The Student Room Group

History alevel

What is history like at alevel?
Is there a lot of content and memorisation?
How hard would it be to get a A ?
And how hard is it ?
Original post by rehma ali
And how hard is it ?

It depends. You have to like History and find it genuinely interesting. For those who do and are curious about what happened , why plus have an opinion then its a great topic, especially if the periods selected interest you. It can be really involving.

On the other hand if you arent interested and curious, then it will be like paint drying. A bad subject to take and like slow torture.

History is known for its large volume of content. As above if you enjoy it then its a lot less arduous then if you think you can memorise it all as in GCSE.
And how hard is it ?

You have to really enjoy the subject tbh. I was tempted to drop a level history this year because of the amount of content there is but I still like the subject so I've kept it. It was probably my largest step up from GCSE out of all of my subjects though.. If you have no curiosity for history then it would be such a dull and difficult subject.
You need to know a lot of facts and dates and things, but it really isn't like GCSE where you could just memorise everything as you need to write essays with clear argument. Also you will need to analyse sources which for me is the most difficult part.
And how hard is it ?

I think 999tiger summed it up really well, I did medieval history at Alevel and absolutely loved it. I had to put a lot of revision into it but I did end up getting an A. It’s definitely a subject that rewards extra reading so enjoying the content is quite important.
I would also say it depends on how you found English, if you’re able to construct a decent essay then things will be a lot simpler for you, some people in my class who didn’t read as much or found English more difficult ended up struggling when it came to putting their points down.
And how hard is it ?

I think 999tiger summed it up really well, I did medieval history at Alevel and absolutely loved it. I had to put a lot of revision into it but I did end up getting an A. It’s definitely a subject that rewards extra reading so enjoying the content is quite important.
I would also say it depends on how you found English, if you’re able to construct a decent essay then things will be a lot simpler for you, some people in my class who didn’t read as much or found English more difficult ended up struggling when it came to putting their points down. With the new reforms(aqa anyway) you’ll also have to retain first year content as well as learning A2 so again, it’ll be a lot easier if you’re interested in it.

Quick Reply

Latest