Is it worth retaking English if I already passed with a 6?

Watch this thread
Dilan Kaygisiz
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
MAIN ISSUE: So I had a 6 for both English language and literature. However I was 3 marks off from a 7 in language and 5 marks away in literature. The exams I took this summer was one of the worst papers I did and I believe I can do better.
I won't take english for A levels so it feels like its the only "proof" of my ability and it's the lowest among all my other grades when it matters so much.
I m willing to pay for retaking and I'll only do Language this year maybe but would it be difficult whilst doing Bio, Chem and Maths at a levels?

Where i went wrong: my timing was off in language so I missed Q3 in paper 1 and Q2 in paper 2, plus I can improve descriptive writing in paper 1.
For literature it was due to my poetry section otherwise i had really good marks for the texts. I ended up missing the last 8 mark question and the poetry comparison was all over the place due to panic.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
have you considered getting a remark? not worth resitting imo grade 6 is still good though i don't think lang'll be that hard to manage as it's mainly just practicing exam technique.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I wouldn't say it is worth it.
bunnisuh
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I would definitely look into a remark for Language as you are fairly close to the grade boundary. Although I don't know about resitting.
kikideekee
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I'm not too sure what a grade 6 is equivalent wise but i got a C in maths gcse two years ago and retook to ge a B and actually got an A and it really helped me with my applications to unis as they obvs prefer an A to a C but then again it was for law so that was important. i also didnt do anything to do with maths at a level. i would say it is worth doing language again, lit iant compulsory so wouldnt stress much over it.
bluemuffin
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yeah I was 4 marks away from a grade 7 in English language, might get it remarked

In your case I wouldn't recommend retaking the exams, it's not worth it
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dilan Kaygisiz)
MAIN ISSUE: So I had a 6 for both English language and literature. However I was 3 marks off from a 7 in language and 5 marks away in literature. The exams I took this summer was one of the worst papers I did and I believe I can do better.
I won't take english for A levels so it feels like its the only "proof" of my ability and it's the lowest among all my other grades when it matters so much.
I m willing to pay for retaking and I'll only do Language this year maybe but would it be difficult whilst doing Bio, Chem and Maths at a levels?

Where i went wrong: my timing was off in language so I missed Q3 in paper 1 and Q2 in paper 2, plus I can improve descriptive writing in paper 1.
For literature it was due to my poetry section otherwise i had really good marks for the texts. I ended up missing the last 8 mark question and the poetry comparison was all over the place due to panic.
Do you need a grade higher than a 6 or do just want one?
Dilan Kaygisiz
Rep:
(Original post by bunnisuh)
I would definitely look into a remark for Language as you are fairly close to the grade boundary. Although I don't know about resitting.
Usually school pays for remarks if its really close but there too many people who are 1 mark away, so I'd have to pay myself. How much is a remark compared to paying to retake? My teachers said with the new gcse's plus shortage of examiners they are less likely to award more marks and move grade up.
Dilan Kaygisiz
Rep:
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Do you need a grade higher than a 6 or do just want one?
I want a higher grade because I didn't try hard enough for English last year and I know I have the potential to get higher. Plus a lot of employers and university's value English and since i m not taking any written based A levels this would be the last "proof" of my "capabilities" even if i get better at Language. Also its the lowest among all my grades when its a core subject:
9 - bio + chem
8- maths + physics
7- drama + german
A*- Rs + turkish
bunnisuh
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dilan Kaygisiz)
Usually school pays for remarks if its really close but there too many people who are 1 mark away, so I'd have to pay myself. How much is a remark compared to paying to retake? My teachers said with the new gcse's plus shortage of examiners they are less likely to award more marks and move grade up.
Basically, they no longer really offer a 'remark' as such.

There are 2 services you can have done:

Clerical Recheck
This is a re-check of all clerical procedures leading to the issue of a result. It includes the following checks:
- that all parts of the script have been marked
- the totalling of marks
-the recording of marks
- if requested, a photocopy of the re-checked script
This costs £12.00 maximum and the deadline is the 20th of September 2018

Review of Marking
This is a review of the original marking to ensure that the agreed mark scheme has been applied correctly, but it is not a remarking of the candidate's script. Reviewers will not remark the script. This service includes:
- A clerical recheck
- A review of marking as described above
This costs £50.00 maximum and the deadline is the 20th of September

You can pay to request copies of GCSE scripts before deciding whether to lodge a review of marking.

You must think carefully about applying for any of these services as grades can go down.

I got this information from a document provided to me by my school in my envelope. I hope it is useful.
Dilan Kaygisiz
Rep:
(Original post by kikideekee)
I'm not too sure what a grade 6 is equivalent wise but i got a C in maths gcse two years ago and retook to ge a B and actually got an A and it really helped me with my applications to unis as they obvs prefer an A to a C but then again it was for law so that was important. i also didnt do anything to do with maths at a level. i would say it is worth doing language again, lit iant compulsory so wouldnt stress much over it.
A 6 is the old B but with the new system it isnt seen as highly. I agree, if i do retake I ll only do language since thats what people value the most and literature has too much revision to do with all the 14 poems they introduced. My ultimate goal would be to get an 8.
Dilan Kaygisiz
Rep:
Thank you that is some really useful information, I m gonna have some conversations with my teachers and I'll see about it.

(Original post by bunnisuh)
Basically, they no longer really offer a 'remark' as such.

There are 2 services you can have done:

Clerical Recheck
This is a re-check of all clerical procedures leading to the issue of a result. It includes the following checks:
- that all parts of the script have been marked
- the totalling of marks
-the recording of marks
- if requested, a photocopy of the re-checked script
This costs £12.00 maximum and the deadline is the 20th of September 2018

Review of Marking
This is a review of the original marking to ensure that the agreed mark scheme has been applied correctly, but it is not a remarking of the candidate's script. Reviewers will not remark the script. This service includes:
- A clerical recheck
- A review of marking as described above
This costs £50.00 maximum and the deadline is the 20th of September

You can pay to request copies of GCSE scripts before deciding whether to lodge a review of marking.

You must think carefully about applying for any of these services as grades can go down.

I got this information from a document provided to me by my school in my envelope. I hope it is useful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (68)
66.02%
No (26)
25.24%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.74%

Watched Threads