This discussion is closed.
miniminx3310
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(This would be to pursue probs history/politics_)
*do you need minimum # grades?*

i got- 9s in english lit+history
8s in English language (was expecting a 9 probs get a remark as was v. close) and biology
7s in maths, physics and chemistry
6 in art
B in economics (was a shock )
and a 5 in spanish (blessed i even passed tbh, not me strength)

bit of a mix + match ik

also does anyone know what they think of resits...? was hoping for an 8 in chemistry but I think ik i mucked up a 11 mark qu. on endo/exo last minute as nerves made me change all the answers back :::/

as well didnt revise for maths lmao, so maybe id resit in nov as well if aiming for a 9?
alevelphysicist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There isn’t a minimum number of A*s expected for most courses. People will have got in with lower gcses than you. It comes down to doing well in other areas like aptitude tests which can definitely make up for lower gcse grades.
miniminx3310
Rep:
?
(Original post by alevelphysicist)
There isn’t a minimum number of A*s expected for most courses. People will have got in with lower gcses than you. It comes down to doing well in other areas like aptitude tests which can definitely make up for lower gcse grades.
aptitude tests??????????
are these the exams before the interviews?
alevelphysicist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by miniminx3310)
aptitude tests??????????
are these the exams before the interviews?
Yes and they’re an important part of the application process for almost all courses, possibly even more so now AS grades aren’t a thing. They happen between when you apply in mid-october and the interviews in mid-december.

I know Oxford have the HAT (history aptitude test) for history.
miniminx3310
Rep:
?
(Original post by alevelphysicist)
Yes and they’re an important part of the application process for almost all courses, possibly even more so now AS grades aren’t a thing. They happen between when you apply in mid-october and the interviews in mid-december.

I know Oxford have the HAT (history aptitude test) for history.

aaah. Thank you, wasnt quite sure xxxx
Paralove
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cambridge specific, but likely similar at Oxford: there are no GCSE requirements, and your GCSE grades are looked at in the context of the school in which you sat them. If you're in the top 10-20% of students, that's good.

A-Level grades are more important, and there are also many other elements to the application, including admission assessments as mentioned above. One thing to note is that some are pre-interview and others are at interview. Pre-interview assessments are not used to determine who gets an interview. Around 80-85% of applicants will get an interview. The Oxford aptitude tests are usually deselective, however (it determines if you're called for interview).

For now, research the courses - you should only want to go if the course interests you, not because of the name. History and politics at one uni can be very different to the same named course at another.
miniminx3310
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paralove)
Cambridge specific, but likely similar at Oxford: there are no GCSE requirements, and your GCSE grades are looked at in the context of the school in which you sat them. If you're in the top 10-20% of students, that's good.

A-Level grades are more important, and there are also many other elements to the application, including admission assessments as mentioned above. One thing to note is that some are pre-interview and others are at interview. Pre-interview assessments are not used to determine who gets an interview. Around 80-85% of applicants will get an interview. The Oxford aptitude tests are usually deselective, however (it determines if you're called for interview).

For now, research the courses - you should only want to go if the course interests you, not because of the name. History and politics at one uni can be very different to the same named course at another.
#

thank you for the advice, will do (:
14bowieh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Absolutely.

So long as you're intellectually advanced, pursue as many super-curriculars as you can, write a good personal statement, ace any entrance exam, have excellent predicted grades, you'll have just as much of a chance as those (slightly scary) people with straight 9s!
mintchocchip
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Ngl GCSEs are pretty irrelevant. I got rejected preinterview from oxford with 10A*s at GCSE (as well as 3A* predictions and v motivated PS - I read an undergrad textbook for starters - and ask questions even my teachers struggle to answer) so no one knows what their ACTUAL criteria are.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (31)
29.25%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.43%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
55.66%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
5.66%

Watched Threads