Should I give up the IB and take 2 years to do A Levels?

Watch
utuxotwod
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So, I just completed my first year of the IB (International Baccalaureate Diploma).
I am doing okay at the moment but i have such a gut instinct that I'm going to get really sh*tty results in the end, especially because I take maths as part of the IB and I'm TERRIBLE at it (even though I do maths studies, I keep staying at around grade 2 which is horrid).
I just don't think I can excel in the IB when I do difficult subjects i'm not good at such as maths, biology, french. On top of that, I'm really struggling with my extended essay and completing CAS.
So, I have the opportunity to enrol for A Levels at my sixth form from this September. I think although I'll be year behind, I would do so much better at A Levels because I'd pick subjects I actually love (English, Geography, Psychology).
I have two routes:
1) Continue with the IB which finishes in about 8 months. Get my results next year around may/june, which i expect to be sh*tty, and get into a mediocre uni.
OR
2) Start all over again and begin my 2-year course for A Levels. Excel and do well, get into a great uni (possibly even apply for Oxbridge).

I NEED HELP.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by utuxotwod)
So, I just completed my first year of the IB (International Baccalaureate Diploma).
I am doing okay at the moment but i have such a gut instinct that I'm going to get really sh*tty results in the end, especially because I take maths as part of the IB and I'm TERRIBLE at it (even though I do maths studies, I keep staying at around grade 2 which is horrid).
I just don't think I can excel in the IB when I do difficult subjects i'm not good at such as maths, biology, french. On top of that, I'm really struggling with my extended essay and completing CAS.
So, I have the opportunity to enrol for A Levels at my sixth form from this September. I think although I'll be year behind, I would do so much better at A Levels because I'd pick subjects I actually love (English, Geography, Psychology).
I have two routes:
1) Continue with the IB which finishes in about 8 months. Get my results next year around may/june, which i expect to be sh*tty, and get into a mediocre uni.
OR
2) Start all over again and begin my 2-year course for A Levels. Excel and do well, get into a great uni (possibly even apply for Oxbridge).

I NEED HELP.
If you honestly think you are going to end badly then 100% switch and choose A levels you can do well in. You just seem to want permission to do it. Not a big deal and you will soon be into A levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (125)
28.22%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.09%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.64%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.26%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.8%

Watched Threads