never will.

Will just be the person viewing the application forms that have been written by someone else.

I don’t think it was a ROI. You’d have probably got there yourself without paying such an extortionate amount of money.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by UKTC99)
Oh certainly wrote all of my applications myself I just wanted an extra pair of eyes to proofread and wanted a proper job done and quickly as well. But this is getting way too detailed and going off on a tangent. Let’s go back to strictly discussing firms and directly related matters. Thanks guys
Well no - let’s not.

You have promoted a service on here, in a forum where people are generally worried about their chances and are trying to get any form of advantage in a competitive market. It is right for anyone to challenge not only whether such a service is morally ok but also to whether they can actually provide a decent job.

Obviously anyone is welcome to pay for such a service and that’s their choice. But it’s ultimately a poorly thought through one. There are better options out there that are free and there is no guarantee that the person who did proof read your application did a proper job.

I’d only trust a website like that which clearly identifies who you are working with. They haven’t even explained who their limited company is (at least you could find out who that was registered to) and so it is a sketchy as hell.
lawgirlxoxo
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I promise you I am not a promoter for the website, neither do I work for them.

But if anyone would like someone competent to review their application, I’d recommend ‘The Corporate Law Academy’. The website is an absolute gem.It’s totally free, plus there are other useful guides/advice on there.

Imo, I wouldn’t pay for something I can get free, unless it is very very exceptional.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by lawgirlxoxo)
I promise you I am not a promoter for the website, neither do I work for them.

But if anyone would like someone competent to review their application, I’d recommend ‘The Corporate Law Academy’. The website is an absolute gem.It’s totally free, plus there are other useful guides/advice on there.

Imo, I wouldn’t pay for something I can get free, unless it is very very exceptional.
Plus the people on there are identified.
TCapplicant92
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I’ve just read these posts and I have no affiliation to them nor to anyone here. However, I secured a Training Contract and I used the free services of that getinlaw site and the services they provided seemed genuine. I even paid 40£ for an app review which was also good and seemed thorough, I don’t know where this 420£ come from. I felt like I should comment as someone who has benefited, that’s all.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by TCapplicant92)
I’ve just read these posts and I have no affiliation to them nor to anyone here. However, I secured a Training Contract and I used the free services of that getinlaw site and the services they provided seemed genuine. I even paid 40£ for an app review which was also good and seemed thorough, I don’t know where this 420£ come from. I felt like I should comment as someone who has benefited, that’s all.
Did you find out who reviewed your form?
TCapplicant92
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Did you find out who reviewed your form?
Well during my experience, I was put in direct contact with someone who had secured a TC, they called me and helped me with general and tailored prep for assessment centres (and worked on my weaknesses etc.).
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Well during my experience, I was put in direct contact with someone who had secured a TC, they called me and helped me with general and tailored prep for assessment centres (and worked on my weaknesses etc.).
So they identified themselves? Were they a trainee or a future trainee?
TCapplicant92
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by J-SP)
So they identified themselves? Were they a trainee or a future trainee?
They did indeed, future trainee. Kept in contact with them. So it was good in terms of networking as well.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
They did indeed, future trainee. Kept in contact with them. So it was good in terms of networking as well.
You paid £40 for a future trainee to review your application form?

😂

Seriously, just because they were successful in their application, doesn’t mean they could be successful with someone else’s.

But guess some people have more money than sense.

If their firm found out they could probably be in a bit of trouble. Guess that’s why no one is out in public as being part of this organisation.
TCapplicant92
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by J-SP)
You paid £40 for a future trainee to review your application form?

😂

Seriously, just because they were successful in their application, doesn’t mean they could be successful with someone else’s.

But guess some people have more money than sense.

If their firm found out they could probably be in a bit of trouble. Guess that’s why no one is out in public as being part of this organisation.
More money than sense? Who are you to judge. It got me the TC right so keep your unwanted remarks to yourself, you rude person. In fact, you don’t even need to know what I paid for since you’re not even an applicant nor have any motive to apply as you said above. App review was one of things I got, there were mock interviews and face to face seminars too from qualified solicitors. At first I thought I’d share my positive experience with you since you seemed interested, now I realise you just wanted to pass commentary and make ignorant remarks. I will not be responding again.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
More money than sense? Who are you to judge. It got me the TC right so keep your unwanted remarks to yourself, you rude person. In fact, you don’t even need to know what I paid for since you’re not even an applicant nor have any motive to apply as you said above. App review was one of things I got, there were mock interviews and face to face seminars too from qualified solicitors. At first I thought I’d share my positive experience with you since you seemed interested, now I realise you just wanted to pass commentary and make ignorant remarks. I will not be responding again.
It didn’t get you a TC. You got yourself a TC.

So you paid for mock interviews and seminars from qualified Solicitors? I wonder if they have declared their other employment to their firms. I suspect not.

I would take a site like this seriously if you could identify the people who are involved with it. But the fact it is all super anonymous is pretty dodgy.
blueflame8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Why are you so hung up on this. In the post you actually referred to, I merely mentioned the getinlaw.com site as a reference to give credibility to my Kennedys advice and to show where I got the Kennedys trainee contact from. I was also showing I would share some of the advice I paid for, for free, with another TSR member (which I did).

I did not encourage any paid service, the website also offers free services which I have also used and I recommended True Picture which is also free so stop trying to manipulate what I have said. 419? Well with the referral I gave I managed to get that package for 380 and that's application review for the entire year with detailed assessment centre insights, mock interviews and other prep. But let's end the conversation about this getinlaw.com site here. Each to their own. Good luck to you and your apps

haha loads of free services are good, legal500, lex100, truepicture, legalcheek, getinlaw.com (free part).
Did you actually pay £380?
lawdreams
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
No doubt this question had been asked. But can’t find a sound answer. Is there any way to get good at the online tests?? Is it just a matter of practising?

Seems like a fair few firms will only read applications if you pass the test. Understand/appreciate they need a filter but it’s a shame given hard work and effort on apps.

But any advice/methods to pass the test?
Thanks
ManchesterApp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by lawdreams)
No doubt this question had been asked. But can’t find a sound answer. Is there any way to get good at the online tests?? Is it just a matter of practising?

Seems like a fair few firms will only read applications if you pass the test. Understand/appreciate they need a filter but it’s a shame given hard work and effort on apps.

But any advice/methods to pass the test?
Thanks
Try and practice online using different resources: SHL, Pearson, Swift, are all free online tests that will hopefully develop your skills. In terms tips, just remember for verbal reasoning, for true: it means the statement is mentioned in the passage or is logically inferred (virtual certainty), false: goes directly against the passage or logically through inference goes against the passage (virtual certainty) and for cannot tell: you cannot for certain - directly or otherwise - say whether the statement goes against or agrees with the passage.
Helloiamyellow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Just applied to PwC's vacation scheme. Failed the video SJT the second I completed it - didn't even know that was possible as I have never failed a SJT! Do they usually give out a detailed report of your personality after?
kendr lawson
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi @JSP, I have read the past threads for Vacation Schemes and really know you're stuff! I wanted to ask some specific questions:

1. I have recently completed a vacation scheme last cycle, but did not convert. However, regarding my new applications, do you think it is necessary to change my cover letter to emphasise I've done a scheme?

I have worked at an African commercial law firm and gained transferable skills from an finance work experience. I genuinely found more motivation from these experiences rather than the purely the vacation scheme. However, I would appreciate your opinion on this.

2. I am in the process of applying for law firms that I have not visited but I'm considering attending open days/ presentations before applying. However, I understand applying as soon as possible is important. Do you think meeting the firms, but a later application as a consequence, useful leverage with regards to improving application prospects?

Thanks

P.S. I am intending to apply to Jones Day, Shearman & Sterling and Simmons & Simmons so far.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed