Is Asthma an allergic reaction

Watch
blue900
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I never understood if Asthma is an allergic reaction or just someone that has bad lungs.

Can someone please explain this to me?
Phyx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not a scientist but I have some knowledge on Asthma since I used to have it. There are different types of Asthma but the most common I know are Non-allergic asthma, Allergic asthma and asthma with obesity. For Non-allergic asthma, you just have triggers which can affect your asthma such as dust, smoke, perfumes or strong smells. Allergic Asthma is similar to Non-allergic Asthma but if you come in contact with what your allergic to you definitely get an Asthma attack and sometimes runs in the family. I don't know much about Asthma with obesity but I think it's just due to your organs being pushed together. I might be wrong on that so feel free to correct me.

No one here can really say if your asthma is due to allergies or bad lungs, to get a real answer I'd suggest going to the GP and getting yourself checked out because if you don't know it might become a problem in the future. If you do not want to go to the GP, make a list of everywhere you get an asthma attack and see if the places have anything in common such as lots of dust, smoke or after you eat something specific that could trigger it.

Again I'm not a scientist so some of the things I have said might be wrong so feel free to correct me in any way.
esralled
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was born with Asthma. It means that I'm allergic to some things, but it's not an allergy in itself. An asthma attack can trigger from intense exercise, for example. My airways are smaller than yours and they fill up with mucus more easily, and I have a smaller lung capacity, so when I have to take in a lot of air at once it's pretty much impossible and I start wheezing. That's not an allergy.

It also means that I'm allergic to dust. When I'm doing a deep clean of my student room for example, all the dust kicks up and blocks my airways more than God already did, and I get an attack. That is an allergy. The same goes for cats - their molting cat hair gets caught in my airways.

What does bother me though is that I'm a smoker, and cigarettes don't give me an attack. If someone can explain that to me, I can finally stop putting it down to m a g i c
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (118)
43.38%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (43)
15.81%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (106)
38.97%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
1.84%

Watched Threads