Supernovas
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, my name is Kaliyah. I currently study A Level English Literature, A Level Government and Politics and CTEC Business (there was no space in the other classes I wanted to do and my school didn't tell me about the stigma against non-A Level subjects.

My business teacher told me that Oxbridge wouldn't accept any non-A Level students and in regards to Cambridge, they explicitly that BTEC students won't be accepted. However, on the Oxford website it said that:

"BTEC Nationals include qualifications equivalent to A-levels, so students studying these qualifications would be welcome to apply. A D grade (distinction) in a BTEC National would be considered equivalent to an A at A-level, and a D* in a BTEC National would be considered equivalent to an A* at A-level."

CTEC is a mix of A Level and BTEC, it's just awarded by OCR. I want to study Law and I'm being predicted between D*AA and D*A*A*. Do you think it's worth contacting Oxford and seeing if they'd consider my application despite taking one CTEC.
G97D
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know for sure oxford accepts students who apply with BTEC but also a levels. You do meet their criteria - if an applicant is doing one single award BTEC then they must have two A Levels also. Likewise with a double and triple award BTEC they should have AT LEAST one A level in both awards. Check their website it says it all. But rest assured you 100% can apply to Oxford with a btec. Call them up anyway but it’s Cambridge that doesn’t accept btec to my knowledge. Good luck
HT2412
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by K.bower)
Hi, my name is Kaliyah. I currently study A Level English Literature, A Level Government and Politics and CTEC Business (there was no space in the other classes I wanted to do and my school didn't tell me about the stigma against non-A Level subjects.

My business teacher told me that Oxbridge wouldn't accept any non-A Level students and in regards to Cambridge, they explicitly that BTEC students won't be accepted. However, on the Oxford website it said that:

"BTEC Nationals include qualifications equivalent to A-levels, so students studying these qualifications would be welcome to apply. A D grade (distinction) in a BTEC National would be considered equivalent to an A at A-level, and a D* in a BTEC National would be considered equivalent to an A* at A-level."

CTEC is a mix of A Level and BTEC, it's just awarded by OCR. I want to study Law and I'm being predicted between D*AA and D*A*A*. Do you think it's worth contacting Oxford and seeing if they'd consider my application despite taking one CTEC.
Just drop their admissions office a quick email and see what they say. They're used to dealing with such enquiries so will be able to give you a definite answer. Email address for undergraduate admissions queries is:
[email protected]
Bogotá
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Doubt it tbh
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HT2412)
Just drop their admissions office a quick email and see what they say. They're used to dealing with such enquiries so will be able to give you a definite answer. Email address for undergraduate admissions queries is:
[email protected]
We don't know the answer to the question posed and endorse the suggestion of seeking advice directly.
Supernovas
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I forgot to give an update, I emailed Oxford admissions and they told me I could apply. My GCSES aren't great.

I failed 4 of them due to missing one final paper because of a seizure and finished with a D. I also had my GCSE changed in year 11 by the school to art and design. Despite the begging and pleading I did as I'm a more academic person and art wasn't something I do well in, they kept me in art. My teacher would assist other students and not me, plus she held intervention sessions and wouldn't tell me about it and I finished with an F. The other two were D's and my fault.

Other than that I got 9 in English lit, 7 in English Language, 4 in maths, B in Geography, B in RE, C in french, distinction Star in ECDL and C in statistics. I know its low by Oxford standards (and general RG standards) but I'm hoping that my predicted grades which are between D*AA and D*A*A* and my LNAT score (if it is 25+) would get me an interview at least.

I don't expect to be given an offer because my GCSE spread isn't that good, law is really competitive and I do a CTEC, but I will never know unless I try. At this point, I'm prepared for the rejection but I still will be applying to Lincoln College at Oxford.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (36)
15.38%
I'm not sure (8)
3.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (88)
37.61%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.71%
I'm not a current university student (98)
41.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed