Transferring Courses From Biology to Physiotherapy Watch

Anomalous.1.1.1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have finshed the first year of a Biology degree at a russel group university. Have enjoyed parts of the course, eppecially human biology. I chose Biology at uni because i really enjoyed it at A-Level. However, during the year I have really not been enjoying the lab work, and found it hard to motivate to study because most of the graduate jobs seem to be in research and I dont like lab work (not social enough workplace and find it boring), so if i finish biology degree i would most likely use for general graduate employment (management or marketing etc.), or graduate entry medicine (but dont really want to commit to this because of the number of years in university needed).
However, though clearing I have applied and been offerd a place on a Physiotherapy Degree at a different univeristy. I am trying to decide if this would definately suit me better, as only get one extra year of student finance so has to be 100% the right choice. I am thinking that Physiotherapy would allow me to study human biology, but it would be a vocatoinal degree, so leading to a specific job as a physiotherapist, so i think that i would suits me better and be easier to study, as i know what i am learning will be directly used in my job.
Does anybody know if I could then, for example after working as a physio for a few years, would i be in a good position to then study gradaute entry medicine or physician assocaite studies??
Also, can a good degree classificatoin in physiotherapy be used to access marketing /management / other non clinical jobs, if a number of years down the line i decided to take this route?
If i took up the Physiotherapy place, i would be moving from a russel group univeristy to a non-russel group univeristy, which is significatly lower on the league tables . should i be worried about this? does it really matter for not attending a russel group? I have read a lot and my teacher told me a lot to aim for russel group..... does it really matter?
Any adivce apprecaited.
Thanks.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anomalous.1.1.1)
I have finshed the first year of a Biology degree at a russel group university. Have enjoyed parts of the course, eppecially human biology. I chose Biology at uni because i really enjoyed it at A-Level. However, during the year I have really not been enjoying the lab work, and found it hard to motivate to study because most of the graduate jobs seem to be in research and I dont like lab work (not social enough workplace and find it boring), so if i finish biology degree i would most likely use for general graduate employment (management or marketing etc.), or graduate entry medicine (but dont really want to commit to this because of the number of years in university needed).
However, though clearing I have applied and been offerd a place on a Physiotherapy Degree at a different univeristy. I am trying to decide if this would definately suit me better, as only get one extra year of student finance so has to be 100% the right choice. I am thinking that Physiotherapy would allow me to study human biology, but it would be a vocatoinal degree, so leading to a specific job as a physiotherapist, so i think that i would suits me better and be easier to study, as i know what i am learning will be directly used in my job.
Does anybody know if I could then, for example after working as a physio for a few years, would i be in a good position to then study gradaute entry medicine or physician assocaite studies??
Also, can a good degree classificatoin in physiotherapy be used to access marketing /management / other non clinical jobs, if a number of years down the line i decided to take this route?
If i took up the Physiotherapy place, i would be moving from a russel group univeristy to a non-russel group univeristy, which is significatly lower on the league tables . should i be worried about this? does it really matter for not attending a russel group? I have read a lot and my teacher told me a lot to aim for russel group..... does it really matter?
Any adivce apprecaited.
Thanks.
Firstly, you may be able to apply for GEM but many GEM degrees may want your degree to be slightly more biology based, could be a similar situation of PA. If you have a degree that can open doors if you don't need a specific one for that area and that could include marketing. I m not sure why your teacher is pushing RG's so much but it won't matter for a healthcare career as if you get your registration thats all that matters.
Anomalous.1.1.1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
Firstly, you may be able to apply for GEM but many GEM degrees may want your degree to be slightly more biology based, could be a similar situation of PA. If you have a degree that can open doors if you don't need a specific one for that area and that could include marketing. I m not sure why your teacher is pushing RG's so much but it won't matter for a healthcare career as if you get your registration thats all that matters.
Thanks for your help. My concern is that if i dont go for jobs as a physiotherapist, the regestration wont matter like a management job or something. but i will have gone to a less prestigous univeristy.
If i was to do a masters in say public health at a russel group uni, would this solve to problem. My highest level of education would then have been from a russel group uni? Or would employers always look at the undergraduate degree.
Anomalous.1.1.1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Also, I guess that by leaving Biology I am completely closing the door on research careers in a lab. Most masters courses for Biology do not look like they would accept Physiotherapy students.
If I did a PHd would this have to be in something directly related to Physiotheraoy - like pain management etc. Or would I be able to do it in something more Biology based, such as a the treatment of MS?
Is a PHD needed to be a Physiotherapy lecturer in a university?
Many thanks, any advice apprecated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%