Is it worth starting to learn A level maths yet? Watch

username4167452
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Sixth form starts in about a week and I'd like more things to do at the latter stages of the holidays. I'm already going gym for an hour and a half for 4 days a week, as well as going to the football with mates. I'm considering spending 2-3 hours a day learning Maths A-level (mainly because I enjoy a challenge). Would you recommend this? If Yes/No, then why?
Foreverton
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn’t recommend this. You’ll have plenty of time to work over the next two years and not much time to relax so make the most of it
Y12_FurtherMaths
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I started as soon as I finished my GCSEs but stopped after a few weeks. It’s not too late to start, you can go through a few topics so when your teacher does them in class they will seem more familiar
vessa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Unless you're doing further maths) I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe familiarise yourself a little with the stuff that used to be Core 1 and Core 2 of whatever exam you're doing.

This is usually just basic algebra and calculus for solving polynomial (qudratics, cubic and quartic) equations. Depending on your GCSE exam board, you might have already done a little of this.
Bogotá
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Learn how to intergrate and differentiate, it’s important and easy
username4167452
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by vessa)
(Unless you're doing further maths) I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe familiarise yourself a little with the stuff that used to be Core 1 and Core 2 of whatever exam you're doing.

This is usually just basic algebra and calculus for solving polynomial (qudratics, cubic and quartic) equations. Depending on your GCSE exam board, you might have already done a little of this.
I am taking further maths hence I'm considering starting early. Will learn the start of pure year 1 (which is like c1/c2)
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shalommmmmmmm)
Sixth form starts in about a week and I'd like more things to do at the latter stages of the holidays. I'm already going gym for an hour and a half for 4 days a week, as well as going to the football with mates. I'm considering spending 2-3 hours a day learning Maths A-level (mainly because I enjoy a challenge). Would you recommend this? If Yes/No, then why?
If you enjoy it, then absolutely! No harm in getting a head start.
vessa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shalommmmmmmm)
I am taking further maths hence I'm considering starting early. Will learn the start of pure year 1 (which is like c1/c2)
I'm not sure how your school will do it, but at mine they essentially assumed everyone doing further maths already knew C1/C2 stuff and moved on. It turned out that I was one of only three people who came from a school that didn't do Additional Maths GCSE so the first few weeks were especially harsh on me, but once I caught up, I haven't had any problems since.
alevelphysicist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I really wouldn’t say it’s worthwhile. Maybe learn the basics of differentiation and integration, but I don’t think trying to get ahead with a levels before starting is as useful as people think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?