Will my UKCAT stop me getting in? Watch

stressica1002
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Do you think I stand a chance getting into either Exeter, Cardiff Bristol or Birmingham for medicine? I have high GCSE's (12 A*s 1 A) and predicted grades (4 A*s) but am really struggling with the ukcat, averaging 640 and band 2 sjt? I am also concerned because my UKCAT scores are very different for each section e.g. 770 in Verbal and 550 in quantitive and didn't know if this would impact anything?
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What you get in each individual section doesn't matter(I think there might be one uni which specifies over a certain number in each section but that's it). The overall score(or average when /4 matters the most).
I believe some of the unis you've chosen are GCSE heavy and your GCSE's will work in your favour if your UKCAT does't.
As you haven't taken the test yet I can't tell you if you stand a chance or not as what you get on the day may be very different from mocks(I know mine was a lot better) so I can't judge really. Your SJ band is good as well.
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Wow awesome stats, in terms of securing interviews Exeter should be fine as they selected on A-Level predicted grades, Cardiff will also be fine as they selected based on GCSEs, Birmingham would probably be okay although it is worth checking what your score would be on their online interview calculator I believe about 8.0 was needed to be competitive last year. Bristol is the only one I would avoid, they are moving to selection based on UKCAT and I believe 665 was about what would have been needed to secure an interview last year.
AadamB
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey your stats are quite good. In terms of getting an interview you are likely but I guess it just depends on the universities requirements. Some are very UKCAT heavy for example whereas others like bristol care not just the UKCAT but the PS (for example) when shortlisting. Quick question if you don't mind: how do you answer the Verbal Reasoning questions? some say to scan the question for a keyword and just find it in the passage to answer whereas some just suggest to read the whole thing. For QR, the offical mocks are hard compared to the actual thing and medify is a really good source for it so if you have that just try as many timed questions as possible. Good luck!
stressica1002
Rep:
?
(Original post by 7459236)
Wow awesome stats, in terms of securing interviews Exeter should be fine as they selected on A-Level predicted grades, Cardiff will also be fine as they selected based on GCSEs, Birmingham would probably be okay although it is worth checking what your score would be on their online interview calculator I believe about 8.0 was needed to be competitive last year. Bristol is the only one I would avoid, they are moving to selection based on UKCAT and I believe 665 was about what would have been needed to secure an interview last year.
Thanks so much, that's useful to know! Any suggestions on other uni's that aren't as ukcat heavy?
AadamB
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Bristol for dentistry is only 20% UKCAT and like 50% personal statement. There are others but I am not too sure for Medicine. Sorry again haha but do you read a lot too as I've heard that, that helps with VR on the UKCAT.
stressica1002
Rep:
?
(Original post by AadamB)
Hey your stats are quite good. In terms of getting an interview you are likely but I guess it just depends on the universities requirements. Some are very UKCAT heavy for example whereas others like bristol care not just the UKCAT but the PS (for example) when shortlisting. Quick question if you don't mind: how do you answer the Verbal Reasoning questions? some say to scan the question for a keyword and just find it in the passage to answer whereas some just suggest to read the whole thing. For QR, the offical mocks are hard compared to the actual thing and medify is a really good source for it so if you have that just try as many timed questions as possible. Good luck!
Unless its a tiny passage I never read the whole thing, I find it so much quicker to scan and maybe read the full paragraph if I need to. Thanks for the tips, Ive been using medic portal and the 1250 book but I'm starting to run out of questions (my uckats in a few days anyway so its not the end of the world). Thanks!!
stressica1002
Rep:
?
(Original post by AadamB)
Bristol for dentistry is only 20% UKCAT and like 50% personal statement. There are others but I am not too sure for Medicine. Sorry again haha but do you read a lot too as I've heard that, that helps with VR on the UKCAT.
yeah I've always been quite a quick reader which is probably why, I'm just surprised I do so bad in quantitive as I'm good at maths
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by stressica1002)
Thanks so much, that's useful to know! Any suggestions on other uni's that aren't as ukcat heavy?
Plymouth - UKCAT but generally low cut off approx 600
UEA - 67% GCSE 33% UKCAT
St.Georges - UKCAT but cut off generally between 630-650
Hull York - 50% UKCAT 50% GCSE your GCSE would easily balance out a low UKCAT
Keele - Roles and responsibilities form
Nottingham - GCSEs, UKCAT and Personal Statement, with a decent personal statement and your awesome GCSEs you would probably be fine
Queen Marys - 50% A-level predictions 50% UKCAT
Leicester - GCSEs and UKCAT your GCSEs should balance out your UKCAT
stressica1002
Rep:
?
(Original post by 7459236)
Plymouth - UKCAT but generally low cut off approx 600
UEA - 67% GCSE 33% UKCAT
St.Georges - UKCAT but cut off generally between 630-650
Hull York - 50% UKCAT 50% GCSE your GCSE would easily balance out a low UKCAT
Keele - Roles and responsibilities form
Nottingham - GCSEs, UKCAT and Personal Statement, with a decent personal statement and your awesome GCSEs you would probably be fine
Queen Marys - 50% A-level predictions 50% UKCAT
Leicester - GCSEs and UKCAT your GCSEs should balance out your UKCAT
thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.29%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.57%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.41%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (36)
14.69%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.24%
How can I be the best version of myself? (73)
29.8%

Watched Threads