The Student Room Group

Feeling a bit stuck

Hi everyone,

I have been in a job now for two years and started off as an apprentice but feel a bit stuck in the same job. I have been applying for other jobs which I would qualify for but have been unsuccessful. I'm reasonably happy where I work.

Does anyone else feel this?

I pay rent in a shared house as I moved out about a year ago and am happy where I live. Although I have been feeling a bit resentful as I earn enough but would like to have money behind me to have my own place.

Thanks Emma
Original post by ScienceLover98
Hi everyone,

I have been in a job now for two years and started off as an apprentice but feel a bit stuck in the same job. I have been applying for other jobs which I would qualify for but have been unsuccessful. I'm reasonably happy where I work.

I pay rent in a shared house as I moved out about a year ago and am happy where I live. Although I have been feeling a bit resentful as I earn enough but would like to have money behind me to have my own place.

Thanks Emma

I imagine it would be quite a common feeling.
Nothing wrong with continuing to apply for jobs! Plus, I guess you're saving quite a bit of money by living in the shared house. It's good that you're driven to want more from life, as long as you go about it in a good way - which it sounds like you are :smile:
Original post by bekahw96
Nothing wrong with continuing to apply for jobs! Plus, I guess you're saving quite a bit of money by living in the shared house. It's good that you're driven to want more from life, as long as you go about it in a good way - which it sounds like you are :smile:

Thank you, I think I'm in a bit of a place where I'm focusing on negatives.
Original post by ScienceLover98
Hi everyone,

Thanks Emma

Very much so! I've been doing the same job now for four years. I'm finding it pretty repetitive now and so sometimes its hard to feel motivated.

I'm in a difficult position as where I work is very flexible and it fits in great with me doing my MSc. Before I started my MSc though I had the opportunities to apply for roles and try and progress and I talked myself out of it! I'm my own worst enemy really.
Original post by NetworkProblem
Very much so! I've been doing the same job now for four years. I'm finding it pretty repetitive now and so sometimes its hard to feel motivated.

I'm in a difficult position as where I work is very flexible and it fits in great with me doing my MSc. Before I started my MSc though I had the opportunities to apply for roles and try and progress and I talked myself out of it! I'm my own worst enemy really.

I'm doing an open university course alongside and the hours allow me to work on this when I get home. I'm slowly trying to get into the more clinical side as I love biology. But everything seems to move at such a slow pace.
The most important questions is - are you able to grow in the company you are working for? I think this is very important. Would you like to move up to a better position and can you learn something new in the position you are already in.

It’s easy to get stuck and comfortable. If your job is not challenging and exciting, it’s time for a change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending