If I did the OCR computer science GCSE could I do the AQA computer science A-Level. Watch

Cod3tte
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm in year 10, going into year 11 after the summer and I know sixth form applications, you have to give in at the beginning of the year so I've planned what I want to do for my A-Levels.

Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry
AQA Computer Science

My school's sixth form do everything I want, except computer science a-level. They do the OCR GCSE computer science and that is currently one of the subjects I am taking now.

Firstly, I don't want to leave my school, for sixth form but if I have to in order to do the subjects I want I will.

But one thing I've been wondering is can I do an AQA computer science a-level if I've done the OCR computer science GCSE? Will I qualify or would have I had to have done a AQA computer science GCSE?
ZdYnm8vuNR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cod3tte)
can I do an AQA computer science a-level if I've done the OCR computer science GCSE? Will I qualify or would have I had to have done a AQA computer science GCSE?
For doing's sake, you can do any A-level from any exam board with any or even no GCSEs. Not that I'd recommend that..

TL;DR: YES - Which exam board you did for GCSE doesn't matter.
RickHendricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in year 10, going into year 11 after the summer and I know sixth form applications, you have to give in at the beginning of the year so I've planned what I want to do for my A-Levels.

Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry
AQA Computer Science

My school's sixth form do everything I want, except computer science a-level. They do the OCR GCSE computer science and that is currently one of the subjects I am taking now.

Firstly, I don't want to leave my school, for sixth form but if I have to in order to do the subjects I want I will.

But one thing I've been wondering is can I do an AQA computer science a-level if I've done the OCR computer science GCSE? Will I qualify or would have I had to have done a AQA computer science GCSE?
I'd recommend you drop Further Maths and replace it with maths or drop chemistry and replace it with maths or something.

Doing Further Math on its own is very hard and will put you behind majority of the other Further Mathematicians who will do Maths too, because it provides access to the underlying theme in many of the Further Maths chapters.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As someone else has said, it is very common to swap boards between GCSE and A level. Why are you so keen to take AQA Comp Sci at A level?

Also, are you really sure you want to take 5 A levels? Unless you will have already completed Maths A level, Further Maths will include Maths A level. Universities would prefer you to get 3 top grades rather and 4 decent ones (A*A*A* rather than AAAA) that also applies to doing 5.
Cod3tte
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Compost)
As someone else has said, it is very common to swap boards between GCSE and A level. Why are you so keen to take AQA Comp Sci at A level?

Also, are you really sure you want to take 5 A levels? Unless you will have already completed Maths A level, Further Maths will include Maths A level. Universities would prefer you to get 3 top grades rather and 4 decent ones (A*A*A* rather than AAAA) that also applies to doing 5.
AQA because universities are more open to people who have done the AQA CS A-Level as their content has a good balance of both theory and practical.

Also I didn't know you had to a Maths A-Level to do a further Maths A-Level in all honesty I thought they were the same thing.
stettafire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have an OCR level 2 in Computing for business. I still did a computer science A level. Honestly, it's fine.
therandomperson
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
? Yeah... You don't have to swear allegiance to one exam board...
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
AQA because universities are more open to people who have done the AQA CS A-Level as their content has a good balance of both theory and practical.
There really won't be a big difference between the boards as Ofqual's requirements for what's in specifications doesn't leave a lot of room for variation. Either would be fine. As many schools don't even offer A level Computer Science it is seldom a requirement for any university course, even Comp Sci. I can't see them quibbling with which board you've done.

Also I didn't know you had to a Maths A-Level to do a further Maths A-Level in all honesty I thought they were the same thing.
They are 2 separate A levels and you really have to do Maths to do Further Maths.
Bubbyroller2000
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As several people have mentioned, there is no harm changing exam boards. The main benefit of studying the OCR AS or A Level, having already studied the OCR GCSE, is that the modules line up exactly the same. I.e 1.1 looks at system architecture. Irrespective of your KS5 exam board, you will still be expected to cover the same material.

If you are dead set on CS go for it and don’t worry about having to leave your old school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (15)
68.18%
No (7)
31.82%

Watched Threads