Emmam557
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
At the moment I am in S4 and I’m doing my national 5s in maths, English, history, chemistry, physics, Spanish and design and manufacture.
I’m torn between choosing a career as a history lecturer or a scientist/Doctor. I have researched both of these jobs and I understand the pros and cons of each.
I love history, I always have and I’ve earned the school history achievement award, however I also like science, chemistry in particular and my teachers say that o could crash higher biology if I wanted too. I’m not sure what to do because by choosing one career path I’d be letting go of the other one completely as the fields are not similar or related in any way. Any advice on what I should do would be much appreciated.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Emmam557)
At the moment I am in S4 and I’m doing my national 5s in maths, English, history, chemistry, physics, Spanish and design and manufacture.
I’m torn between choosing a career as a history lecturer or a scientist/Doctor. I have researched both of these jobs and I understand the pros and cons of each.
I love history, I always have and I’ve earned the school history achievement award, however I also like science, chemistry in particular and my teachers say that o could crash higher biology if I wanted too. I’m not sure what to do because by choosing one career path I’d be letting go of the other one completely as the fields are not similar or related in any way. Any advice on what I should do would be much appreciated.
At the moment, my advice to you given that you are only in S4 would be to get good grades in your National 5s, and then go on to do a set of highers that would leave your options open to both areas (such as maths, English, history, chemistry, crash biology) if you're still feeling undecided. In between times, it could help you to try and get some work experience in both of the areas you're interested in, which might help you get a better idea of which route you want to go down. Just don't stress about it too much at this stage, as (though schools can sometimes make it seem this way) there's no need to be committed to a particular career path at this stage, especially as you can take a set of subjects that will leave both the ones you mentioned (and many more!) open to you.
Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (67)
14.69%
I'm not sure (16)
3.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (154)
33.77%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.75%
I'm not a current university student (211)
46.27%

Watched Threads