The Student Room Group

Will my GCSE grades disadvantage me?

How important are GCSEs when applying to a prestigious uni? Unfortunately received some rather disappointing grades on Thurs...
I have 13 GCSEs/IGCSEs: an A*, a 9, an 8, four As, four Bs, a 5 in Maths, and an E in Latin (which I’m getting remarked).
Would these grades disadvantage my chances of getting into a really good uni like Oxford or Cambridge? Even if I buck up and do really well in my A-levels? They probably expect a long list of A*s 😒
Reply 2
Won’t disadvantage you from Cambridge in the slightest . Oxford maybe. But overall, with oxbridge, your admissions test and predicted grades and (then if invited) interview performance is more important, in comparison to great gcse results.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Additionally, here's what Cambridge say about GCSEs on their website:

"There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved.
Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE (7 is considered equivalent to an A in the new grading structure; and 8 and 9 is considered equivalent to an A*). However, there are always exceptions and we don’t require a minimum number of As/A*s at GCSE. One of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.
Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were attained, and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE."
This is something I seem to see a lot of on this website. Things need to be taken into proportion. Even at universities like Oxford and Cambridge (assuming you aren't taking something like Medicine), GCSEs are a very small aspect of what the admissions tutors will look at. Personal statement and A level predicted grades are always the first, and the most weight-bearing, aspects they look at.
You have really good GCSE results, effectively having 3 A*s, 4As and 4Bs as your top grades. You really shouldn't worry. Buckle down at A level, get the grades and write a fabulous personal statement and you'll do just fine :smile:
Original post by Unstudioustudent
How important are GCSEs when applying to a prestigious uni? Unfortunately received some rather disappointing grades on Thurs...
I have 13 GCSEs/IGCSEs: an A*, a 9, an 8, four As, four Bs, a 5 in Maths, and an E in Latin (which I’m getting remarked).
Would these grades disadvantage my chances of getting into a really good uni like Oxford or Cambridge? Even if I buck up and do really well in my A-levels? They probably expect a long list of A*s 😒

Depending on what you apply for, your 5 in maths might be an issue at some top universities.
Reply 6

For which course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

Not sure about Oxford but the unis I applied to and the one I’m starting in September didn’t even ask for mine I’m sure, they mostly care about your A level subjects and the results in A level & personal statement and anything extra like an EPQ
Reply 8
Original post by Lydia8
Not sure about Oxford but the unis I applied to and the one I’m starting in September didn’t even ask for mine I’m sure, they mostly care about your A level subjects and the results in A level & personal statement and anything extra like an EPQ

You would have told them all your GCSE grades when you applied, so they don't need to "ask for" them.

Meeting any minimum GCSE requirements for a specific course is an important check for a university. Not meeting such a requirement is likely to lead to your application being immediately rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
You would have told them all your GCSE grades when you applied, so they don't need to "ask for" them.

Meeting any minimum GCSE requirements for a specific course is an important check for a university. Not meeting such a requirement is likely to lead to your application being immediately rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure even the top unis, like Cambridge (apart from Oxford maybe) Will be more than happy to accept you (given that they accept all your other stuff) if you meet the MINIMUM gcse requirement which is usually to have a pass in at least 5 GCSEs (including the main ones, or a B or above in Maths and science and english depending on your course). If you apply to a top uni you're more likely to have good GCSE results anyway.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

No that’s what I’m saying, at interviews and meetings and everything they mentioned nothing about GCSE’s, just spoke to me about portfolios, personal statement, what I was expected at A level, etc.
Reply 11
Original post by Lydia8
No that’s what I’m saying, at interviews and meetings and everything they mentioned nothing about GCSE’s, just spoke to me about portfolios, personal statement, what I was expected at A level, etc.

Indeed, because you met their minimum GCSE requirements. Beyond that they aren't that important in most cases :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Most GCSE requirements are similar to to requirements to get into sixth form in the first place, the requirements for my uni were actually less that the requirements for my sixth form ahah
Thanks for the advice, didn’t expect to receive so many responses!

For which course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would like to study law and eventually become a barrister. Working as a part time PA for a barrister at the moment and really enjoying it.

That E really would disadvantage you for Oxbridge Oxford is probably out of reach because they do require top GCSE grades (It's still worth applying though because your grades are good) Cambridge is more likely to accept you because even if you GCSE's aren't very high they may still accept someone with top predicted grades personally in your position with those grades I'd be apply in for Cambridge (you can only apply to one Oxbridge university at a time) and my other options would be picked out from the UK top 10 go to open days this year and choose places you like when you apply go t the applicant days particually if you haven't been to the open days you'll still get good uni those GCSE grades are very good and really shouldn't disadvantage you too much good luck .
Reply 15
Thanks for the advice, didn’t expect to receive so many responses!

I would like to study law and eventually become a barrister. Working as a part time PA for a barrister at the moment and really enjoying it.

They are fine for Cambridge, probably not so much for Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Going to throw another spanner in the works here lol.. I am also Northern Irish and self-educated. I sat my exams as a private candidate. Is this likely to have any effect as well?
Reply 17
Going to throw another spanner in the works here lol.. I am also Northern Irish and self-educated. I sat my exams as a private candidate. Is this likely to have any effect as well?

Makes no specific difference, but you can mention it in your UCAS reference, and the Cambridge SAQ.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending