The Student Room Group

Is it worth going to university for me?

Hello, I would like to explain what situation that I'm currently in and I'm interested in what sort of advice I get.
So at the start of my gap year I got a job in a quarry working on machinery, I've got my CITB, CPCS for ADT machinery and also my quarry passport meaning that I'm fully qualified at 18, I am currently 19. I'm on £32,000 after tax working 50 hours per week with no debt and I still live with my parents. I've been noticed as an operator by my boss and Finnings UK. I am testing the new 730 prototype for Caterpillar. And last week I've been offered a job for £800 per week after tax but I'd be working almost 60 hours per week with time and time and a half over time rate meaning that I'd be making 41,000 per year, I'm wondering is this worth it? is a position like this good enough to settle on? I am set to start studying Civil engineering soon but is there any advice any one else could possibly give me? My family wants me to go university but everyone at work is telling me that at my age I should take that job offer. I am very uncertain on what to do next and would really appreciate any external input.
Thank you.
Original post by Operator775
Hello, I would like to explain what situation that I'm currently in and I'm interested in what sort of advice I get.
So at the start of my gap year I got a job in a quarry working on machinery, I've got my CITB, CPCS for ADT machinery and also my quarry passport meaning that I'm fully qualified at 18, I am currently 19. I'm on £32,000 after tax working 50 hours per week with no debt and I still live with my parents. I've been noticed as an operator by my boss and Finnings UK. I am testing the new 730 prototype for Caterpillar. And last week I've been offered a job for £800 per week after tax but I'd be working almost 60 hours per week with time and time and a half over time rate meaning that I'd be making 41,000 per year, I'm wondering is this worth it? is a position like this good enough to settle on? I am set to start studying Civil engineering soon but is there any advice any one else could possibly give me? My family wants me to go university but everyone at work is telling me that at my age I should take that job offer. I am very uncertain on what to do next and would really appreciate any external input.
Thank you.

Do you have the A levels and grades for Uni?

I think you could do it for a few years and save plus get experience. It would also give you time to think and maybe look around for a civil engineer apprenticeship.

Alternatively you would be drowning in cash and could afford anything at uni. 60 hours a week is long hours though, so its more like £500 a week after tax . Dont let them blind you with the numbers.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Do you have the A levels and grades for Uni?

I think you could do it for a few years and save plus get experience. It would also give you time to think and maybe look around for a civil engineer apprenticeship.

Alternatively you would be drowning in cash and could afford anything at uni. 60 hours a week is long hours though, so its more like £500 a week after tax . Dont let them blind you with the numbers.

Hi thank you for your reply, yes I've got the grades to go to uni, I'm actually starting a degree in civil engineering this September. And with the numbers I do find it believable as I am currently on just short of 600 a week after tax and other deductions such as my national insurance.
I actually do value your input very much but I have just spoken with my current employer and we've worked around my schedule at university and I'll be able to work whilst at uni so I guess that is my best choice as of now as I kind of want to experience student life. And I guess if I don't like uni I have the choice of going full time.
Thank you.
Hi thank you for your reply, yes I've got the grades to go to uni, I'm actually starting a degree in civil engineering this September. And with the numbers I do find it believable as I am currently on just short of 600 a week after tax and other deductions such as my national insurance.
I actually do value your input very much but I have just spoken with my current employer and we've worked around my schedule at university and I'll be able to work whilst at uni so I guess that is my best choice as of now as I kind of want to experience student life. And I guess if I don't like uni I have the choice of going full time.
Thank you.

I never mentioned believable. I meant it comes as an extra cost so compare like with like.

You are going to do those hours and the degree at the same time? Good luck with that.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
I never mentioned believable. I meant it comes as an extra cost so compare like with like.

You are going to do those hours and the degree at the same time? Good luck with that.

Ok I understand, and no I'm off from uni on wed-thursday till December where I'm only going to be in uni for two days of the week. So I'm going to be doing 20 hours a week at the quarry. Surely its not too much?
Thank you.

do you want to be doing machine operating for the foreseeable future or at best, overseeing machine operators?

or do you want to be intellectually challenged and gain the higher order skills that will lend themselves to a long, well developed career?

there's definitely a case to be had if taking 1-2 gap years, banking some cash and being very comfortable whilst at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you.

Have you spoken with your current employer about whether they would be willing to support you through university, or what your career trajectory would be like with them? You might manage to both continue with your current employer, earning money and gaining experience, whilst also going through university via some sort of part-time route.

Also, are you more interested in civil engineering, i.e. buildings, roads, bridges etc. than your current role, which I presume is machinery based?
I definitely think you should go to uni. Like you said, you can work 20 hours a week and still get your degree, experience student life and make lifelong friends. You'll have a degree to rely on for a more broad career path, while gaining valuable work experience (and pay). You're literally in a win-win situation, so stick with it.

And if uni and work gets to hard, I'm sure your managers would be able to work something out during exam periods to ease the pressure.

Best of luck!
Really don't appreciate this comment 'at best, overseeing machine operators'. The construction and quarrying/mining industry is a varied, interesting and fulfilling path if that is where your interests lie with a wide-range of options to those that work there!

I fell into this industry: I can vouch that as surprising as it is you can have a long, well-developed career either in operations in these businesses or in management. Every day I can say I am intellectually challenged - my whole job is problem solving. I am about to finish my degree specific to the industry and I am surrounded by supportive, interesting and successful people. The quarrying industry is one of the fastest-developing and most dynamic areas to work in.

Yes, it really helps to have an interest in what job you do but I don't think we should be putting down jobs we know limited information about.

From
Someone who oversees machine operators.

Quick Reply

Latest