Catered vs Non-catered Watch

snipecaik
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I wanted to start a discussion on catering in student halls, personally the idea of catered accommodation is abhorrent; not only does it require me to spend extra money, but it means it will be spent on what are essentially school meals, which makes me feel very weary as I could barely stand having school meals once a day. In addition there is a lack of independence when going for the catered option, I feel like you'd be missing out on learning how to cook for yourself and learning how to budget, and there's also the issue of being forced to eat at certain times.
However, I'd like to hear what other people think, maybe I'm being unreasonable and harsh and it might be convenient to have someone else worry about preparing your food during student years.
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by snipecaik)
I wanted to start a discussion on catering in student halls, personally the idea of catered accommodation is abhorrent; not only does it require me to spend extra money, but it means it will be spent on what are essentially school meals, which makes me feel very weary as I could barely stand having school meals once a day. In addition there is a lack of independence when going for the catered option, I feel like you'd be missing out on learning how to cook for yourself and learning how to budget, and there's also the issue of being forced to eat at certain times.
However, I'd like to hear what other people think, maybe I'm being unreasonable and harsh and it might be convenient to have someone else worry about preparing your food during student years.
I think if the catered options are good value and for whatever reason someone is struggling to cook then it can work out well but most of the time cooking for yourself would be cheaper.
Nahaha
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I agree with you. Catered food seems like it would be less healthy than what I'd make for myself, less convenient, and far less interesting. I keep seeing people say that catered food gets repeated really often and leads them to buy takeaways just for some variation. It's also a matter of control - I'd much rather have control over what I eat every day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.97%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.13%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.48%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.75%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.5%

Watched Threads