The Student Room Group

Retaking gcses after year 11, and medical schools

I know that medicine is a very competitive course and that you need very high grades in order to be accepted. So i was wondering as my gcses are not that great (mostly 5s and 6s and two 7s and one 8) would medical schools mind gcse resits, in year 12. Is it a good idea for me to resit most?
Im in year 12 in september starting A levels .
I am prepared to work hard, however would medical schools mind retakes and will they look at them?
Original post by bigpandax
I know that medicine is a very competitive course and that you need very high grades in order to be accepted. So i was wondering as my gcses are not that great (mostly 5s and 6s and two 7s and one 8) would medical schools mind gcse resits, in year 12. Is it a good idea for me to resit most?
Im in year 12 in september starting A levels .
I am prepared to work hard, however would medical schools mind retakes and will they look at them?

Each medical school has its own and often very detailed policy. You should always read and understand them for the school concerned. Some place more emphasis on GCSE than others.

My general advice is avoid the one where your GCSE profile would be considered weak and look for the ones where you easily meet the criteria.

As for resits, then you need to look at the policy.

DO NOT confuse GCSE resit policy with A Level resit policy as they are not the same.
In many instances they do not have a GCSE resit policy and are silent.
If you want to know for sure and it is silent then ask the uni, but it is likely they wont care much whether its a resit or not.

They do care about A levels and resits, so ask yourself when doing the research as to whether diverting learning resources away from GCE to GCSE is worth it? Do everything you can to get the right A level grades at first attempt.

Quick Reply

Latest