The Student Room Group

does foundation tier in hcse mean i waont go into A level and unis

please help I'm scared.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by taranmistry
please help I'm scared.

What does hcse mean please describe the qualification by its full name or link it.
Which year is this for and what level is the qualification?
Is it the only subject you are studying or just one of several?
Original post by 999tigger
What does hcse mean please describe the qualification by its full name or link it.
Which year is this for and what level is the qualification?
Is it the only subject you are studying or just one of several?

I meant to say GCSE but it automatically changed and I'm also going into year 11
and I'm also doing foundation in maths and science sorry forgot to explain that💯😶
I meant to say GCSE but it automatically changed and I'm also going into year 11

Sorry for not spotting it.
The situation is if you are put on foundation level then they are worried you cant cope with higher level and are more concerned you pass the subject.
It is likely you will be prevented doing A levels in those subjects if you only do foundation as you cant get the usual grade B or higher most schools demand.
That said if you dont even pass then you may not be allowed into sixth form or university at all , so its in your best interests to pass.

If you just get C and C in English and Maths then they may still let you do A level subjects in other GCSE subjects where you got a grade B or higher.
You may also be offered BTEC.
You can get to uni with either of the above. You may have had no intention of doing English or Maths at A level anyway.

If you want change, then the best advice is to work hard, get good grades and then ask to be moved to the higher tier. They will be willing to do this if you show you have the potential to cope with higher GCSE.

Which A levels, degree or career did you have your eye on?
Reply 5
Probably won’t be able to do it. Work hard and get to higher tier
Reply 6
Ummm... Just do higher. A-level is for people who gets grades above As and sometimes Bs.

I am going to year 11 and i am revising so hard to do higher for every subject. As i said, you have another year so revise so much to do higher because foundation isnt going to help you enough.
I did foundation maths and got a C in it. I have now just finished my a levels and I am going to uni in September. As long as you pass you should be fine
The situation is if you are put on foundation level then they are worried you cant cope with higher level and are more concerned you pass the subject.
It is likely you will be prevented doing A levels in those subjects if you only do foundation as you cant get the usual grade B or higher most schools demand.
That said if you dont even pass then you may not be allowed into sixth form or university at all , so its in your best interests to pass.

If you just get C and C in English and Maths then they may still let you do A level subjects in other GCSE subjects where you got a grade B or higher.
You can get to uni with either of the above. You may have had no intention of doing English or Maths at A level anyway.

If you want change, then the best advice is to work hard, get good grades and then ask to be moved to the higher tier. They will be willing to do this if you show you have the potential to cope with higher GCSE.

I want to be a product designer the other two are maybe business and maybe English

another thing is the college what I might get into accepts grade 5s
If you do foundation at GCSE and pass, then you’re fine. As long as you don’t want to take that subject at GCSE you’re fine. Aim for at least a 6 in the subjects (or linked subjects) you want to study later on.
Original post by Derbyshire227
I did foundation maths and got a C in it. I have now just finished my a levels and I am going to uni in September. As long as you pass you should be fine

ok thx that helped me slot have you got any tips for revising I'm now going into year 11 it would be great
Original post by Conniestitution
If you do foundation at GCSE and pass, then you’re fine. As long as you don’t want to take that subject at GCSE you’re fine. Aim for at least a 6 in the subjects (or linked subjects) you want to study later on.

thx but why should I not take the subject that I'm doing foundation in?
I want to be a product designer the other two are maybe business and maybe English

I had a look and you can still get into all those courses with high enough relevant BTEC, which is mostly coursework.
The issue isnt what qualifications you do, but whether you can get your studies in order so you can achieve high grades.
Do that and everything else will follow.

Ignore the naysayers because you certainly can go on to uni.
Whether you can do A level depends on grades. It is standard to limit it to people who have B or higher.
(edited 5 years ago)
ok thx that helped me slot have you got any tips for revising I'm now going into year 11 it would be great

Honestly, I found that doing flash cards worked best for me but everybody’s different, you should try figuring out which revisions tactic works best for you
thx but why should I not take the subject that I'm doing foundation in?

Because if you can’t achieve higher than a C/5 at GCSE, you would really struggle with the A Level in that subject.
Original post by gcse2k19
Ummm... Just do higher. A-level is for people who gets grades above As and sometimes Bs.

I am going to year 11 and i am revising so hard to do higher for every subject. As i said, you have another year so revise so much to do higher because foundation isnt going to help you enough.

I'm going into year 11 to but when it comes to the end of year 11 can you choose whether you are doing foundation or higher paper
another thing is the college what I might get into accepts grade 5s

By accept you mean requires?

In general or for Maths and English or just the A levels you want to be doing?
If you cannot meet their required grades then they may not accept you.
Original post by Derbyshire227
Honestly, I found that doing flash cards worked best for me but everybody’s different, you should try figuring out which revisions tactic works best for you

ik I just wanna try different ways thx tho
I'm going into year 11 to but when it comes to the end of year 11 can you choose whether you are doing foundation or higher paper

He is just confusing you. You can ask to do higher, but they wont move you there unless they believe it is suitable i,e you can pass. improve your grades, then ask

Quick Reply

Latest