The Student Room Group

Sherlanddris' Year 10 GYG

Welcome! Here I will be documenting my journey through Year 10! Revision, extra curriculars, DOFE and growing my grades! Hoping this works as I am not very TSR savvy yet!

Predicted Grades and Subjects I am taking
Edexcel and the predicted grades are from parents evening in Year 9 ( luckily I made a note of them) and aren't based off a exam, more the teachers rough prediction.

English Literature- 8/9
English Language - 8/9
Maths- 7
History-8/9
French- ( he didn't give me one but I am hoping for a 7!)
Music- 7/8 ( I am taking this one this year!)
Physics- Again, for all 3 sciences I wasn't given a prediction because my teacher was too sick to come to parents evening although I am hoping for a 7 in each..)
Chemistry
Biology
( They are color coded in terms of how confident I feel in them!)

This year....
I am,
progressing with my ABRSM music exams
taking IGCSE Music
Doing silver DOFE
Going on a school trip abroad
and
Growing my grades!

the future!
Future A level options are..

Option 1 - for if I were to decide to apply for Law, Politics or International Relations with French
- English Lit
- Gov and Politics
-History
- AS French or French A level

Option 2 - for if i were to decide to apply for Dentistry, Medicine or anything ' sciency'
- Chemistry
- Biology
- Either French or English Lit ( I dont think my maths is strong enough to do at A level)

Core Revision Plan
so, every day after school I am planning to condense all notes taken into a revision notebook and make flashcards, that way I will be constantly on top of the notes and when it comes to revising time I can focus on actually learning the content and not copying out. Someone who achieved mostly 8's gave me this tip, although she did it at the end of every week I am doing it every day so the notes don't all pile up and I can make notes the day I am taught them.

I'm not too sure if this is the ' right' way to do a GYG but I am figuring it out! Good luck to everyone for this year!
Also I haven't worked out how to tag people yet but I think you can ' watch' this forum?

Thanks!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Summer Work

Read To Kill a Mockingbird and annotated in terms of themes
Did a few pages of music revision, but not really enough as I wasn't feeling too motivated in terms of Music.
Wrote up Physics and Chemistry notes from Year 9 as we did a module of IGCSE content so I made notes and flashcards ( I still need to do Biology)

And thats is it...

I didn't do as much prep as I planned but I did have a great summer.. Oh well, I am now super motivated for this coming year! Will keep you updated with baseline grades etc
prosm!!

quick tip: if you want to tag someone into a post so they get notified that you've posted you can click the label next to the smiley face on the task bar :smile:

sounds great i can't wait to read how year 10 goes for you! it sounds like you're going to have a busy but enjoyable year from my perspective :smile:
Woah great predicted grades:wink: best of luck:hugs:
Which instrument are you taking the Abrsm exams in?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by stalkingsilence
prosm!!

quick tip: if you want to tag someone into a post so they get notified that you've posted you can click the label next to the smiley face on the task bar :smile:

sounds great i can't wait to read how year 10 goes for you! it sounds like you're going to have a busy but enjoyable year from my perspective :smile:

Thanks so much!
Original post by Toastiekid
Woah grade predicted grades:wink: best of luck:hugs:
Which instrument are you taking the Abrsm exams in?

Im doing Grade 5 Clarinet! I should have taken it last year but there weren't any teachers where I live so now I have skype lessons which are interesting.. Cool but difficult sometimes!
Original post by sherlanddris
Im doing Grade 5 Clarinet! I should have taken it last year but there weren't any teachers where I live so now I have skype lessons which are interesting.. Cool but difficult sometimes!

wow! That’s awesome- do you play in an orchestra? (I’m so jealous of people in orchestras- wish I could play in one:frown:) good luck!
wow! That’s awesome- do you play in an orchestra? (I’m so jealous of people in orchestras- wish I could play in one:frown:) good luck!

I would love too but the closest orchestra to me is a 2 hour drive :frown: do you play anything?
Original post by sherlanddris
I would love too but the closest orchestra to me is a 2 hour drive :frown: do you play anything?

aww:sadnod:
I play piano, guitar and ukulele:gah: (debating stopping piano for a bit though...)
aww:sadnod:
I play piano, guitar and ukulele:gah: (debating stopping piano for a bit though...)

Oh cool! I've tried piano and guitar and just couldn't get the hang of them! The whole two alternate lines in each hand for piano didn't work for me as clarinet is solely a treble clef instrument so I'm not great at reading the bass clef. Thats great you play 3! I get about wanting to stop for a while, I took a 1-2 month break from clarinet and I felt so much more motivated and ready when it came back to lessons and although I haven't sat my Grade 5 yet I still feel positive about it! Are you doing Music IGCSE?
First Day Of School

The Good Bits:
- small year group , i only had 4 people in my biology class!
- really nice new teachers

Not so good bits:

- I got moved down a set in maths :frown: Now in set 2.. I think it will be for the best though as my new teacher is really good and has offered short course statistics for us as an ECA.. I think I will do it as I have had my confidence with maths knocked again with being moved down.. Anyone else had this? I will still be sitting Higher.

Overall, a good day!
I still have my new Chemistry teacher to meet but all the other ones I've had before that I haven't met already .
EVENING PLAN:
- Write up Biology notes ( the only subject we did work! )
- Set up Edmodo
- Fill in Silver DofE form
- RELAX

The first day definitely felt like a massive step up and everything seemed more serious but I liked it! I felt we were being taken seriously by teachers. Hopeful for a good year!!
how exciting!
posting to subscribe xx
Original post by clouddbubbles
how exciting!
posting to subscribe xx

Thanks so much!
Your predicted grades are great:smile:
Thanks! They were quite rough predictions from the teachers though.. Def feeling a lot less confident after starting the syllabus but thank you
Original post by jemima0103
Your predicted grades are great:smile:
3/09/18
After School Work
- completed 4 a4 pages of maths work ( each page with 2 columns of work on it) ( hw set today for next sunday but finished it all today)
to do:
- french hw
- English To Kill a Mockingbird research presentation
- Make Chemistry Flashcards
And I'm back after doing all that!

I'm feeling super tired, I also squeezed in 15 minutes Clarinet Practise too..
In year 9, we barely got homework but I do have a habit of doing the homework the day I get it so hopefully I can stick to that this year but there seems to be a huge amount of work being set. Maybe this was a heavy day but it took a while to do.

I didn't get maths homework last year but my new teacher seems big on 2 hour long tasks, as much as homework can be annoying it actually really helped. I took a bit longer because I had to watch a few videos to explain the method but once I got it I was flying through the questions. I am glad I was moved down to set 2 because I think this extra work will really benefit me. The top set doesn't get homework but I think the extra time has really helped me and I feel confident to go into lessons knowing that I have worked it out already with the help of youtube!
Not the best day....

The nurse sent me home as I have sprained my back from carrying 7 books and textbooks ( so 14 books lol) around on my back as they haven't issued us lockers yet... I left after the 1st lesson so have emailed all my teachers to get catch up work as I am fine to work I just physically cannot lean over a desk or walk around. I've only heard back from my French teacher but I will complete the work as I get it... I forced myself to go into school today because I thought I could handle the pain but I struggled massively so went to the nurse and its sprained and under a lot of stress from my bag. Hoping your day was better!
sorry i haven't been seeing any of your posts!
i hope your back is feeling a little bit better!!!
2 weeks into GCSE'S.. Subject Roundup
English-
- Loving english at the moment! Always been my fave subject and we are currently doing To Kill a Mockingbird which is really interesting

Maths-
- suprisingly finding maths really easy at the moment! doing factor trees, standard form and index laws. It is a little bit too easy and I know the group above are doing harder stuff. I hope I can still access higher grades. I also have my first Statistics lesson tommorow so will update on that!

Physics-
- Probably my least favorite subject out of all of them, I am really struggling with it and have tried to self teach what I don't get but its hard! Hopefully it'll improve but it is going to be my achilles heel! So difficult..

Biology
- Biology is cool, we've done practicals etc and I find it quite basic so far.

Chemistry
- Chemistry definitely isn't easy, but if i think about it it is doable ( unlike physics!) So far I am really enjoying it and my teacher is really good!

History-
- We are currently doing the Cold War and it is super interesting! I like how instead of just learning facts we can discuss why we think things happened and the cause and consequence. It's much more interesting than I had thought!

French-
French is ok! I am cruising along quite nicely, I don't dislike it but I don't overly enjoy lessons however I feel more confident in my French ability now than I did at the beginning!

Music
So.Much.Content. Highkey stressing about it as I am taking it this year.

Statistics
- at my school its an ECA session so I start that tommorow, If the teacher thinks I am struggling I won't do it but hoping to take it this year too!

I am also probably going to make a thread of books I am reading or plan to read to track that. Also I am going to start swim squad again which I havent done for years! I'm sure my times are a lot slower than they were because I havent swam in a year or so ( competitively) wish me luck!

Think I've worked out how to tag people now!!

Have a good week!

Quick Reply