The Student Room Group

GCSE grades for KCL medicine (2019 entry)?

Hi there,

I've heard that the average KCL applicant has 8-9 A*s at GCSE, but I only have 4A*'s 4A's and 2B's (one of the B's is in biology) - will this put me at a disadvanatge? and if so, what should I do to improve my chances of getting an interview?

I achieved 3A's at the end of yr 12 (haven't been told my predicted grades yet) and will be sitting my UKCAT soon.
Reply 1
Original post by Studio ghibli
Hi there,

I've heard that the average KCL applicant has 8-9 A*s at GCSE, but I only have 4A*'s 4A's and 2B's (one of the B's is in biology) - will this put me at a disadvanatge? and if so, what should I do to improve my chances of getting an interview?

I achieved 3A's at the end of yr 12 (haven't been told my predicted grades yet) and will be sitting my UKCAT soon.

It will be the combination of ukcat and gcses which contribute to an interview at kings. Unless it's changed, in 2017 they ranked on 50% ukcat, 40% gcse individual and school performance, then 10% on contextual data. I know that people got interviews with 640/650 ukcat and presumably great gcse's. With that weighting I also assume that people with very high UKCAT had less than perfect gcses.

Anyway much better to wait until you get your ukcat result, then decide. And don't just focus on kings. You need to apply strategically where you have the best chance.

Happy to give views when you have ukcat score.
Original post by meddad
It will be the combination of ukcat and gcses which contribute to an interview at kings. Unless it's changed, in 2017 they ranked on 50% ukcat, 40% gcse individual and school performance, then 10% on contextual data. I know that people got interviews with 640/650 ukcat and presumably great gcse's. With that weighting I also assume that people with very high UKCAT had less than perfect gcses.

Anyway much better to wait until you get your ukcat result, then decide. And don't just focus on kings. You need to apply strategically where you have the best chance.

Happy to give views when you have ukcat score.

Thanks for the reply!
What do u mean by ‘gcse individual’ and for the UKCAT do u have any tips on the QR, AR, VR (comprehension) sections especially when it comes to timing?
Reply 3
Original post by Studio ghibli
Thanks for the reply!
What do u mean by ‘gcse individual’ and for the UKCAT do u have any tips on the QR, AR, VR (comprehension) sections especially when it comes to timing?

They rank on individual performance in gcse (ie your own achievements) but also take account of school performance - I assume some sort of weighting if you are at a lower end performing school.

I've never done ukcat, but Medify seems to have the best reputation for practice tests
Reply 4
Did u get in?

I am in a similar position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending