The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grades good enough for oxbridge?

Russian - A*
History - A*
English Language - 8
English Literature - 8
Maths - 7
Food Tech - 7
RS - 7
Dual Award Science - AA
French - B (getting remarked or retaking for A)

Russian A level - A*
(Took it early)

I know these aren't all A* grades but they will be all A's/A* when I retake my French.

I am not specifically aiming to go to Oxbridge but I am to that level of university. Do i have a chance considering I have already got one A* at A-level?
Definitely go for it

those grades are stellar and you have 4 A* and 6 As equivalent at GCSE.

and an A* at A Level is phenemonal, well done!
Is Russian your native language? I'm just asking as you took it early. If so, it won't normally could for university admissions. Oxford/Cambridge also will only look at A-levels taken in one sitting normally.

However, your GCSEs look great for applying to top unis.
Reply 3
Russian is my second language. My teachers told me that the only way it won't count is if I am taking it 4 years early. The syllabus is changing next year so I wanted to get it out of the way. However, I could be mistaken. and Thank you

Original post by SarcAndSpark
Is Russian your native language? I'm just asking as you took it early. If so, it won't normally could for university admissions. Oxford/Cambridge also will only look at A-levels taken in one sitting normally.

However, your GCSEs look great for applying to top unis.
Reply 4
Thank you, I will keep this in mind. I know that A-levels are much more important than GCSE's when apllying to university.
Reply 5
Original post by ohdearstudying
Definitely go for it

those grades are stellar and you have 4 A* and 6 As equivalent at GCSE.

and an A* at A Level is phenemonal, well done!

Thank you so much. Your comment is very uplifiting.
Original post by katyaslater
Russian is my second language. My teachers told me that the only way it won't count is if I am taking it 4 years early. The syllabus is changing next year so I wanted to get it out of the way. However, I could be mistaken. and Thank you

For Oxford/Cambridge specifically, they usually want to see everything taken in one sitting. Taking it early won't count against you, but you won't usually be able to use it to meet your offer.

However, for other unis, it may still count, and of course it adds to your overall academic profile.

I do think you should get your referee to explain it's not your first/native language, as unis may assume it is, otherwise!
Reply 7
Original post by SarcAndSpark
For Oxford/Cambridge specifically, they usually want to see everything taken in one sitting. Taking it early won't count against you, but you won't usually be able to use it to meet your offer.

However, for other unis, it may still count, and of course it adds to your overall academic profile.

I do think you should get your referee to explain it's not your first/native language, as unis may assume it is, otherwise!

OK will keep this in mind. Thank you very much.
Reply 8
I got 5A*s, 5As and 2Bs. Will this be enough??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending