What is family?

Watch
Heteroasexual
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I know this sounds stupid but I'm not sure what makes someone family.

From what I know, family is based on genes, culture and society.

We're all related but I'm not "allowed" to call you or any other the other animals/living beings my family because society and possibly culture says that your family is those who share common DNA with.

I don't think that everyone you are commonly related to is family as you don't have a relationship with ALL your relatives.

I don't class my one cousin's children nor most of my "family" who are on my parents' side as my family as I barely see them, they're strangers to me. No relationship=No family.

My mother thinks I should as "Family is family" but I'm not allowed to regard my the same cousin's mother who I've never met as my aunt. I don't get it.

I do regard my best friend as family, she's like the older sister I wish I had.

I've seen on The Flash that they all regard each other as family so I guess it can depend on the person?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it's an individual thing, to me my blood relatives, husband and my closest friends are family.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's when you have all your sisters with you. When everyone can see you're together as you walk on by.

It's when you're birds of a feather and have high hopes for the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.53%
I'm not sure (55)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (348)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (580)
48.7%

Watched Threads