Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Doctorate

Watch
thesteelassassin
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Does the subject you study at undergrad have to be the same (or similar topic) you pick at postgrad and doctorate? Or could you choose something different to study at all different degree levels (within reason)?
bekahw96
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know people who have taken a different Master's to Undergrad, but not then to PhD. There can be links between Undergrads and differing Master's that can then lead you to a certain type of PhD. Are you thinking of a specific example?
thesteelassassin
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by bekahw96)
I know people who have taken a different Master's to Undergrad, but not then to PhD. There can be links between Undergrads and differing Master's that can then lead you to a certain type of PhD. Are you thinking of a specific example?
So, for example, if I wanted to study American studies at undergrad level but then at postgrad I did English Literature. Or would I have to continue on from American studies into postgrad and so on?

If that made sense
bekahw96
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by thesteelassassin)
So, for example, if I wanted to study American studies at undergrad level but then at postgrad I did English Literature. Or would I have to continue on from American studies into postgrad and so on?

If that made sense
I understand! It depends on the University, and how appropriate your Undergrad was in relation to the Master's. Did you do many Literature-related courses at Undergrad? Another thing - sometimes you can get Master's that overlap between two subjects. For example, my Master's in Evolution is open to students from loads of backgrounds, like Biology, computer science, archeology and more.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moved to Postgraduate Applications
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by thesteelassassin)

If that made sense
I wouldn't have thought so. But it just depends.

If you had any modules in American Literature then you'd might be able to apply for MA English Lit. Since some MA are for the professional world and others is just to study a subject at a higher level, it would depend. The latter being Lit, you'd probably need a degree similar to English Lit - like Language/Linguistics, Creative Writing, Drama/Acting, Film/Media etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (49)
31.41%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.18%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.15%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.97%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
26.28%

Watched Threads