Fayzan_Ali
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
do you think I should do a levels business , law and sociology and then proceed into AAT to become a chartered accountant OR do the same a levels and proceed to uni and do accounting and finance and become a chartered accountant through that OR do you think I should forget a levels and just procced with AAT

Thoughts and advice appreciated
Fayzan_Ali
Rep:
?
??
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fayzan_Ali)
do you think I should do a levels business , law and sociology and then proceed into AAT to become a chartered accountant OR do the same a levels and proceed to uni and do accounting and finance and become a chartered accountant through that OR do you think I should forget a levels and just procced with AAT

All are possible routes - although I would do A levels whatever - its much harder to get a training contract without high grades. Consider doing A level maths - this can help when applying for jobs.
Student1191
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

An accredited degree can get you exemptions
Fayzan_Ali
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
All are possible routes - although I would do A levels whatever - its much harder to get a training contract without high grades. Consider doing A level maths - this can help when applying for jobs.
So you reckon a levels will be good for me ? And I think maths will be too hard
Fayzan_Ali
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student1191)
What does that mean ?
marple
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

It really depends on your circumstances and how soon you want to leave education and start to work. Not having A levels would restrict your options somewhat. After A levels you have the option of going down the apprenticeship or graduate route.

This is aimed at employers, but it gives useful information on the various way of becoming a chartered accountant:

https://www.icaew.com/learning-and-d...ployers/routes
Student1191
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What does that mean ?
You won’t have to do as many AAT exams because they would know you covered the content in your degree
Stevo F
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

OP it depends on a couple of things:
A) Whether you can get a job you are happy with while doing the AAT apprenticeship.
B) How set you are on doing accountancy for the rest of your life...
If you absolutely know it's what you want to do for the foreseeable future then go straight into AAT.
If you're sure you want to go into accountancy but might want to do something else in the future then get your A-Levels first and that way you have good qualifications as backup to show to an employer in another industry.
If accountancy sounds good right now but you have no idea if you'll like it then consider going to Uni which will give you more time to decide and you'll also have a degree which you can then use to get a job in any industry or for accountancy to go straight onto ACA or ACCA.

If you're not sure what it would be like then it's a good idea to do some work experience at a firm. Hope that helps

Yes but overall you'll still spend longer getting to the same point by getting a degree rather than just doing AAT...
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So you reckon a levels will be good for me ? And I think maths will be too hard
If you want to be a Chartered Accountant specifically (and there are lots of alternative routes which may work really well for you) I would do A levels and try to get high grades (BBB or better). You need at least 2 out of the three to be sensible looking, academic subjects - law, business and sociology look ok to me but worth double checking. You also need at least 5 GCSEs grades A-C inc English and Maths. Some jobs will require B's at English and Maths.GCSE.

(By double checking I mean post the same question under the accountancy section under careers on this website and also on the apprenticeships section where others looking into these routes or who have been successful can comment).

Then have a look into apprenticeships and unversity courses when you have done a year of A levels and you get an idea of what grades you are looking at. If there are any work placements, shadowing schemes, company events your school is involved with try to get involved with them.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What does that mean ?
To become a qualified accountant you have to pass a load of exams. You gain exemptions (so don't need to sit certain of the exam papers) by doing related courses - for example as part of a degree. This saves you time and effort in becoming qualified.
emmataco
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

if your a AAA student go to uni, if your ABB or less go down the A levels + AAT route.

Most graduates end up doing accountancy jobs paying less than 21k, which you be earning more than with an AAT
Stevo F
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What does that mean ?
You won’t have to do as many AAT exams because they would know you covered the content in your degree
If you get a degree you can get a graduate job and study ACA/ACCA, and that way you wouldn't have to do AAT at all, and you may get some exemptions from ACA/ACCA exams
Even so the quickest, (not necessarily the best), route to becoming ACA/ACCA qualified is doing AAT as by being AAT qualified you get a year's worth of exemptions on ACA, (I assume also on ACCA).
Fayzan_Ali
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stevo F)
Yes but overall you'll still spend longer getting to the same point by getting a degree rather than just doing AAT...
I am not completely sure I want to do accountancy as of yet (may do something bank related though ) - so you all reckon I should do a levels ?
Stevo F
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am not completely sure I want to do accountancy as of yet (may do something bank related though ) - so you all reckon I should do a levels ?
Yes in that case I would suggest doing A levels, you're still young and even if you were set on accountancy right now that may change anyway so by doing A Levels it gives you more time to think but also gives you the backup option for the future
Fayzan_Ali
Rep:
?
People say my a level subjects are soft , is this true ? And what is recognised better AAT ACA qualification or a degree in ACA?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
People say my a level subjects are soft , is this true ? And what is recognised better AAT ACA qualification or a degree in ACA?
Who says your A levels are soft? I dont think that sociology is seen as soft. Business studies may be to an extent (but we are not talking media studies or BTEC travel and tourism type soft).

AAT and ACA are both widely recognised. ACA is a far more advanced course. Degrees (you cant strictly take a degree in ACA - Accounting and Finance would be a related degree subject) are a little different as they tend to be more academic and less practical than exams such as ACA. Also, degrees tend to be much easier to pass than ACA so are less respected in the workplace.
Fayzan_Ali
Rep:
?
Who says your A levels are soft? I dont think that sociology is seen as soft. Business studies may be to an extent (but we are not talking media studies or BTEC travel and tourism type soft).

AAT and ACA are both widely recognised. ACA is a far more advanced course. Degrees (you cant strictly take a degree in ACA - Accounting and Finance would be a related degree subject) are a little different as they tend to be more academic and less practical than exams such as ACA. Also, degrees tend to be much easier to pass than ACA so are less respected in the workplace.
everyone I know is doing maths and sciences as if it’s gcse but I feel like they’re too hard

so you reckon I should do AAT route to get ACA?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
everyone I know is doing maths and sciences as if it’s gcse but I feel like they’re too hard

so you reckon I should do AAT route to get ACA?
If you have a chance of doing A levels at college I would definitely do A levels. Then consider doing an AAT apprenticeship so you get practical experience, sit the exams and get paid at the same time.
Fayzan_Ali
Rep:
?
If you have a chance of doing A levels at college I would definitely do A levels. Then consider doing an AAT apprenticeship so you get practical experience, sit the exams and get paid at the same time.
What’s the advantages of doing a level and going into AAT instead of just going straight into AAT?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (237)
56.7%
I don't have everything I need (181)
43.3%

Watched Threads