How to revise for GCSE to get an A* Watch

Kavisan292003
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My GCSE is coming close and I need help on how to get an A* in all of the subjects so do you have any tips on how to revise on each subjects?
Starette660
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What GCSEs are you taking?
Kavisan292003
Rep:
?
(Original post by Starette660)
What GCSEs are you taking?
I'm taking biology, chemistry, physics, french, maths, english lit, english language, computer science, geography
They all are edexcel exam board except from french, geography which are AQA
Starette660
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In your sciences you can search on google or whatever you use :worksheets (topic). This should test whether you know your stuff. In maths I strongly suggest to search on YouTube: mr heckleys maths. My own maths teacher uses this all the time and bases his lessons on the videos because he can’t teach haha. In geography you could ask your teacher to take your exercise book home. If this doesn’t work you could buy a text book and flick through that. You must revise thoroughly and effectively to achieve an a* because it’s not easy. Also everyday try to complete at least 3 exam questions for every subject each day. The subjects I didn’t talk about I don’t take myself. Except for English of course hehe. Sorry for the long reply and good luck!!
Urbex
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Past papers are really good for science and maths while practising essays/essay plans for English are also good. Start when you go back to school and do 2 hours a day, on top of doing homework. Trust me that will definitely get you an 8.
emilylgr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There’s lots of YouTube videos that’ll help you. Crash course is good for English, primrose kitten and free science lessons are good for science
NickMbugua
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is what i got in GCSE
Grade 9 in: maths, biology, chemistry, physics, geography, R.E
Grade 8 in: german, english lang & lit, history

feel free to send any pms throughout the year if you need help with anything

First thing REVISE FOR MOCKS- trust me if you revise properly you can find out easily what revision methods work for you and what don't- in mocks i realised that note taking wasn't working for me anymore, i still did it but not as intensively, i realised that flashcards were best for me and began making them for GCSE.

LANGUAGES- Revise using quizlet for vocab, make flashcards on grammar, practice on grammar and listen in class, trust me listening in class instead of talking will save you a heap load of work to do as home cos you would understand things better

SCIENCES- flashcard and note making works best here, constantly test yourself on content,(do not forget to review past chapters consistently) read ahead in the revision guide if you can, use CGP- they are a life saver. As the year goes, trust me chemistry is gonna start to look confusing but when you constantly review it, it becomes easier to understand- practice is key as well here

MATHS - practice asf- do not keep doing the topics that you find most easy, spend as much time as possible doing topics that you find challenging. do not keep doing 1 mark questions- try as much as possible to do long wordy questions because those are the ones that trip people the most. Do as many practice papers as possible

English lang and lit- for Lit, you need to know the books that you are studying well so that for examples if an extract from Macbeth came up you would know instantly where it came from without looking at the blurb that they put before the extract. Make mind maps on each theme if you can and each character (if you start now then you should defo have time to do it)- try to make as many essay plans as possible throughout the year and do some of them and ask your teacher to mark it- if you are scared of looking like a neek or geek just ask your teacher to check it after school or something or at lunch

AQA Geography - this subject really rewards those who know how to answer questions- every 6 and 9 mark question answer it with social, environmental and economical impact unless it asks you to only think of two of them. You need to learn the case study- not completely but you should learn at least 2 stats on each for social, economic and environmental for physical and for human geography you need to be aware of the different schemes that they have for the countries they ask you to study- like Nigeria and Brazil. Also when they ask about NEEs make sure you are aware which example to use- cos in Nigeria you should study about the economy there and for Brazil it should be about the social lifestyle there.

if you want me to go more in depth- i have the time so just reply and i would go more in depth
Kavisan292003
Rep:
?
(Original post by Starette660)
In your sciences you can search on google or whatever you use :worksheets (topic). This should test whether you know your stuff. In maths I strongly suggest to search on YouTube: mr heckleys maths. My own maths teacher uses this all the time and bases his lessons on the videos because he can’t teach haha. In geography you could ask your teacher to take your exercise book home. If this doesn’t work you could buy a text book and flick through that. You must revise thoroughly and effectively to achieve an a* because it’s not easy. Also everyday try to complete at least 3 exam questions for every subject each day. The subjects I didn’t talk about I don’t take myself. Except for English of course hehe. Sorry for the long reply and good luck!!
Thank you for the advice I will watch Mr Heckleys maths to help me in my maths
Kavisan292003
Rep:
?
(Original post by NickMbugua)

First thing REVISE FOR MOCKS- trust me if you revise properly you can find out easily what revision methods work for you and what don't- in mocks i realised that note taking wasn't working for me anymore, i still did it but not as intensively, i realised that flashcards were best for me and began making them for GCSE.

LANGUAGES- Revise using quizlet for vocab, make flashcards on grammar, practice on grammar and listen in class, trust me listening in class instead of talking will save you a heap load of work to do as home cos you would understand things better

SCIENCES- flashcard and note making works best here, constantly test yourself on content,(do not forget to review past chapters consistently) read ahead in the revision guide if you can, use CGP- they are a life saver. As the year goes, trust me chemistry is gonna start to look confusing but when you constantly review it, it becomes easier to understand- practice is key as well here

MATHS - practice asf- do not keep doing the topics that you find most easy, spend as much time as possible doing topics that you find challenging. do not keep doing 1 mark questions- try as much as possible to do long wordy questions because those are the ones that trip people the most. Do as many practice papers as possible

English lang and lit- for Lit, you need to know the books that you are studying well so that for examples if an extract from Macbeth came up you would know instantly where it came from without looking at the blurb that they put before the extract. Make mind maps on each theme if you can and each character (if you start now then you should defo have time to do it)- try to make as many essay plans as possible throughout the year and do some of them and ask your teacher to mark it- if you are scared of looking like a neek or geek just ask your teacher to check it after school or something or at lunch

AQA Geography - this subject really rewards those who know how to answer questions- every 6 and 9 mark question answer it with social, environmental and economical impact unless it asks you to only think of two of them. You need to learn the case study- not completely but you should learn at least 2 stats on each for social, economic and environmental for physical and for human geography you need to be aware of the different schemes that they have for the countries they ask you to study- like Nigeria and Brazil. Also when they ask about NEEs make sure you are aware which example to use- cos in Nigeria you should study about the economy there and for Brazil it should be about the social lifestyle there.

if you want me to go more in depth- i have the time so just reply and i would go more in depth
Thank you for the tips I think that would be enough tips so thank you so much
Kavisan292003
Rep:
?

Actually can you please go on depth for English Language (your revision tips are actually very helpful)
zapper31592
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
[QUOTE=NickMbugua;79496400]This is what i got in GCSE

if you want me to go more in depth- i have the time so just reply and i would go more in depth[

Hiya,
These are the results i got in my mocks in June 2017, take into consideration i went abroad from the 11th of March to the 26th of April and My Mocks were in June
English Lit-3
English Lang-3
Maths- 5 (But i cheated)
Religious Studies- 8
HIstory-7
Gerrman-3
Combined Science-2+
Anything you could do to help!?
Yn1602
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kavisan292003)
My GCSE is coming close and I need help on how to get an A* in all of the subjects so do you have any tips on how to revise on each subjects?
In science whichever exam board you are (mine was edexcel) go on the website and look at the Specification and make flashcards for EVERY SINGLE POINT on the specification Use CGP Science textbooks to help you.Find practice papers and do them then mark them I cannot stress that enough.Make flashcards early because there is a lot of content.Memorise all chemistry formulas and physics formulas and practice those every single day.For every topic I completed I would use savemyexams.com for GCSE questions based on the topic.Ask teachers for help if youre stuck don't leave it till last minute
I used my CGP Edexcel revision guide and memorised most of the book and I came out with an 8 in combined science and an 8 in additional science 233/360

In maths,Write down all the formulas you need to know on flashcards and memorise them.go through a CGP Maths book and answer 2-5 questions on each and EVERY topic e.g 2-5 questions on Completing the square, functions etc and mark them then the ones you are not good at go over use Mathsgenie and watch the how to videos and get some practise questions on the topic.Keep practising did this and got an 7

Any language, use a CGP book with your exam board and go to the back there will be a vocab list write down every single word on flashcards takes a long time but worth it then MEMORISE THEM!!! listen to music in the language and watch tv shows with that language and use subtitles as well to familiarise yourself with how quick they speak on TV because when you do listening tests it will be easier because they will speak SOOOO much slower
I did this and I could translate any GCSE French text word for word no mistakes and reading writing and speaking was an absolute Breeze!

HOPE this helps !!
NickMbugua
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
[QUOTE=zapper31592;79499164]

if you want me to go more in depth- i have the time so just reply and i would go more in depth[

Hiya,
These are the results i got in my mocks in June 2017, take into consideration i went abroad from the 11th of March to the 26th of April and My Mocks were in June
English Lit-3
English Lang-3
Maths- 5 (But i cheated)
Religious Studies- 8
HIstory-7
Gerrman-3
Combined Science-2+
Anything you could do to help!?
Revision Techniques
English Lit: just make sure you know your books well, so make sure you read them, make chapter summaries and make revision content like notes and mind maps on themes and characters, make a versatile quote bank and analyse them and remember both the quote and the analysis. the poems as well, make notes on context from Mr Bruff, use genius on the poems for analysis is heavenly the ideas that come from them https://genius.com/Ted-hughes-bayonet-charge-annotated for example

English Lang- Practice makes perfect, here you need to make sure that you practice your skills as this way you learn what to look out for and can analyse better

Maths- 5 (But i cheated) practice makes perfect https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p82gm5b60...GYeiCMODa?dl=0 here are some maths resources also use mathsbot and mathsgenie. If you cant do something look online or just ask your teacher but you need to practice daily cos you will forget by the time exams come. constantly review it as much as possible the topics in class and be on top of it

Gerrman-3 Learn the rubrics and vocab found here https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...68-SP-2016.PDF (scroll right down)- Learn a section each week or fortnight so hopefully by december you already know a good portion. You defo need to learn the rubrics to make sure that you can answer the questions that they ask in German. I put them on quizlet so here is the link to flashcards for it https://quizlet.com/NKM648/folders/german-vocab. Then learn the grammar, read and do tasks to learn how to use the accusative, dative and genitive case as quickly as possible. By October you should be able to know instantly that der goes to den accusative, then to dem dative then to des genitive, you should be able to use it and recognise it in sentences.

Combined Science- Make flashcards, and get the CGP books for these. Read it and try to understand everything. Test yourself using exam resources to test yourself on every topic that you have read. The more exam resources that use the better cos you learn answers and questions and they ask the same questions in exams and you can instantly answer it. Flashcards are awesome here are some on quizlet: https://quizlet.com/matteocatilo/fol...hysics-paper-1 https://quizlet.com/matteocatilo/folders/37802656 https://quizlet.com/matteocatilo/fol...mistry-paper-2 https://quizlet.com/matteocatilo/fol...iology-paper-2 https://quizlet.com/matteocatilo/fol...iology-paper-1 however i dont have physics paper 2, sorry just learn and review the content.
NickMbugua
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kavisan292003)
Actually can you please go on depth for English Language (your revision tips are actually very helpful)
to be honest that was my weakest subject, but what i did, was revise for it by constantly doing practise papers and give them to my english teacher. i only really started doing them in March but make sure you do it in timed conditions so that you get used to it cos time goes by really fast in the exam. Here are some revision resources that you can use
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k9q5rnqxj...kF7GW9qPa?dl=0
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University