The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grades good enough for medicine?

I’m just about to begin Year 12 and for my A-Levels I’m hoping to do Maths, Biology, Chemistry and either German or Politics (depends on how the timetables turn out). My dream is to study medicine and I received my GCSE results on Thursday. Regardless of the other factors such as work experience, are my GCSE results good enough to study at a university like Queen’s Belfast, Imperial or Kings? I am worrying because my careers teacher said we can only study medicine with 9 A*

My results: (equivalent 7 A* and 3 A)
German: 9
Maths: A*
Further Maths: A*
English Language: A*
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
Latin: 7
RE: A
English Literature: A
Flip why are you even asking like.
jeezz... most med schools dont look at gcses. Your teacher was wrong. those are great gcses and you can apply to almos lt every medical school if u do good in ukcat or bmat and alevels.
Original post by NerdyNiamh
I’m just about to begin Year 12 and for my A-Levels I’m hoping to do Maths, Biology, Chemistry and either German or Politics (depends on how the timetables turn out). My dream is to study medicine and I received my GCSE results on Thursday. Regardless of the other factors such as work experience, are my GCSE results good enough to study at a university like Queen’s Belfast, Imperial or Kings? I am worrying because my careers teacher said we can only study medicine with 9 A*

Yes

I wouldn't get too fixated on what uni you study medicine at. All UK Medical degrees are accredited by the GMC and are very well respected
Queen’s only look at gcse grades if they’re deciding between applicants with the same qualifications at As level and are unsure of who to pick. But I don’t think you really need to worry with grades like that
Reply 5
Original post by NerdyNiamh

Just as one example for Queen's Belfast. The cut off for interview last year was 34 points. You score 34 points just on your GCSE grades, even without UKCAT.

GCSE scoring on 9 subjects, with 4 points for A* (8/9) and 3 points for A (or 7 grade), no points awarded for lower grades. UKCAT attracts between 0-6 points, according to banding eg: 600 = 3 points; 650 = 4 points

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending