The Student Room Group

Help for Edexcel GCSE English Language (9-1) Retake in November 2018

Dear TSR,

I got grade 5 in English Language in my GCSEs.

I am planing to resit in November 2018 and target grade 8/9

Kindly suggest what should be the course of action ( study material / resources) will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello! It's great that you are striving for the top grade in English language. I attained a strong 9 this summer in English language and think that I can help. Language is mainly based on technique, so it's best to go over practice papers. I also recommend looking at examiner reports and exemplar answers (all on Edexcel's website) to get an insight into what the examiners are looking for in successful responses. I would love to help you in any way that I can. To achieve the top grades, you must be perceptive in the reading section and elegant in the writing section. The general consensus is that the biggest hurdles you'll face are imaginative writing and comparisons between texts. *I'm more than happy to provide you with resources for you to practise that Edexcel doesn't provide on their website if you want - but I can only do it via email. :smile:

*I'm a visually impaired student, so many of the revision materials I provide you with will have an answer booklet and a reading text insert. You can discern what the content is by the document's name (one of them also has a mark-scheme). You should let your teacher or anyone else with marking experience examine your work and provide feedback on it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Tolgarda
Hello! It's great that you are striving for the top grade in English language. I attained a strong 9 this summer in English language and think that I can help. Language is mainly based on technique, so it's best to go over practice papers. I also recommend looking at examiner reports and exemplar answers (all on Edexcel's website) to get an insight into what the examiners are looking for in successful responses. I would love to help you in any way that I can. To achieve the top grades, you must be perceptive in the reading section and elegant in the writing section. The general consensus is that the biggest hurdles you'll face are imaginative writing and comparisons between texts. *I'm more than happy to provide you with resources for you to practice that Edexcel doesn't provide on their website if you want - but I can only do it via email. :smile:

*I'm a visually impaired student, so many of the revision materials I provide you with will have an answer booklet and a reading text insert. You can discern what the content is by the document's name (one of them also has a mark-scheme). You should let your teacher or anyone else with marking experience examine your work and provide feedback on it.

Thanks for your reply.

I have sent you a PM
Hello! It's great that you are striving for the top grade in English language. I attained a strong 9 this summer in English language and think that I can help. Language is mainly based on technique, so it's best to go over practice papers. I also recommend looking at examiner reports and exemplar answers (all on Edexcel's website) to get an insight into what the examiners are looking for in successful responses. I would love to help you in any way that I can. To achieve the top grades, you must be perceptive in the reading section and elegant in the writing section. The general consensus is that the biggest hurdles you'll face are imaginative writing and comparisons between texts. *I'm more than happy to provide you with resources for you to practice that Edexcel doesn't provide on their website if you want - but I can only do it via email. :smile:

you are honestly a saviour i just did my gcse on wjec eduqas and recieved a 4 in both english lang and lit Im doing a btec level 3 90 credit applied science course and im resitting english lang and maths ( 4 in higher edexcel maths) I desperatley need advice as i have never progressed from these grades in schools and i never seemed to improve if you can Dm me your email that would be greatly appreciated thank you
Reply 4
Original post by knownasAD
you are honestly a saviour i just did my gcse on wjec eduqas and recieved a 4 in both english lang and lit Im doing a btec level 3 90 credit applied science course and im resitting english lang and maths ( 4 in higher edexcel maths) I desperatley need advice as i have never progressed from these grades in schools and i never seemed to improve if you can Dm me your email that would be greatly appreciated thank you

I'm sorry, but you're better off requesting help from someone more familiar with WJEC Eduqas. I only have experience with Edexcel, and I was offering practice papers specifically for them, including pointers with some of their questions since I am acquainted with their assessment structure. I would strongly suggest getting in touch with your teachers about how to improve, going on WJEC Eduqas' website and/or getting a private tutor.
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm sorry, but you're better off requesting help from someone more familiar with WJEC Eduqas. I only have experience with Edexcel, and I was offering practice papers specifically for them, including pointers with some of their questions since I am acquainted with their assessment structure. I would strongly suggest getting in touch with your teachers about how to improve, going on WJEC Eduqas' website and/or getting a private tutor.

oh There was a misunderstanding Im resitting and im doing edexcel now i have previously done wjec eduqas
Reply 6
Original post by knownasAD
oh There was a misunderstanding Im resitting and im doing edexcel now i have previously done wjec eduqas

Great! Message me and I will give you my email so that I can furnish many practice papers for your revision. I'm more than willing to help you with your resit!
(edited 5 years ago)

Hey I am in the exact same situation. Could you pls share your advice for me too?

Hi! Would you mind DMing me so that I can give you my email address for you to send me those papers please?
Thank you! :smile:

Hey could you please help me too?
Original post by jeebie_301
Hi! Would you mind DMing me so that I can give you my email address for you to send me those papers please?
Thank you! :smile:

Original post by fabsfabulous12
Hey could you please help me too?

Sure. Both of you just need to DM me.
how did you guys find it
Original post by zoe2002
how did you guys find it

It was good.

Best of luck everyone for Paper 2.
@helpintransfer u found it good that's good are u ready for paper 2 have any clues on the writing
how did u guys find both papers then since it done
Original post by zoe2002
how did u guys find both papers then since it done

What was the shared theme between the two excerpts? What were the transactional writing questions?
it was good
why does people want to know that
Hello! It's great that you are striving for the top grade in English language. I attained a strong 9 this summer in English language and think that I can help. Language is mainly based on technique, so it's best to go over practice papers. I also recommend looking at examiner reports and exemplar answers (all on Edexcel's website) to get an insight into what the examiners are looking for in successful responses. I would love to help you in any way that I can. To achieve the top grades, you must be perceptive in the reading section and elegant in the writing section. The general consensus is that the biggest hurdles you'll face are imaginative writing and comparisons between texts. *I'm more than happy to provide you with resources for you to practise that Edexcel doesn't provide on their website if you want - but I can only do it via email. :smile:

do you have any of your 2018 GCSE or IGCSE papers
could you please message me the link?
Reply 19

I’m also aiming for grade 7/8 can u please help me cos I’m resitting English language and maths in November(both doing Edexcel)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending