I would like some tips about how to get all grade 9s for my GCSEs. I am taking:
Maths- Edexcel
Eng Lang + Lit: Edexcel
Triple Science: AQA
French: Edexcel
History: Edexcel
Computing: OCR
DT: AQA
I would appreciate any advice, particularly about French and English.
readyplayer2wo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
for maths its just practice and for English lit you should learn good exam techniques and good ways to form paragraphs when answering extract questions. I use PEEL (point, evidence, explain, link to question). For English language summary you should read the passage given and highlight with two highlighters the two parts of the task getting 9 points for each part of the task (e.g 9 advantages for self build homes and 9 disadvantages or nine pros and nine cons of honeybees),you should also write the summary as two paragraphs one for each contrasting belief and write continuously and avoid listing as 5 marks are available for quality of writing but take more care finding valid points as exam boards do tend to be very specific and 15 marks are available for the points listed in the summary, also when starting the new paragraph make sure you use a phrase or word that specifies you are moving on and talking about the second belief. for English language directed writing you should start the answer as the question asks (e.g if itays write a letter then start the answer with dear... and carry on as if you were writing a real letter), you should make sure you have four or five ideas for each of the three bullet points your asked to talk about in the question giving detail of the idea e.g "lots of space" is the idea and your detail should be "no more sharing" so the detail you add to the first idea is an extra perk of the idea but the first idea and detail you add has to be from thepassage otherwise you get low marks after writing the idea and detail of the idea you should develop the idea yourself so development to the previous example would be that your not cramped anymore as you have more space, remember do this for all the sections/bullets your asked to talk about.for English language analysis exam you should remember to have 4 points/quotes your gonna analyse for both of the scenes your asked to analyse also for the analysis exam you should slit the answer into two paragraphs each paragraph being a different scene you were asked to analyse, you should also start both paragraphs with a short overall efeffect of the specific scene.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Conniestitution
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
There’s a really good video somewhere on youtube if you search for ‘English language GCSE tips’ - it’s a teenage girl speaking and she got a 9. She mentions things to include in your writing sections that score you a lot of marks.

For English and History: use PETAL. Point, evidence, technique/terminology, analysis, link back to the question. For English, the technique could be mentioning the fact a metaphor was used. That shows awareness of devices. For History, include some terminology in your answer (if it is appropriate) that is relevant and specific to the time period. That shows knowledge of the era.

My very vague but most important piece of advice is LISTEN IN CLASS. If you learn the material in class, it’ll save you hours trying to relearn it all before the exam. Once you’ve learned the material, refreshing it in your memory is as simple as reading a revision guide and going through practise papers to apply it. Work smart, not hard.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
JokerzMan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Mentality, this is the biggest key. If you have the mentality to succeed, the mentality to challenge yourself, to avoid complacency and learn as you've never done before and the drive for success, everything will come in flow.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (124)
17.92%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.4%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (67)
9.68%
How can I be the best version of myself? (209)
30.2%

Watched Threads