3 or 4 A-Levels?? Watch

dreweloise
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi so i’m thinking of doing 4 a level subjects and i was wondering if anyone had any opinions about doing 4 instead of 3?? I want to go to oxford to study maths so it would mean i’d have more pressure as i’d have to get higher levels in all of them however my school only lets us take 4 if we get all 7s, 8s and 9s in GCSE so i believe i’d probably be able to handle it. although i don’t know whether it’d be worth just taking 3 and focusing more on them or taking 4 and then maybe end up dropping one (8i don’t have to drop one but i could). but yeah, if you’ve taken 4 a levels and then dropped one or not please share your experience and stuff

EDIT: is it worth taking an EPQ?? i wouldn’t know what subject to do that links with maths but i’ve heard unis view it quite highly, especially russell groups?? the other 3 i would chose would be maths, FM and physics (and then probably bio or chem if i did a 4th)
gamerboi98
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I mean you only need three a levels to go to any university. Seems like it'd be too much effort to do four even though you only take three to second year anyway.
username3257996
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by dreweloise)
Hi so i’m thinking of doing 4 a level subjects and i was wondering if anyone had any opinions about doing 4 instead of 3?? I want to go to oxford so it would mean i’d have more pressure as i’d have to get higher levels in all of them however my school only lets us take 4 if we get all 7s, 8s and 9s in GCSE so i believe i’d probably be able to handle it. although i don’t know whether it’d be worth just taking 3 and focusing more on them or taking 4 and then maybe end up dropping one. but yeah, if you’ve taken 4 a levels and then dropped one or not please share your experience and stuff
I'd suggest you to do 3 just because 4 is too much to handle, (even at AS Level!) considering how huge the syllabus for each subject is... but of course, this is just my own opinion.

I recently finished my A Levels (Business, Economics and Chemistry) and had been doing 3 subjects from the start of AS Level (well actually I dropped AS Level Maths after the 1st week 😂😅) and I found that to be much better because I had so many free periods to study and focus on the final 3 subjects that I eventually chose to proceed with. If you are going to drop a subject, it'll be better to not even take it in the first place (unless of course you really want to study a certain subject until AS Level only - but do keep in mind the time you'll get from sticking to 3 and the time you'll lose by sticking to 4)

*** If you need any help regarding this then I am more than happy to help out ***
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Harry171
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
my college wont let anyone do 4 a-levels because they said the workload (now) is too much
Pastelx
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
What subjects and degrees are you considering?

If it’s Maths, an EPQ doesn’t get you a reduced offer at most universities; they respect it but it probably won’t change your chance of getting accepted (same with work experience)

I do Maths, FM, Physics (currently also Chemistry but I’m considering dropping it!) and an EPQ in fine art, and I’m applying for Maths at uni in October
Joywire
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I'd advise you to choose four and drop your least favourite when you've figured out how it's going. A-Levels are pretty unpredictable: geography was my favourite subject after GCSEs, but after one year I've realised I hate it at A-Level, so I'm super thankful I took four and can now drop it. Feel no pressure to carry on with all four. Plenty of Oxbridge undergrads only did three 🙂
setarexhx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I took four and ended up dropping 1 in the middle of the year because it became too much. If you think you can handle it then take four but A-Levels are a lot of stress and work and you only really need 3 a levels to go to any uni so
dreweloise
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pastelx)
What subjects and degrees are you considering?

If it’s Maths, an EPQ doesn’t get you a reduced offer at most universities; they respect it but it probably won’t change your chance of getting accepted (same with work experience)

I do Maths, FM, Physics (currently also Chemistry but I’m considering dropping it!) and an EPQ in fine art, and I’m applying for Maths at uni in October
that’s probably exactly what i’d do aha! i have seen that an epq gives you a reduced offer in most subjects but if it doesn’t for maths i don’t see too much point in doing it. i prefer bio over chem however maths, fm, physics and bio doesn’t seem like a popular combination.
Captain Holt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi so i’m thinking of doing 4 a level subjects and i was wondering if anyone had any opinions about doing 4 instead of 3?? I want to go to oxford to study maths so it would mean i’d have more pressure as i’d have to get higher levels in all of them however my school only lets us take 4 if we get all 7s, 8s and 9s in GCSE so i believe i’d probably be able to handle it. although i don’t know whether it’d be worth just taking 3 and focusing more on them or taking 4 and then maybe end up dropping one (8i don’t have to drop one but i could). but yeah, if you’ve taken 4 a levels and then dropped one or not please share your experience and stuff

EDIT: is it worth taking an EPQ?? i wouldn’t know what subject to do that links with maths but i’ve heard unis view it quite highly, especially russell groups?? the other 3 i would chose would be maths, FM and physics (and then probably chem if i did a 4th)
If you can do maths and further maths with only 1 additional subject, then just do 3. If you can only take further maths as a 4th (which was what it was in my school) then take 4. Other than that, there is no point taking 4 tbh
happywhale
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

EDIT: is it worth taking an EPQ?? i wouldn’t know what subject to do that links with maths but i’ve heard unis view it quite highly, especially russell groups?? the other 3 i would chose would be maths, FM and physics (and then probably chem if i did a 4th)
I'd definitely second starting off with 4 and possibly dropping to 3. Before the reformed A levels, it was very unusual (for someone aiming for high grades) to just take 3 subjects at AS level, as the workload is pretty small - particularly with maths and further maths.

(Also I did maths, further maths and physics to A level, and took 6 ASs and an EPQ, including chemistry. I'd say the EPQ is what you make of it, but I didn't find it particularly worthwhile. Chemistry on the other hand is really helpful to take if you're planning on doing a physics degree, even if just for a year!)
nin-kaii
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Depends on the subjects! If you want to do hard subjects probably best to do 3, if you want to do less intense subjects (but they WILL be time consuming and hard work nonetheless) go for 4. I'm assuming that, as you want to do oxford to do maths, best to do 3 and focus really hard on them.

I did 4 a levels + EPQ but 1 of my a levels was my second language, without official lessons. EPQ was definitely worth it and even an be fun to do, it helps your application. It's essentially a project about whatever you like, only takes a little work and can be interesting and teachers you about proper writing/researching.

Because I had high GCSEs I had to do either 4 (proper, with lessons) a levels or an EPQ but I missed the start of college so I did EPQ.
dreweloise
Rep:
?
(Original post by happywhale)
I'd definitely second starting off with 4 and possibly dropping to 3. Before the reformed A levels, it was very unusual (for someone aiming for high grades) to just take 3 subjects at AS level, as the workload is pretty small - particularly with maths and further maths.

(I did maths, further maths and physics to A level, and took 6 ASs and an EPQ)
see i would do several AS levels as you did however our school doesn’t actually do AS levels anymore since they changed and no longer count toward an A level :/
happywhale
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
see i would do several AS levels as you did however our school doesn’t actually do AS levels anymore since they changed and no longer count toward an A level :/
The year 1 A level content is the same as the AS content (I took the new AS in chemistry ) so even if your school won't enter you for the AS, it might be worth looking into sitting it privately?
Pastelx
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
that’s probably exactly what i’d do aha! i have seen that an epq gives you a reduced offer in most subjects but if it doesn’t for maths i don’t see too much point in doing it. i prefer bio over chem however maths, fm, physics and bio doesn’t seem like a popular combination.
Double maths and a science would be the preferred offer from a uni (with physics being the most useful) so that combination with biology would be great! Chemistry is really no more useful biology so don’t worry about your A Level combination not being standard.

I would 100% agree with everyone else saying start with four and drop one though– it’s really good to have that option and you really can drop one at any time
ZdYnm8vuNR
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If you're doing double maths, which you will be considering you're considering maths at oxbridge, two extra subjects wouldn't be too bad, as its more like taking 3.5 A-levels.

Im not considering maths, however im doing: Double Maths, Physics and Computer science and so far, the workload is fine.
lexiwilliamz
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I went to a Cambridge application day and they said they don’t really look at EPQs. Certain Russel groups like Birmingham do but if your aiming for oxbridge levels they focus mainly on grades.

I’d say do 3 tbh like maths physics and further maths or something tbh. My friends that do 4 already complain about workload and it’s only been 4 weeks
lexiwilliamz
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
But tbh it really just depends on if you can hack it. How many gcses are you doing now?
TheHof
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Go for quality rather than quantity. It is very hard to get an A* in French.

I worked in a secondary school for a couple of years and the Deputy Headteacher (who is French) and teaches French, advised her own daughters not to take it at A Level.

They were Oxbridge candidates and needed A*s, but despite being almost bilingual, it was by no means certain that they would get top results.

All subject teachers want you to take their subject, but it's always worth asking what their success rate is for A's and A*s.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads