The Student Room Group

6th Form Dilemma

After getting all 9s and A*s for GCSEs I have been accepted at the Henrietta Barnett School which is advertised as being one of the best in the country. However, if I go there I would have to travel more than 2 hours total everyday by public transport which is very draining. I also applied to a nearby school which has similarly outstanding results but does not have the reputation that Henrietta Barnett has. Both have high amounts of Oxbridge offers even though its not that relevant to me because i want to study abroad. Im not 100% certain what A levels i want to do yet but it will probably be something science focused and both schools have really good science departments. Does anyone have any advice about which one they recommend I go to or anyone who has been in a similar situation.
If they offer similar results, I would suggest going to your local school. Two hours a day is a long time to spend every day travelling to and from school; that's 10 hours a week. It's less stress and although Henrietta Barnett School may be a higher prestige, chances are the school you are considering going to closer to where you live is of a good rating (I assume).

I believe that UCAS only know whether you went to a state/private school, not the school you actually go to (someone please correct me if this is wrong!). Remember employers only care what grades you get, not where you go to.
Well done for your grades. To address your point I would say choose the college next to you. My relatives go to Henrietta Barnet in year 7 so I know for a fact that it is one of the best schools in terms lf grades. However I myself travel a lot to go to my college which is around 3 hours travelling a day and it is not fun. It tires you out and at home you just feel kanckered. Besides if the college near your house has a good reputation it doesnt matter because at the end of the day you get support at both places and at alevels it is about independant study so choosing one over the other wont have a lot of benefits.
Go to the local school. Going to a school with a slightly better rep won't make a difference in your future and what uni you end up in and top unis such as oxbridge accept applicants from any background - as long as their application is good. Plus, if youre going to study abroad your school's rep probably wont even be considered
Original post by jennybear
If they offer similar results, I would suggest going to your local school. Two hours a day is a long time to spend every day travelling to and from school; that's 10 hours a week. It's less stress and although Henrietta Barnett School may be a higher prestige, chances are the school you are considering going to closer to where you live is of a good rating (I assume).

I believe that UCAS only know whether you went to a state/private school, not the school you actually go to (someone please correct me if this is wrong!). Remember employers only care what grades you get, not where you go to.

UCAS do know what college you go to. Thats how they know someone went to a stat lr private etc. Also emplyers actually do prefer people who went to good schools. Being an ex harrovian I knlw for a fact emplyers do actually care where people went to college. But since OP is going abroad it doesnt really matter that much
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
UCAS do know what college you go to. Thats how they know someone went to a stat lr private etc. Also emplyers actually do prefer people who went to good schools. Being an ex harrovian I knlw for a fact emplyers do actually care where people went to college. But since OP is going abroad it doesnt really matter that much

Ok - thanks for pointing that out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest