The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Short review of UoH

I finished Ba finance this year at the university of Hertfordshire so I thought I'd list some things for prospective candidates:

Cons:
1. UoH is ranked quite low, not a major problem but you won't find the likes of Goldman Sachs ever recruiting here like they would at Oxford etc. Also, deprives you of some of the finance/IB/professional services support schemes available at London universities....but I ended up at a bank too so all is not lost!

2. Unobus is terrible, can't list the amount of days and nights spent in the freezing cold. It's especially worse if you are coming on a long route like Cockfosters. But the free inter-campus shuttle is useful.

3. Canteen food can be a bit pricey, not many places to eat on uni except at sandwich bars. Not a lot of choice outside of uni, ended up going to St Albans to get a decent meal.

4. Hatfield town is dead, Galleria sucks too. But lots of greenery if you're interested in that kind of stuff.

Pros:
1. LOADS and I mean loads of student support services available. I think there are 10000+ students here so professional advice is readily available and you will never be left in the dark.

2. Graduate employment rate is 96%+, CareerHub folks are so helpful, being close to St. Albans means there is loads of work available for part-timers. Employability champions are extremely helpful as well. Also, no fees for a placement year.

3. Library and LRCs are exceptional. A lot of student don't realise the plethora of access you get to online resources, Lynda.com, software, magazines, books, Open Athens/Shibboleth, Hertfordshire libraries etc with a student ID. You are spending 3-4 years and 27k for uni, may as well learn as much as you can whilst you're here.

4. Teaching is not too bad either. I've compared Studynet to my brother's university and it's much better. Plus, you can access previous year courses/exams (and any other course) to get a gist of what you will be learning and prepare in advance. Module guides are extensive, past papers available from library, can't go wrong on Studynet.

The finance course itself was great, but it delved too much into subjects like management theory and we were not sufficiently prepared for the economics modules. Statistics was quite interesting and employability as a module was very useful too.

Anyway, I have my sights set on computer science, I heard there was an online version similar to the full time one. If anyone is doing or has done computer science, please leave your thoughts or get in touch.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending