Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (30)
63.83%
On the contrary, No (10)
21.28%
Abstain (7)
14.89%
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
V1412 – Sex Trade Legalisation Bill 2018, TSR Libertarian Party

Sex Trade Legalisation Bill 2018

A Bill to fully legalise the sex trade.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: Licensable activities and qualifying club activities
(1) For the purposes of this Act the following are licensable activities:
(a) The sale of sexual acts, and;
(b) The supply of sexual acts by or on behalf of a club to, or to the order of, a member of the club.

(2) For the purposes of this Act premises are used for a licensable activity if that activity is carried on or from the premises.

2. Licensing authorities
(1) In this Act, ‘licensing authority’ means:
(a) The council of a district in England,
(b) The council of a county in England in which there are no district councils,
(c) The council of a county or county borough in Wales,
(d) The council of a London borough,
(e) The Common Council of the City of London,
(f) The Sub-Treasurer of the Inner Temple,
(g) The Under-Treasurer of the Middle Temple, or;
(h) The Council of the Isles of Scilly.

(2) For the purposes of this Act, a licensing authority’s area is the area for which the authority acts.

(3) Each licensing authority must keep a register containing:
(a) A record of each premises licence, club premises certificate and personal licence issued by it,
(b) A record of each temporary event notice received by it, and;
(c) Such other information as may be prescribed.

(4) Each licensing authority must establish a licensing committee consisting of at least ten, but not more than fifteen, members of the authority.
(a) This section does not apply in relation to the Sub-Treasurer of the Inner Temple or the Under-Treasurer of the Middle Temple and,
(b) All matters relating to the discharge by a licensing authority of its licensing functions are, by virtue of this subsection, referred to its licensing committee and, accordingly, that committee must discharge those functions on behalf of the authority.

3. Licensed premises
(1) In this Act ‘premises licence’ means a licence granted under this section, in respect of any premises, which authorises the premises to be used for one or more licensable activities.

(2) The designated licensee of a brothel shall be the person in possession of the building, whether through ownership lease. The licence shall be non-transferable, either between licensee or building.

(3) Licence Holders must:
(a) Be regularly and usually in charge at the brothel,
(b) Take reasonable steps to ensure that any approved manager, employee, independent contractor or any other person connected with the licensee's business complies with the provisions of this Act and any other laws relevant to the conduct of the business while the licensee is engaged in that business,
(c) Ensure all employees who engage in sexual acts as a part of their job are tested for STIs at least once each calendar month, and;
(d) Ensure all customers of sexual workers present a doctor’s note dated from with the last month confirming that they are free from STIs.

(4) Testing and certifications in sections 3(c) and 3(d) may be administered by any physician or sexual health clinic, but shall not be funded by Her Majesty's Treasury as part of the National Health Service.

(5) A person must not knowingly or recklessly carry on business as a sex work service provider:
(a) Without holding a licence, or;
(b) In breach of any condition of a licence, or;
(c) When a licence is suspended.

4. Repeals
(1) In the Sexual Offences Act 1956:
(a) Replace S33 with the following:
‘It is an offence for a person to keep an unlicensed brothel, or to manage, or act or assist in the management of, an unlicensed brothel.
a) For the Purposes of this Act an unlicensed brothel is any that does not hold a licence under the Sex Trade Legalisation Bill 2018.’

(b) Replace S33A with the following:
‘(1) It is an offence for a person to keep, or to manage, or act or assist in the management of, a brothel to which people resort for practices involving prostitution (whether or not also for other practices) without first obtaining a licence under the Sex Trade Legalisation Bill 2018 for that property.
(2) In this section ‘prostitution’ has the meaning given by section 51(2) of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.’

(c) Replace all instances of the phrase 'a brothel with 'an unlicensed brothel' in SS35.
(d) Replace all instances of the phrase 'a brothel with 'an unlicensed brothel' in SS36.
(e) S28(2) is repealed.

(2) In the Sexual Offences Act 2003:
(a) Append the following onto 51(a):
‘, where;
i) Person A is not a licenced person.’

(b) Replace 'prostitution' with 'unlicensed prostitution' in S53(1)(a).
(c) 53A is repealed.

5: Commencement, Short Title, Extent and Conditions
(1) This bill shall come into force on 6th April 2019.
(2) This bill may be cited as the Sex Trade Legalisation Bill 2018.
(3) This bill extends to England and Wales.

Notes
Spoiler:
Show
If prostitution is the world’s oldest profession then the laws prohibiting this trade between consenting adults may be the world’s oldest example of government over-protection in regulation as well as gender discrimination. While prostitution is not illegal in the UK, many of the activities surrounding it are, such as advertising and keeping brothels. As is so often the case our government’s determination to 'protect' us has in fact made these activities more dangerous and has let to absurdities in attempts to enforce this illiberal policy. By removing restrictions to this industry, it can become a safer industry, protecting customers and clients as well as restoring to citizens their natural right to do what they want with their own bodies.

Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I hope a complimentary luxury appointment for the Prime Minister is included!
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
I hope a complimentary luxury appointment for the Prime Minister is included!
*cringe*
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
*cringe*
Prostitutes are women just like any other and the luxury ones aren't even filthy.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don’t feel like this does enough to create a regulatory framework from which sex workers can be protected in the trade. Legalisation of prostitution should be far more about protecting the sex worker’s interests than the clients. This feels like a bit of a hatchet job of that. As such I’m voting nay, despite agreeing with the general sentiment, it’s just not done in a particularly progressive or responsible way here.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye.

The market is still insufficiently free in my opinion even after this bill, but it is a substantial improvement and can be amended later.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Since this is heading towards being passed I look forward to protection measures being put in place for vulnerable people to not suffer from this act.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bet all the people voting aye on this are virgins.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I dreamt last night that there were a load of ineligible votes on this.

I think I need to stop dreaming about TSR...
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)

Happens to the best of us it seems xD
Joel 96
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
Bet all the people voting aye on this are virgins.
Somewhere outside TSR there's bound to be a Chad joking about a group of virgins who go on the internet to make fictitious legislation to fuel this imaginary dream of theirs where they can pay women for sex. That's kinda depressing when you think about it.
EagleKingdom
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I disagree with this bill and would rather not see women occupied in such a profession. Even if prostitution is legalized, it can and will lead to the mistreatment of women by abuse, harassment, rape or sex trafficking. Let's be honest, if decriminalized, it will not fully guarantee the safety of women in a brothel. Sex trafficking can definitely increase due to the legalization of prostitution and can possibly make it easier. You can make the argument that they can just report it to the police if they are ill-treated but that is not always the case for all and they may refrain from doing so for the fear of their safety. Additionally, this will pose a danger to our children. Prostitutes will be actively working in the corner of a street in search for potential customers and this will be open to young teenagers that will seek to engage in sexual activities once their hormones begin to kick in.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)

Well there are at least some as there are 48 votes despite only 48 seats
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Two Nays have been removed for seats 19 and 30 which have been lost (Not that it changes the outcome, but I Fez is regarding the seats lost based on when division ends, not when it begins)
One Aye has been added for seat 28

The ayes to the right, 30
The Noes to the left, 10

I think the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it! Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (149)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.47%
No- I want it (69)
28.05%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise