The Student Room Group

Searching for graduate jobs - help!

Just need some advice/opinions. Recently graduated with a business economics degree. Not too sure what to do career-wise (part of the problem). Meanwhile, I need a job. I simply cannot ponder because of uncertainty over career-path.

I mainly use Indeed to search for graduate jobs. People often say: "use other websites like total jobs and fish4jobs etc."

But I don't find any new graduate jobs, just the same jobs that I see on Indeed. After all, Indeed is the number one search engine for jobs. What do you think? Is it naive of me to mainly use Indeed?

When searching for jobs - I use keywords like "degree" "graduate" "data analyst" "consultant" "trainee" "Graduate scheme" etc. Am I missing anything???

However, sometimes I find that opportunities are scarce. For example, I look daily and sometimes, there are only several "new" ads for "graduate" roles, and then sometimes, the positions are not suitable because it's for a law graduate or engineer, and then I end up not applying for anything because I can't (which is so demoralizing). My job search is in Bournemouth (maybe that is part of the reason).

Current situation (I'm short-listed for an interview on 30/08/2018 graduate sales role, nothing amazing, but it is a start I guess). If this falls through, then I have nothing else at present. Starting to get down and not making as much effort as before. I won’t give up, but it is almost September and I need something!

Is there anything I can do differently?

Thanks!
Original post by Keynes_101
Just need some advice/opinions. Recently graduated with a business economics degree. Not too sure what to do career-wise (part of the problem). Meanwhile, I need a job. I simply cannot ponder because of uncertainty over career-path.

I mainly use Indeed to search for graduate jobs. People often say: "use other websites like total jobs and fish4jobs etc."

But I don't find any new graduate jobs, just the same jobs that I see on Indeed. After all, Indeed is the number one search engine for jobs. What do you think? Is it naive of me to mainly use Indeed?

When searching for jobs - I use keywords like "degree" "graduate" "data analyst" "consultant" "trainee" "Graduate scheme" etc. Am I missing anything???

However, sometimes I find that opportunities are scarce. For example, I look daily and sometimes, there are only several "new" ads for "graduate" roles, and then sometimes, the positions are not suitable because it's for a law graduate or engineer, and then I end up not applying for anything because I can't (which is so demoralizing). My job search is in Bournemouth (maybe that is part of the reason).

Current situation (I'm short-listed for an interview on 30/08/2018 graduate sales role, nothing amazing, but it is a start I guess). If this falls through, then I have nothing else at present. Starting to get down and not making as much effort as before. I won’t give up, but it is almost September and I need something!

Thanks!

Can you expand your search beyond Bournemouth? I can't imagine you will find an abundance of graduate jobs there. Also try looking at organisations websites directly.

Thanks!

Try the National Careers Service - my family have found that they are genuinely focussed on what would help you best at the present moment, and have a good overview of the local jobs market. You can contact them via webchat, or for some situations they will offer a face to face interview at their nearest office.
Reply 3
Original post by jelly1000
Can you expand your search beyond Bournemouth? I can't imagine you will find an abundance of graduate jobs there. Also try looking at organisations websites directly.

I've applied for jobs in Southampton as well. But not London, the travelling back and forth won't work. My partner is settled in Bournemouth as well.

Original post by Holmstock
Try the National Careers Service - my family have found that they are genuinely focussed on what would help you best at the present moment, and have a good overview of the local jobs market. You can contact them via webchat, or for some situations they will offer a face to face interview at their nearest office.

I will check it out, thanks!
Reply 4

Try every possible misspelling! Indeed pretty much covers all. I'd use linkedin and reed to ensure coverage. If time allows maybe sites like monster/ totaljobs in case someone had a 5 year deal and only advertises on there - but in reality reed and indeed will cover most positions.

Thanks!

Have you tried these?

https://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/graduate-trainee-accountant-bournemouth/34861671?source=searchResults#/jobs/trainee-jobs-in-bournemouth?salaryfrom=18000&salaryto=30000&pageno=2

https://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/trainee-commercial-coordinator/35985537?source=searchResults#/jobs/trainee-jobs-in-bournemouth?salaryfrom=18000&salaryto=30000&pageno=2

https://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/graduate-trainee-accountant-aat-aca-acca/34383351?source=searchResults#/jobs/trainee-jobs-in-bournemouth?salaryfrom=18000&salaryto=30000
Reply 5

Thanks for input. I am aware of one of the positions. I did an online assessment for two accountancy trainee positions - I'm a bit rusty with the numerical reasoning tests. I know I answered correctly, but I took too long (a minute or two more).
Reply 6
Original post by Holmstock

Great suggestion!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending