The Student Room Group

Opinions on my EPQ?

I'm planning on doing an EPQ after the summer and I was hoping if anyone can give their opinions on the two proposed EPQ titles I've chosen. 'How will the universe end and are we sure it will?' which is a 5000 word essay and 'A simulation of projectile motion and evaluating how well it predicts the motion of an object' which is a program and a 1000 word report. Do you think these titles are sophisticated enough to be an EPQ, are there any problems and which one would be the best to do? Thanks.
Reply 1
Moved to EPQ :smile:
Original post by robertah9
I'm planning on doing an EPQ after the summer and I was hoping if anyone can give their opinions on the two proposed EPQ titles I've chosen. 'How will the universe end and are we sure it will?' which is a 5000 word essay and 'A simulation of projectile motion and evaluating how well it predicts the motion of an object' which is a program and a 1000 word report. Do you think these titles are sophisticated enough to be an EPQ, are there any problems and which one would be the best to do? Thanks.

I've done an EPQ and I'd be happy to give you some advice regarding your title. This is just a suggestion and it will be revised as you go along your project proposal, but it's best if your questions are specific which means that it can be answered and it's not too open-ended. Your first idea regarding the universe is too open/subjective, whilst the latter title is very specific and gets straight to the point.

Often, people find that the broader their EPQ title is, the harder the time they will have actually making their EPQ and answering it, as it's not specific enough. Equally, you are not limited at all by your topics but it must be a progression from your Lvl 3 studies, which means it cannot be a direct topic you learn in your A-level studies, or if it is, it has to be a development of it and not just a reiteration of what are learning and have learnt.

Good luck!
(edited 5 years ago)
I like the projectile motion one, you can look at differential equations and maybe touch on chaotic systems.
Original post by aspiringbiomedic
I've done an EPQ and I'd be happy to give you some advice regarding your title. This is just a suggestion and it will be revised as you go along your project proposal, but it's best if your questions are specific which means that it can be answered and it's not too open-ended. Your first idea regarding the universe is too open/subjective, whilst the latter title is very specific and gets straight to the point.

Often, people find that the broader their EPQ title is, the harder the time they will have actually making their EPQ and answering it, as it's not specific enough. Equally, you are not limited at all by your topics but it must be a progression from your Lvl 3 studies, which means it cannot be a direct topic you learn in your A-level studies, or if it is, it has to be a development of it and not just a reiteration of what are learning and have learnt.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply!

I'll replace the universe EPQ with something in the Computing area like 'What are the economical, ethical and cultural impacts of advancements in A.I'. For my projectile motion EPQ I kinda based it on my Computing and Physics A-Level subjects so might replace it with program like a genetic algorithm, something I haven't done.
Thanks for the reply!

I'll replace the universe EPQ with something in the Computing area like 'What are the economical, ethical and cultural impacts of advancements in A.I'. For my projectile motion EPQ I kinda based it on my Computing and Physics A-Level subjects so might replace it with program like a genetic algorithm, something I haven't done.

I think your projectile motion EPQ is fine since you based it from 2 subjects, as long as it's not just copying what you've learnt, it's a development from 2 subjects and you used your intitative and made synoptic links! All good.
Original post by yolkie
I like the projectile motion one, you can look at differential equations and maybe touch on chaotic systems.

I based that EPQ on my A-level Physics on projectile motion but I need to develop on what I've been taught at A-Level. What aspects of projectile motion could I cover in my program that aren't taught in A-Level? Maybe collisions with other objects mid-motion or a change in mass mid-motion?
I think your projectile motion EPQ is fine since you based it from 2 subjects, as long as it's not just copying what you've learnt, it's a development from 2 subjects and you used your intitative and made synoptic links! All good.

Thank you. I just been so busy with work experience and revising for exams I barely have time to do anything. Heck I don't have time to celebrate my birthday tomorrow.
Thank you. I just been so busy with work experience and revising for exams I barely have time to do anything. Heck I don't have time to celebrate my birthday tomorrow.

What subjects do you take? I'm guessing you're in year 12? And what do you want to do at uni? You might already have an idea if you're doing work experience :P
What subjects do you take? I'm guessing you're in year 12? And what do you want to do at uni? You might already have an idea if you're doing work experience :P

I'm currently take A-Level Computer Science, Mathematics and Physics and I want to do software engineering. I've been doing work experience in a local software company where I've shadowed some of the software developers, participated in different types of testing, see how they work in a daily basis, learnt about different aspects of software development and I'm currently being taught on creating web based software using angular 2(a mainstream programming language).
I based that EPQ on my A-level Physics on projectile motion but I need to develop on what I've been taught at A-Level. What aspects of projectile motion could I cover in my program that aren't taught in A-Level? Maybe collisions with other objects mid-motion or a change in mass mid-motion?

air resistance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending