How to get 9s in your GCSE Watch

shaina2555
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi guys. Can you please help me to get a 9. I am in year 9 and I am going to start my GCSE in 2 years. For a fact I know that 2 years is gonna come really quickly. I feel like I am taking my GCSE tomorrow. Please can you help me how to get a 9. I do not know where to start. It would make my day if you would give me some suggestion.
DGeorge13
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Firstly, it’s good that you are focusing on your GCSEs this early as it shows you are dedicated.
I have just done my exams and got 10 grade 9s and this required hard work. What I will say is that you don’t want to overdo it and study too much as you could burn out and this will make it very hard to do well.
In terms of advice, I think you should firstly find out your learning style so that you can try out different strategies for revision this year so that you know what works for you when you want to focus on solely studying.
I don’t recommend you doing too much but if you want to perhaps do 3 30 minute segments of study a night and split these evenly between subjects so that you can start finding your weaknesses and building a tolerance to revision so it’s not too much of a shock when you start seriously revising later.
In terms of what to do, perhaps look over what you’ve done in lessons and start collating resources so that you don’t have to do this later
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
shaina2555
Rep:
?
(Original post by DGeorge13)
Firstly, it’s good that you are focusing on your GCSEs this early as it shows you are dedicated.
I have just done my exams and got 10 grade 9s and this required hard work. What I will say is that you don’t want to overdo it and study too much as you could burn out and this will make it very hard to do well.
In terms of advice, I think you should firstly find out your learning style so that you can try out different strategies for revision this year so that you know what works for you when you want to focus on solely studying.
I don’t recommend you doing too much but if you want to perhaps do 3 30 minute segments of study a night and split these evenly between subjects so that you can start finding your weaknesses and building a tolerance to revision so it’s not too much of a shock when you start seriously revising later.
In terms of what to do, perhaps look over what you’ve done in lessons and start collating resources so that you don’t have to do this later
Can you tell me your weekends and weekdays and what you did.
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I did biology, chemistry, physics, maths, English literature , English language, geography, history, Spanish and religious studies .
In yr 9 and 10:
Mon-Fri 3-4: break
4-5:30: subject 1, subject 2, subject 3
I took the rest of the time for homework and after that I relaxed
Weekend - I did homework and then fitted 6x30 min study sessions in and didn’t do anything else
This gave me 3 sessions a week per subject ( I counted English as 1, science as one so one of each )
In year 11 I started doing 3 hrs a subject a week with them still combined as the 7 subjects outlined and then by the end of the year I built a timetable where I was studying 30hrs a week ( quite excessive but it worked for me ). At this point I did 4.5 hrs for a humanities subject and English literature and then 3 hrs per science and then 1.5 hrs English language and then I did 4.5 hrs for Spanish and 1.5 hrs maths. Each of these I sectioned into 1.5 hr slots with a 5 min break after 45 mins and divided between each paper.
I hope this helps.

(Original post by shaina2555)
Can you tell me your weekends and weekdays and what you did.
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Sorry, the post is above the quote
CinnamonSmol
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hiya! I got 2 9's at gcse and made an article on great study techniques, hope ths helps!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5208682
yoongles
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
i got 9s in literature and language and the best way to revise is practice essays and planning essays. Plan essays for every possible essay tittle,write a practice intro, write 3 or 4 main points and a brief summary paragraph for each of them and then a conclusion. thats how i revised for my exams. i also found that by doing this i naturally remembered the quotes i wrote in the plans. i didnt revise for english language because i had history the same day which i was more worried about but doing practice papers and asking your teacher to mark them, and also in the morning i went over language techniques. i also got a 9 in history and what i did was just write loads and loads of in detail notes so i basically had written a timeline of all my courses in depth and then since it was an afternoon me and my friends spent the entire morning testing eachother which was really helpful. i also used flashcards. chem bio and phsics i got a*s since i did igcse and the most important thing to do is past papers. i did a past paper a week before the exam and got 80%, the day before the exam ij was getting 97-100%s just from doing past papers and learning certain words that are always on the markscheme. i got an 8 in math which was really crazy for me since i have dyscalculia and also suck at math lol. i used corbettmaths flashcards which i reccomend and they literally brought me from a 5 to 8. i know 8 isnt a 9 lol but youre probably naturally better at math than me so it will be easier for you to get a 9. to get a 9 in a language literally immerse yourself in it. i watched 15 episodes of a german tv kids show the night before my exam lol. my other subjects were drama and class civ which im assuming u dont do.

dont stress to much. i didnt start revising until four days before my first exam and i did fine. i mean i definitely dont reccomend that but i wouldnt be stressing out about it in yr nine. im not saying dont do any work but dont beat urself up about it. good luck lol
shaina2555
Rep:
?
(Original post by yoongles)
i got 9s in literature and language and the best way to revise is practice essays and planning essays. Plan essays for every possible essay tittle,write a practice intro, write 3 or 4 main points and a brief summary paragraph for each of them and then a conclusion. Thats how i revised for my exams. I also found that by doing this i naturally remembered the quotes i wrote in the plans. I didnt revise for english language because i had history the same day which i was more worried about but doing practice papers and asking your teacher to mark them, and also in the morning i went over language techniques. I also got a 9 in history and what i did was just write loads and loads of in detail notes so i basically had written a timeline of all my courses in depth and then since it was an afternoon me and my friends spent the entire morning testing eachother which was really helpful. I also used flashcards. Chem bio and phsics i got a*s since i did igcse and the most important thing to do is past papers. I did a past paper a week before the exam and got 80%, the day before the exam ij was getting 97-100%s just from doing past papers and learning certain words that are always on the markscheme. I got an 8 in math which was really crazy for me since i have dyscalculia and also suck at math lol. I used corbettmaths flashcards which i reccomend and they literally brought me from a 5 to 8. I know 8 isnt a 9 lol but youre probably naturally better at math than me so it will be easier for you to get a 9. To get a 9 in a language literally immerse yourself in it. I watched 15 episodes of a german tv kids show the night before my exam lol. My other subjects were drama and class civ which im assuming u dont do.

Dont stress to much. I didnt start revising until four days before my first exam and i did fine. I mean i definitely dont reccomend that but i wouldnt be stressing out about it in yr nine. Im not saying dont do any work but dont beat urself up about it. Good luck lol
thank you so much!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (134)
18.23%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
9.93%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (127)
17.28%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (105)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (72)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (224)
30.48%

Watched Threads