The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2019! Watch

orangegoat
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Non-law students have much chance in securing a VS if you're not from Oxbridge?
lawt
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by orangegoat)
Non-law students have much chance in securing a VS if you're not from Oxbridge?
As a non-law non-Oxbridge future trainee with two vacation schemes under my belt, I can attest to having had just as much chance as any other candidate. Make sure you meet firms' minimum academic criteria, have relevant work experience and good extra-curriculars, network effectively and spend time on making your applications stand out and you should not be at a disadvantage for the vast majority of firms.
Oddwatermelon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Does anyone know whether the Kennedys winter vacation scheme is open to second years? If a requirement is to have completed the LPC by 2020 this can't be so as first years graduate in 2020? Thanks.
lawdreams
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
When firms have a question have you applied before does it matter if you say yes or no?? What impact if any does it have??
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
lawt
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by lawdreams)
When firms have a question have you applied before does it matter if you say yes or no?? What impact if any does it have??
If you have applied before they will likely look to see if you have made changes to your application which might warrant it being taken further this time (e.g. more work experience, better cover letter, etc). Answer honestly - as should be the case for the whole form!
srhhkh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by lawstudent19971)
Has anyone heard back from any law firm?
Yes - invitation for Kennedys video interview!
kosh_ki
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Does anyone which are the firms that are quite strict on grades e.g. only a high 2.1 or first will do? Heard about Slaughter & May, Sullivan & Cromwell being quite tight on this but any others?
amvns
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm going into my 2nd year at uni studying history but would like to convert to law. I've heard by the time I graduate I won't be doing the GDL, it'll be replaced with the SQE- could someone tell me if we finance this ourselves just like the GDL?

I'm also thinking of applying to vacation schemes- can someone please explain in detail about this, ESPECIALLY THE PROCESS eg I apply and what happens next, the process of interviews and what will I be tested on? - I cannot find anything that helps me gather information about the process of applying to these schemes.

Must I apply for vacation schemes in my 2nd year? or will I be fine doing them in my third year?, also will I be at a disadvantage as I am a non-law student.

Sorry if I sound silly, I'm super new to all this law conversion stuff and in a desperate need of aid understanding it all. Please reply someone lol.
lawt
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by amvns)
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm going into my 2nd year at uni studying history but would like to convert to law. I've heard by the time I graduate I won't be doing the GDL, it'll be replaced with the SQE- could someone tell me if we finance this ourselves just like the GDL?

I'm also thinking of applying to vacation schemes- can someone please explain in detail about this, ESPECIALLY THE PROCESS eg I apply and what happens next, the process of interviews and what will I be tested on? - I cannot find anything that helps me gather information about the process of applying to these schemes.

Must I apply for vacation schemes in my 2nd year? or will I be fine doing them in my third year?, also will I be at a disadvantage as I am a non-law student.

Sorry if I sound silly, I'm super new to all this law conversion stuff and in a desperate need of aid understanding it all. Please reply someone lol.
DISCLAIMER: the following is based on my own experience and those who I have met in the process; it is not exhaustive and there are plenty more knowledgeable people on here who you should listen to.

I am fortunate(?) not to have to do the SQE so do not know a great deal about it. This link might help though: https://www.sra.org.uk/sra/policy/tr...s-answers.page

Non-law students tend to apply for vac schemes and training contracts in their final year. I think most firms require that you are in your final year, in fact. Non-law students are not at a disadvantage (you won't be tested on legal knowledge) and many firms recruit 50/50 law/non-law.

The application process varies depending on the firm. Most start with an online form which includes all of your personal and academic details, as well as work experience. Generally, you will be required to submit either a cover letter or answer some long-form questions to test your motivation, knowledge of the firm and commercial awareness, amongst other things. Candidates are screened for minimum criteria and some are progressed to the next stage. Examples of other stages are online testing (verbal and numerical reasoning, Watson-Glazer, etc.), video interviews (mostly automated with 1-3 minutes to answer each question), assessment centres and face-to-face interviews.

In your position, I would do the following:
(1) Get the best academic results you can (firms ask for modular breakdowns and question poor results)
(2) Research the profession online, as well as the different types of law and firm to figure out which appeal to you
(3) See what your university's careers service has to offer
(4) Attend law fairs and speak to firm representatives (have questions ready, make sure the answers can't be found online...)
(5) Get some relevant work experience (Citizens Advice, high-street law firms) - it's one thing to say that you're interested in law, quite another to show it
(6) Attend firms' campus events and open days where possible

Websites that can help: LawCareers.net, Chambers Student, Lex100, Legal Cheek, RollOnFriday

Hope that helps.
Shanlon97
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey guys, quick q. Hogan Lovells asks a competency question asking you to detail when you worked in a group of people from different backgrounds and also one where you have to give an example of when you were innovative and demonstrated an entrepreneurial flair. I completed a developmental education program at my Uni, where I had to fund raise £2,600 to cover the cost of a construction project, which I then completed in the summer. I was thinking of using my fundraising experience to demonstrate my entrepreneurial mindset, and building a school with a group of volunteers and local builders to evidence my experience of working with people from different backgrounds. I know that the general rule is to use a different experience for each competency, but is it alright to use two separate experiences from one overall program ? I am on my universities varsity basketball team, so I can always use that experience as an example of me working in a team. However, I feel my volunteer experience better showcases my teamwork skills.What should I do ?
amvns
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by lawt)
DISCLAIMER: the following is based on my own experience and those who I have met in the process; it is not exhaustive and there are plenty more knowledgeable people on here who you should listen to.

I am fortunate(?) not to have to do the SQE so do not know a great deal about it. This link might help though: https://www.sra.org.uk/sra/policy/tr...s-answers.page

Non-law students tend to apply for vac schemes and training contracts in their final year. I think most firms require that you are in your final year, in fact. Non-law students are not at a disadvantage (you won't be tested on legal knowledge) and many firms recruit 50/50 law/non-law.

The application process varies depending on the firm. Most start with an online form which includes all of your personal and academic details, as well as work experience. Generally, you will be required to submit either a cover letter or answer some long-form questions to test your motivation, knowledge of the firm and commercial awareness, amongst other things. Candidates are screened for minimum criteria and some are progressed to the next stage. Examples of other stages are online testing (verbal and numerical reasoning, Watson-Glazer, etc.), video interviews (mostly automated with 1-3 minutes to answer each question), assessment centres and face-to-face interviews.

In your position, I would do the following:
(1) Get the best academic results you can (firms ask for modular breakdowns and question poor results)
(2) Research the profession online, as well as the different types of law and firm to figure out which appeal to you
(3) See what your university's careers service has to offer
(4) Attend law fairs and speak to firm representatives (have questions ready, make sure the answers can't be found online...)
(5) Get some relevant work experience (Citizens Advice, high-street law firms) - it's one thing to say that you're interested in law, quite another to show it
(6) Attend firms' campus events and open days where possible

Websites that can help: LawCareers.net, Chambers Student, Lex100, Legal Cheek, RollOnFriday

Hope that helps.
This is all super helpful!!! thank you so much!

I was looking at the Clifford Chance vac scheme and its aimed at students in their penultimate year of study- so I can only apply for it this year and not in my third I guess?

Are firms strict on grades? for my first year, I didn't get the best grade :/ and I am aware most ask for a 2:1
lawt
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by amvns)
This is all super helpful!!! thank you so much!

I was looking at the Clifford Chance vac scheme and its aimed at students in their penultimate year of study- so I can only apply for it this year and not in my third I guess?

Are firms strict on grades? for my first year, I didn't get the best grade :/ and I am aware most ask for a 2:1
R.e. Clifford Chance - it seems so for this recruitment cycle, but things can change year-to-year.

R.e. grades - strict adherence to minimum criteria varies, so it is worth speaking to the recruitment team in advance of applying. Again, your university's careers service will be able to discuss this and give you advice on the best course of action in your circumstances.
lawstudent1998
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi J-SP, I wanted to seek your opinion on application writing styles. I personally tend to disfavour the very formulaic, rigid STAR method of writing (I do try to assimilate this into my app). However, I have been facing quite a few rejections recently so was wondering if this was perhaps a significant cause? Might sound quite naive but I personally think the very matter-of-fact STAR method sounds very dull and perhaps even less impressive. Would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Shanlon97)
Hey guys, quick q. Hogan Lovells asks a competency question asking you to detail when you worked in a group of people from different backgrounds and also one where you have to give an example of when you were innovative and demonstrated an entrepreneurial flair. I completed a developmental education program at my Uni, where I had to fund raise £2,600 to cover the cost of a construction project, which I then completed in the summer. I was thinking of using my fundraising experience to demonstrate my entrepreneurial mindset, and building a school with a group of volunteers and local builders to evidence my experience of working with people from different backgrounds. I know that the general rule is to use a different experience for each competency, but is it alright to use two separate experiences from one overall program ? I am on my universities varsity basketball team, so I can always use that experience as an example of me working in a team. However, I feel my volunteer experience better showcases my teamwork skills.What should I do ?
More than fine to use those examples
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by lawstudent1998)
Hi J-SP, I wanted to seek your opinion on application writing styles. I personally tend to disfavour the very formulaic, rigid STAR method of writing (I do try to assimilate this into my app). However, I have been facing quite a few rejections recently so was wondering if this was perhaps a significant cause? Might sound quite naive but I personally think the very matter-of-fact STAR method sounds very dull and perhaps even less impressive. Would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.
Writing style isn’t just down to structure of content. It’s down to tone, conciseness, persuasiveness etc.

STAR doesn’t really work in applications unless you are asked a competency style question.
Portal678
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi guys, what are people's thoughts on CV length for law (as a VS applicant?) I know Investment Banking has a pretty strict 1-page policy, but is this different for law?
J-SP
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Portal678)
Hi guys, what are people's thoughts on CV length for law (as a VS applicant?) I know Investment Banking has a pretty strict 1-page policy, but is this different for law?
Up to 2 is fine as long as it is concise. Don’t bulk it out to two pages.
lawdreams
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Portal678)
I don’t think there is a strict one page or two page policy for law firms. But definitely two pages max, not more. Some firms ask for a break down of grades on a CV which lengths the CV, but make sure it still fits two pages.
Depending on the stage you’re at, you may or may not have enough to fill two pages. Consider if two pages is really necessary and if you can be concise to one page. Vice versa. Don’t try to squash a lot onto one page in tiny font with invisible margins.
Just make sure it’s well laid out and details your skills, experience, activities.
lawdreams
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Does anyone have any insight on HSF? Particularly on whether they read applications or filter out on the basis of tests. How heavily is the test used as a consideration? The application is quite detailed and I’m trying to prioritise different applications.
xxblue
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by lawdreams)
Does anyone have any insight on HSF? Particularly on whether they read applications or filter out on the basis of tests. How heavily is the test used as a consideration? The application is quite detailed and I’m trying to prioritise different applications.
They read your application once you have passed the VRT.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed