The Student Room Group

A-Level Maths/Computer Science/Biology

If any of you take any of these could you give me a brief on the courses//how easy you find them compared to others//your personal experience. Im thinking of doing these three.
Reply 1
I took maths, got an A at GCSE and an A at A level (2 weeks ago) however bare in mind I took the old spec which was easier, many of my friends who failed the old spec and found the new maths AS quite difficult, theres more focus on proof and you are taught university level concepts now at a level, but tbh, if you practice all the questions you can find and put ur head down its very easy to get an A but it requires a lot of discipline
not much has changed in terms of what is actually taught but in general you study:
algebra, trig, calculus- used to find gradients and areas of curves, coordinate geometry, vectors, sequences and series.
the first year is really an extension of higher tier gcse maths so its easy to settle in (maths was my easiest subject at AS)
but the second year the jump is huge and maths became my hardest subject.
the statistics you study is really an extension of gcse stats with more on correlation and regression and probability distriubutions such as the normal and binomial (quite easy)
mechanics applies the algebra and calculus you learn in core maths, its pretty much a mathematical version of mechanics in GCSE physics- its usually seen as harder than stats and core due to its visual concepts

Biology I heard its very easy if you can memorise about 700 pages of detailed content accurately and know ur definitions word for word off by heart, the experiments are quite difficult some say.
computer science i hear really depends on ypur aptitude for computing and programming, you either get it or you dont
Reply 2
Advice I was given for Computer science is if you learn some Object Oriented Programming in Java before hand everything else becomes fine.

Quick Reply

Latest