UlmosSea
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I need to know what a corresponding point means or is, in terms of:
Suppose the point P(2,3) is on the function f(x). Find the point that corresponds to P on each function; show or explain how you figured this out.
(a) f (x + 4)
(b) f (x) + 3
(c) -2 f (x)
(d) 1/2 f (x - 5) + 1
mqb2766
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UlmosSea)
Suppose the point P(2,3) is on the function f(x). Find the point that corresponds to P on each function; show or explain how you figured this out.
(a) f (x + 4)
(b) f (x) + 3
(c) -2 f (x)
(d) 1/2 f (x - 5) + 1
These type of function transformations are clearly explained in
https://www.mathsisfun.com/sets/func...ormations.html
and many other places.

Why not have a go at some of the questions, even if you get them wrong. You'll probably get more advice if you show that you've tried and you'll probably learn more as well.
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(a) f (x + 4)
(b) f (x) + 3
(c) -2 f (x)
(d) 1/2 f (x - 5) + 1
The question is really badly phrased and I think would have been clearer if graphs, rather than functions, had been talked about.

The graph y=f(x+4) is a translation by 4 left of the graph of y=f(x). The point (2,3) is on the graph of y=f(x) and, to answer (a), you need to say what it would be translated to on the graph of y=f(x+4).
UlmosSea
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by RichE)
The question is really badly phrased and I think would have been clearer if graphs, rather than functions, had been talked about.

The graph y=f(x+4) is a translation by 4 left of the graph of y=f(x). The point (2,3) is on the graph of y=f(x) and, to answer (a), you need to say what it would be translated to on the graph of y=f(x+4).
i also agree, i mainly don't understand because of the way it's worded. I've been thinking it might be related to the grapgh (like how you explained the shifting) but i'm not sure what a corresponding point means, so i don't really know if what i'm doing is right. But thank you
mqb2766
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i also agree, i mainly don't understand because of the way it's worded. I've been thinking it might be related to the grapgh (like how you explained the shifting) but i'm not sure what a corresponding point means, so i don't really know if what i'm doing is right. But thank you
Just assume f(x) is a quadratic which passes through P and sketch what happens for each of the 4 transformations? It could be anything, you just want to make sure you can picture it.

For c) what is the transformation
-2*f(x)
how would it apply to the quadratic and hence the corresponding P.?
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Each of the given examples are transformations of the graph y=f(x). On the original graph is the point (2,3), so all you have to do for each part is say where the point (2,3) has been moved to (on the new graph) by the given transformation. What do you think the answer is to (a), given the transformation is "translate 4 to the left"?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads