The Student Room Group

Terrified about where my classes will land me at Uni!

This year I will be starting the IB, and unfortunately because I'm quite awful at Maths and Science, I'm taking Math Studies and ESS.

I frequently see jokes that Math Studies and ESS students should grab a McDonalds or Burger King application form. Is this true? Would it be better for me to get a 2 or 3 in Standard Level Math vs a 5 or 6 in Math Studies? Same with ESS, would it be better to get a lower grade in SL Bio?

Seriously worried about how this will affect me!!
no, dont take subjcets youre not confortable with. especially if you know what you want to do at uni. the IB is a lot of stress and assignments and long hours, if youre not good at maths and sciences, just take studies and ESS. in the end, few courses at uni (that are not stem or econ and stuff) require maths SL and any other science than ESS. but if you want to do law or any other humanity, just go for it! i graduated the IB in 2017 so i know quite a bit about it. PM me if you need anything else!
Reply 2
Original post by annacorriero
no, dont take subjcets youre not confortable with. especially if you know what you want to do at uni. the IB is a lot of stress and assignments and long hours, if youre not good at maths and sciences, just take studies and ESS. in the end, few courses at uni (that are not stem or econ and stuff) require maths SL and any other science than ESS. but if you want to do law or any other humanity, just go for it! i graduated the IB in 2017 so i know quite a bit about it. PM me if you need anything else!

Thank you so much! I'm going to speak to my studies teacher to see if I'll be alright in SL, but if I'm not, then I'll accept that! Sticking in ESS because honestly I find it really interesting. :smile:

Quick Reply