The Student Room Group

Is Maths enough for an economics degree or do I need to do further maths aswell?

For A-levels btw
Original post by OkThanksBye
For A-levels btw

Where do you want to do your degree? Check on uni websites for the course requirements.
Original post by Muttley79
Where do you want to do your degree? Check on uni websites for the course requirements.

Oxfords website says only the grades and LSE says maths but further would be desirable. I just wanna find out from current students to really see if I would struggle without further maths.
Btw my grade would be atleast an A probably an A*
LSE is very confusing as it says further maths as a 4th. Does that imply you have to do 4 a levels to stand a chance?
Oxfords website says only the grades and LSE says maths but further would be desirable. I just wanna find out from current students to really see if I would struggle without further maths.

Several of my friends did Economics - if the website says 'desirable' they are looking for it. What other A levels are you doing?
Several of my friends did Economics - if the website says 'desirable' they are looking for it. What other A levels are you doing?

I'm doing economics, maths, english double and physics
Further Maths as a fourth doesn't mean you have to do four. It means they don't count it as an additional A Level. As in, if you only do three and one of them is Further, it would be considered as if you had only done two A Levels. If you take Further Maths do it as a 4th A Level, or do the As.I didn't do Further Maths. I didn't even do Maths past As. Got a first from a Russel Group university, doing a Master in Economics at the University of Mannheim in Germany.However, I had to self study a lot of mathematics alongside my degrees. If you don't have the patience or motivation to do so, may as well do it at A Level and get it out of the way. You'll have to learn the stuff eventually, particularly for Post Grad. Although that is module dependent. If you're doing Mechanics then that isn't going to be of much use. Stats or Decision are a different matter entirely.
I'm doing economics, maths, english double and physics

What does English double mean?You don't have to take Economics itself btw.

Why Physics?
Original post by Zara~Barnes
Further Maths as a fourth doesn't mean you have to do four. It means they don't count it as an additional A Level. As in, if you only do three and one of them is Further, it would be considered as if you had only done two A Levels. .

What? Maths has to be taken if you are doing Further Maths - it is two A levels.
What? Maths has to be taken if you are doing Further Maths - it is two A levels.

Look at Mr State the Obvious here. Everyone is well aware that you take both. Doesn't mean that Universities consider it that way. If you take three and one of them is Further Maths, i.e. Maths, FM and Physics, the FM will rarely be considered to be sufficient as a third A Level.
What does English double mean?You don't have to take Economics itself btw.

Why Physics?

English double is english lit and lang together and physics because it was my strongest scoring subject and with my maths it could support something to do with engineering in the future as a back-up plan.
For A-levels btw

you certainly wont struggle without further maths. it's more of a case of doing further maths to enhance your application and making sure you actually are good enough at maths to do well in an economics degree. a lot of 2nd years really stumble on the maths element
No you don't need further maths.

First year econ maths is basically... small parts of AS FM, some A Level differentiation and integration, assumed regular a level c3 knowledge, some s1,s2 very useful but a lot of new content statistics and pure maths wise.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
you certainly wont struggle without further maths. it's more of a case of doing further maths to enhance your application and making sure you actually are good enough at maths to do well in an economics degree. a lot of 2nd years really stumble on the maths element

The second years that struggle; are they people who got As and A*s in their A-levels or lower?
Look at Mr State the Obvious here. Everyone is well aware that you take both. Doesn't mean that Universities consider it that way. If you take three and one of them is Further Maths, i.e. Maths, FM and Physics, the FM will rarely be considered to be sufficient as a third A Level.

What a load of nonsense. The only time this might be the case is for some medicine courses.
The second years that struggle; are they people who got As and A*s in their A-levels or lower?

when i say struggle i dont mean drop-out struggle, i mean more like manic stress and normally getting a 2:1 in the end but only just and all the stress that goes with that. further maths will prove your worth more than an A* in maths...AS level Further Maths is actually really easy. but there's something to be said about an A* in maths being flukey, but then doing well in both maths and further maths shows its not a fluke. apologies if that doesnt make sense
Original post by CollectiveSoul
when i say struggle i dont mean drop-out struggle, i mean more like manic stress and normally getting a 2:1 in the end but only just and all the stress that goes with that. further maths will prove your worth more than an A* in maths...AS level Further Maths is actually really easy. but there's something to be said about an A* in maths being flukey, but then doing well in both maths and further maths shows its not a fluke. apologies if that doesnt make sense

No I get exactly what you mean. Do you think doing the AS further in my second year would be a good idea. And regarding the stress, I cope very well, my work rate is very good compared to the average person (not to be big headed).
No I get exactly what you mean. Do you think doing the AS further in my second year would be a good idea. And regarding the stress, I cope very well, my work rate is very good compared to the average person (not to be big headed).

you mean doing AS further in your second year of sixth form?! no that would be silly. hope it all goes well!

Most unis count it as two for every degree except medicine... your post was very unclear. Btw, I'm female :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending