thlhfk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve decided to do an EPQ related to my Classical Civilisation course and I’ve convinced myself to make an artefact. I’m going to make a Greek amphora in the same style, using the same (or as similar as possible) materials/techniques, but I’m not entirely sure what I should etch onto the piece. I think I’d quite like to draw comparisons between what the Greeks considered ‘art’ and what we think ‘art’ is today, by using the ancient technē (get it..?!) but with a modern perspective. I know that it was rather common for Greek pottery to be made by one person and painted/decorated by another, and I feel that this could support my idea?

Does anyone see where I’m coming from? And, if I do go forward with this, does anyone have any ideas as to what ‘art’ I could paint on it?

Thank you!
Bogotá
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Art is **** nowadays. You could do a blank canvas with a red dot on the left
thlhfk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bogotá)
I thank you for your... insight.
thlhfk
Rep:
?
(Original post by thlhfk)
I thank you for your... insight.
(Original post by Bogotá)
This is exactly what I mean by “perspective” though. I think that suggestion is “****” but others may appreciate its minimalist appearance and attitude.
bunnisuh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Heya, maybe you could paint a depiction of a Greek myth, but paint the figures in the styles of different art movements, so it goes from traditional Greek figures to Renaissance to Impressionist, so you get a history of art throughout the vase? Idk if that was what you were implying but I hope this helps.

Also, are you starting Classical Civilisations this year? Because I'm going into Year 12 and its going to be one of my A-Levels and I was thinking it would be cool to build up a Classics support group on here
thlhfk
Rep:
?
(Original post by bunnisuh)
Heya, maybe you could paint a depiction of a Greek myth, but paint the figures in the styles of different art movements, so it goes from traditional Greek figures to Renaissance to Impressionist, so you get a history of art throughout the vase? Idk if that was what you were implying but I hope this helps.

Also, are you starting Classical Civilisations this year? Because I'm going into Year 12 and its going to be one of my A-Levels and I was thinking it would be cool to build up a Classics support group on here
Oh my gosh that’s a fantastic idea!! Thank you so much! I’ll definitely ask my supervisor to help me develop it even further! I’m so excited about this now ))

I’ve actually just finished year 12 but I agree with your group idea as well. It’d be an amazing opportunity to share scholarship and help each other with things like this/related to the course. Will you be studying on the OCR board (if you know)? Having a platform on which to share knowledge and opinions would really help any Classics students, so it’s definitely something to look into! )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads