The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2019! Watch

J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Urghhh - why is this app so unreliable when you need to edit a post...

1) yes, put it in an application. Generally some work experience is better than no work experience. It’s only if the firm is very different in terms of Size/practice areas then maybe avoid it. But it shouldn’t be in your cover letter - that detail should be in your CV

2) Applying as soon as possible is a myth. You should only apply when you are ready and applying too early is a mistake too many applicants make. You just need to avoid applying near the deadline, and even then that’s only relevant to firms who recruit on a rolling basis.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
readingmonkey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey guys - I have a question about one of the questions they ask during application forms:
"Please give a brief summary of any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements"
Do you answer it in bullet points? Or just one sentence per 'achievement"? Or prose?

Some firms have longer space (i.e. 300 words) so that's where I've written a few sentences per achievement. But what about the ones that give you 150 words or even worse just 100?
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by readingmonkey)
Hey guys - I have a question about one of the questions they ask during application forms:
"Please give a brief summary of any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements"
Do you answer it in bullet points? Or just one sentence per 'achievement"? Or prose?

Some firms have longer space (i.e. 300 words) so that's where I've written a few sentences per achievement. But what about the ones that give you 150 words or even worse just 100?
It really won’t matter either way
lawdreams
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Are there any firms which will actually read applications and not use a filter or automatic test cut off??
lawdreams
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
And what are the views on replying to firms where you’ve previously applied a couple of times already??
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by lawdreams)
And what are the views on replying to firms where you’ve previously applied a couple of times already??
Reapplying?

Only if there is a considerable development in your application/CV since your last application and the individual firm’s policy allows you to reapplt
lawdreams
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Does anyone know if bclp automatically filters out applications using the verbal reasoning test??
ManchesterApp
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Does anyone know if bclp automatically filters out applications using the verbal reasoning test??
They do not have a 'set' cut-off point for the verbal reasoning score, they combine the verbal reasoning with the application form and then make a decision based on both (I made it to final partner interview - last cycle).
lawdreams
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ManchesterApp)
They do not have a 'set' cut-off point for the verbal reasoning score, they combine the verbal reasoning with the application form and then make a decision based on both (I made it to final partner interview - last cycle).
Thanks. Will you apply again? I didn’t apply last cycle but noticed they’ve significantly changed their application.
lawstudent19971
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Has anyone heard back from any law firm?
ManchesterApp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Thanks. Will you apply again? I didn’t apply last cycle but noticed they’ve significantly changed their application.
I will be indeed, even though I made it to partner interview last cycle, I was unable to attend (severe flu) - and they couldn't rearrange it - so that was unlucky to be honest. PM me for more details though.
lawdreams
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Is there any way to tell how strict a firm will be on grade requirements? In particular A level. And especially if you’ve got a lot of further academics; going, lpc and work exp.
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Is there any way to tell how strict a firm will be on grade requirements? In particular A level. And especially if you’ve got a lot of further academics; going, lpc and work exp.
Contact the firms and find out. Always better to get that kind of advice directly from the firm
lawdreams
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Is anyone applying to DLA piper??
They don’t seem to have a TC you can apply for in London. BUT, the VS is running in London.
Does that just mean all London TCs offered to VS-er and you’re indirectly being directed towards a London VS.
readingmonkey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Is anyone applying to DLA piper??
They don’t seem to have a TC you can apply for in London. BUT, the VS is running in London.
Does that just mean all London TCs offered to VS-er and you’re indirectly being directed towards a London VS.
I think they don't accept direct TC apps for Lonndon.
I'm applying to DLA - wanna partner up?
AelaNox
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Ooooh didn't realise the new thread was up!

I was unsuccessful last cycle, time to try again

I have a much better idea of the type of firms I want to apply to this time around.

I'm also going to apply mainly to summer vac schemes and perhaps consider a few direct apps. I recently started a new job so I won't be able to have the time off to do winter vac schemes. At this point I'm mostly trying to pull some research together for firms I'm interested in and finding time to do apps outside of work! I'm also thinking about how I'm going to attend open days and keep time aside if I do secure a VS this year..

On the whole, I think my applications will be significantly stronger this year as I've done a few things since the last time I applied.

Any tips on how to get apps done and attend events around a full time job would be much appreciated.

Good luck everyone!
lawdreams
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by AelaNox)
Ooooh didn't realise the new thread was up!

I was unsuccessful last cycle, time to try again

I have a much better idea of the type of firms I want to apply to this time around.

I'm also going to apply mainly to summer vac schemes and perhaps consider a few direct apps. I recently started a new job so I won't be able to have the time off to do winter vac schemes. At this point I'm mostly trying to pull some research together for firms I'm interested in and finding time to do apps outside of work! I'm also thinking about how I'm going to attend open days and keep time aside if I do secure a VS this year..

On the whole, I think my applications will be significantly stronger this year as I've done a few things since the last time I applied.

Any tips on how to get apps done and attend events around a full time job would be much appreciated.

Good luck everyone!
Just some personal views/comments....

Not sure what your job is, but, you’ll need to be organised and disciplined to complete apps.
Normally I’d say quality and quantity are not mutually exclusive. But perhaps concentrate on a fewer number of firms/apps and make sure they of very very high quality.
In terms of events/open days, focus on firms which do open evenings as opposed to open days. Not sure where your job is based but if in London/the city that’s a positive. I think NRF were one which did open evenings last year. If you notice firms are holding open evenings targeting particular unis or groups, email, explain your situation and ask if you can still attend. Some firms will be accommodating. Others not so much. And if that’s the case, would you really want to work for that sort of firm.
Re time off for a VS, I’d suggest taking it step by step. Cross that bridge when you get there. First step is getting through assessment which is a big hurdle in itself. There are options, different scheme dates, annual leave, worst case scenario unpaid leave or having an open discussion with the prospective firm.
Re applications. Try and focus on firms which relate to your job. That way it will be an even bigger advantage than hindrance.
Accepted wisdom is that copy and pasting will not get you anywhere. Which is true. However, have a strong bank of core answers drafted well, which many firms will ask. Why Law. Etc. That will help cut down time.

I do sympathise. Good luck in deed.
AelaNox
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Just some personal views/comments....

Not sure what your job is, but, you’ll need to be organised and disciplined to complete apps.
Normally I’d say quality and quantity are not mutually exclusive. But perhaps concentrate on a fewer number of firms/apps and make sure they of very very high quality.
In terms of events/open days, focus on firms which do open evenings as opposed to open days. Not sure where your job is based but if in London/the city that’s a positive. I think NRF were one which did open evenings last year. If you notice firms are holding open evenings targeting particular unis or groups, email, explain your situation and ask if you can still attend. Some firms will be accommodating. Others not so much. And if that’s the case, would you really want to work for that sort of firm.
Re time off for a VS, I’d suggest taking it step by step. Cross that bridge when you get there. First step is getting through assessment which is a big hurdle in itself. There are options, different scheme dates, annual leave, worst case scenario unpaid leave or having an open discussion with the prospective firm.
Re applications. Try and focus on firms which relate to your job. That way it will be an even bigger advantage than hindrance.
Accepted wisdom is that copy and pasting will not get you anywhere. Which is true. However, have a strong bank of core answers drafted well, which many firms will ask. Why Law. Etc. That will help cut down time.

I do sympathise. Good luck in deed.
First of all, thank you so much for your advice, it's extremely helpful.

My job is based in Manchester and I want to work in firms in Manchester so on that front I think I'm okay. Most of the firms I want to work for are within reasonable walking distance from my current office. I know some firms I'm applying to are holding open evenings so I can go to those after work. I'll see if I can attend open evenings targeted at the uni I attended as suggested. I'm also thinking of attending the law fair and may try to get a place on National law live again (I think it's called lawcareers.net live now?) both were extremely helpful last year and I can take days off for those.

I work in conveyancing so I'll be thinking about how I can relate that in my applications.

thank you once more!
lawdreams
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by AelaNox)
First of all, thank you so much for your advice, it's extremely helpful.

My job is based in Manchester and I want to work in firms in Manchester so on that front I think I'm okay. Most of the firms I want to work for are within reasonable walking distance from my current office. I know some firms I'm applying to are holding open evenings so I can go to those after work. I'll see if I can attend open evenings targeted at the uni I attended as suggested. I'm also thinking of attending the law fair and may try to get a place on National law live again (I think it's called lawcareers.net live now?) both were extremely helpful last year and I can take days off for those.

I work in conveyancing so I'll be thinking about how I can relate that in my applications.

thank you once more!
Yes law fairs are a good idea where you can meet multiple firms at once.

Have good answers lined up for... why you can’t train at your current firm. If you applied, what happened. If you didn’t, why not. how they differentiate from the firms you interviewing at. I’ve been asked these.
If Real Estate/conveyancing is going to be your focus, then why not cilex which a lot of conveyancers do - q to test your motivation for law/Tc/them
AelaNox
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yes law fairs are a good idea where you can meet multiple firms at once.

Have good answers lined up for... why you can’t train at your current firm. If you applied, what happened. If you didn’t, why not. how they differentiate from the firms you interviewing at. I’ve been asked these.
If Real Estate/conveyancing is going to be your focus, then why not cilex which a lot of conveyancers do - q to test your motivation for law/Tc/them
I don't work at a law firm, I'm in the legal team of a property services firm. They do have their own training programme though and I think it's cilex they offer but I'm not too sure. They recruit mostly internally so they basically promote people with my job role and train them.

But yeah I can see where you're coming from.. law firms might ask why them when I could just do cilex which is a good point. I got a lot to think about haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads