The Student Room Group

Trump blocks bill to increase election security

The Trump White House has blocked a bill that would increase the capacity of US state election authorities to increase the security and protective measures for US voting systems, build up resilience against cyber attacks and incentivise the purchase of electronic voting machines that create a paper audit trail (i.e. if it has been hacked, they can go back to the printout to check the vote totals match what the computer has told them)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house-blocks-bill-protect-elections-173459278.html?guccounter=1

This bill has been sponsored by Republicans and Democrats, from all wings of both parties, and given the US Head of Homeland Security recently said that they are receiving very concerning warnings that the Russians will attempt to interfere in the midterm elections, it seems like a no-brainer.

But it makes sense that a criminal president who is hoping that the Russians would intervene to support him in the November 2018 midterm elections would move to block this bill.

Everything Trump does related to Russia, hacking and election security just makes him look more and more guilty.
Reply 1
Original post by Rabbit2
First off, with the way the economy is going, i can't imagine that anyone would need help in defeating Biden. Second, we interfere in the Russian elections, why shouldn't they do the same here??? Without reading the bill in detail [which i'm assuming you haven't], it's impossible to determine whether there are 'offsetting' issues that would make election security LESS secure. Your assertions to the contrary are not sufficient for me, (and i suspect numerous other readers). Often a bill is touted as providing features which it clearly (once you read it in detail, or know more about the issues), it clearly does NOT. This is a standard tactic on "the hill" - and manages to take in many people. I'll reserve judgement until i read the bill. Cheers.

You did read when this thread was posted didnt you...?

Latest

Trending

Trending